Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Apologies in advance, I'm known to ramble.

In 5e, medium creatures control a 5ft cube around them. Clearly they're not actually 5x5x5 ft, but they can choose who is and isn't allowed to move through that space. In BG3, this area is much smaller, roughly the size of the creature themselves. This makes it really tough to properly block off a chokepoint with your frontline. You need two people to block off a single doorway, while in PnP this is usually doable by only one character. Please increase the space that an ally controls so enemies can't just slip in between my fighter and my cleric to kick my wizard's teeth in.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
You could always equip a pole arm you know. That’s what they’re there for. You sacrifice a bit of damage for much greater reach.

stranger
stranger
+1

I would love to see a creature's space better used. Positioning is such a big deal in this game that blocking off a route would be really useful. While we're at it, can we also please clearly show when my path would be entering / exiting a creature's space for an AOO? I know there is some attempt at this with the red circles but too many times I have tried to move around a creature within its space or even jump out of its space for my character to first move erratically and then take an opportunity attack.

A 5x5 cube painted on the floor around each medium creature (or whatever dimensions they choose to go with for this context) would be really useful!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Reach weapons helps with that.
Also, even though in vanilla 5e Enlarge Person doesn't increase reach of the target - it's surely one of things that worth changing.
Maybe even bringing higher-level option, with target growing to huge size (similar to how it's done in Pathfinder 2e). With those changes, huge party member with reach-weapon would have 20ft. reach, or 15ft. with regular weapons.

veteran
veteran
The space doesn't mean much when anyone can jump over you as a bonus action without provoking an AoO.

Link Copied to Clipboard