Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
stranger
stranger
L
Regardless if the math checks out or not it is disappointing and not fun to play. I have 17 charisma, and specialized in persuasion proficiency and my rolls still randomly suck for persuasion. I more often than not fail my checks. The whole purpose of min maxing my charisma and persuasion proficiencies was to play a character good at dialogue so I can see the results of my play through. Not be held hostage to having higher than average stats with mediocre results and not being able to enjoy the character I made and lose out on the cut scenes and fail the dialogue checks I am expecting to see. What's the point of having higher than average charisma with extra proficiency modifiers if it still sucks more than half the time anyways? Why is having high modifiers so punishing? It's like I'm fighting an up hill battle trying to break even. Qualitatively, it just feels off and is not rewarding. They need to either make the rolls less punishing, give some hidden boosts, or re-evaluate the dice mechanics. At this point, I have failed 80% of my persuasion dialogues in the game and just don't feel like playing. My character feels like a charismatic dimwit with the highest stats I can achieve at this point in my play through. And I'm against reloading saved games until I get the result I want. That's just not fun.

E
stranger
stranger
E
There is definitely a huge bias in the rolling that makes even easy checks, say DC 5, only succeed half of the time or less.
There's also the issue that many things are gated behind several checks in a row. I recall a conversation with Shadowheart requiring 3 persuasion checks of increasing DC. Even with friends + guidance + a CHR max character + proficiency some of these checks were 10+ and as we all know that's essentially an impossible roll in their system.

stranger
stranger
Yeah like i tested in a fight a 96% chance to touch i saved and had to reload 4 times to hit.. 96%...

enthusiast
enthusiast
I haven't done any deeper research yet, but I'm sure most of this can be summed up by Tim Cain's QA "Something is wrong with your RNG!" guys.

https://youtu.be/MEewLWDpscA?t=1500

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Sacred Flame is based on Dexterity, not Wisdom (it says so in the tooltip). If you don't have a lot of Dexterity then Sacred Flame is only useful against sleeping/unconscious/prone targets.

S
stranger
stranger
S
I feel the pain of the low rolls, I laugh so hard when I have a skill check of 2, and I rolled a 2! I still passed but come on, I was seriously worried about rolling a 1 and failing such a low skill check because of my experience in the game. I'm playing a Warlock and the hex spell while pretty good in doing necrotic damage and being able to reset after target dies is pretty sweet, the ability modifier seems to be kind of weak. I typically use Hex: Dexterity so shadowhearts sacred flame has a better chance to hit but it doesn't seem to matter much lol. I'm always rolling 2's. Seriously, I check the log and back to back I'm rolling 2's. You see a lot of combat rolls especially when it's 100 goblins to a party of 4. The other bad part is I hit, but i get the lowest possible roll on damage.

For an example, it'll be a check of 12, I get exactly 12, but of the 2 dice rolls I get for damage, they both end up as 1? (1d10 and 1d6 so potentially 16 damage, higher with attribute modifer) Obviously as we get higher and higher levels it'll be a bit easier to hit simply because proficiency and attribute modifiers will make even a 2 hit. But I get pretty tired that there is a possible 20 different numbered outcomes but getting over 5 is impossible. At this point just add 2 actions and make every action have lucky as a passive because people are gonna be upset at these low rolls man.

Has anyone for example tried to use a guided bolt lvl 2 only to see 5 damage.. its a 5d6 man, there is no way you rolled 5 d6's and got a 1 each time, yet I see the lowest possible rolls on damage, Don't get me started on wizard cantrips where its a 1d6 or a 1d8 and repeatedly either the saving throw wins out on the check or is just a flat 1 damage.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
I feel something is up. My first cleric had 50-60% rolls for essentially everything. but I just made a new cleric, same stats (going a different route), and suddenly my guiding bolt and sacred fire were in the 80-90% range? and I've been getting high rolls on Dex checks. By high i mean 15-17

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Alrik
Sacred Flame is based on Dexterity, not Wisdom (it says so in the tooltip). If you don't have a lot of Dexterity then Sacred Flame is only useful against sleeping/unconscious/prone targets.

no. its a confusing/terrible tooltip description in game but it says "attack/save dexterity" because it attacks their dex stat and they have to make a dex save. Your wisdom increases the DC of the check as normal per 5e rules.

as for the topic, I agree the rng seems kinda wonky/weighted, but its likely just bad luck. the probabilities you guys are talking about are misleading; while its true getting a certain number a bunch of times in a row is an infinitesimally small chance, the probability of rolling a certain number is the same no matter how many times you roll it. if you flip a coin, you have a 50/50 chance of it being heads. the next time you flip it, still 50/50. and so on.

as far as the enemies, some of them have definitely been tweaked. the most egregious one I've found is the Minotaurs. 5e minotaurs don't have a long range leap that does AoE damage and knockdown, nor do they have 3 multiattacks. They have a charge/rush, a gore attack, and a greataxe attack. multiattacks are broken currently it seems and will often not use up an action allowing even more attacks

S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by Alrik

Look at it closely when you actually attack with sacred flame, if you check the combat log and scroll over the damage, or miss in most cases unfortunately. You'll see the Spell DC for sacred flame with the cleric, lets say its 14. If the enemy has decent dexterity, then when they roll and have a good modifier, it'll really help prevent the attack from happening (saving throw much like you hitting with a weapon with ac for example, if the number is the same it's a hit, and for saving throws if the number is the same or higher it'll prevent the attack from happening) Before you use sacred flame, take a look at the enemy and examine them and look at their dexterity to get an idea of their modifier. Using a warlock's hex: dexterity will put them at a disadvantage for dexterity saving throw, which does help but won't make it 100% chance to hit like causing them to be prone.

apprentice
apprentice
I got myself into fight defending the Goblin in the cage in the Grove. I had Astarion, Shadowheart and Gale in the party with my character being a Mage.
Got picked up by the two NPC's with bows outside the cave cause all of my spells missed. Every single time. Reloaded the save but this time I just equipped Astarion and Shadowheart with bows and won the battle.

It does seem like the melee and range weapons are better and miss less than spells.

Now I swapped Gale with Lae'zel and all I do is stand the ground and use only bows with Lae'zel and Shadfowheart on the front line in case someone gets closer.
My mage just spams acid and grease and sets all possible surfaces on fire, at least I don't miss those. laugh

It does seem like broken mechanic.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard