Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 29 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 28 29
old hand
old hand
Yeah, I've noticed some people writing "guides" on how you can "win certain fights" usually involving cheese strategies, but that's just dumb. That means the system isn't working as it should. If the combat rules and general rules were more akin to PHB, it would be far better balanced and the fights would be way more enjoyable.

Also all this jump stuff... (completely OP during fights)

Last edited by Lunar Dante; 05/02/21 08:41 AM.
D
D
Automatic advantage when attacking from behind.

S
addict
addict
S
Rogues get proficiency in thieves’ tools in PHB. Since BG3 combines thieves’ tools with Sleight of Hand, rogues should get that skill for free. They shouldn’t have to select Sleight of Hand to pick locks and disable traps.

Last edited by spectralhunter; 05/02/21 04:36 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by andreasrylander
Also many enemies have entirely different stats and abilities.

Enemies having different stats and abilities is mostly fine to me because most DMs add or change things on monsters to suit the encounter and change the experience, most monsters in the MM are meant to be bases I feel and it is up to the DM to use them as is or change things. And in this case Larian is being our DM. Though a lot of other things I would 100 percent want to be closer to base DnD, especially the mage hand issue cause this is gimping familiars hard and gimping summoning in general.

apprentice
apprentice
Rangers don't have to forgoe their action in order to allow their companion to act. Completely different from the Book Ranger. And this is a good thing, because that Book rule nerf of companions is an utter offense to reason and human sensibility.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by CopperCrate
Rangers don't have to forgoe their action in order to allow their companion to act. Completely different from the Book Ranger. And this is a good thing, because that Book rule nerf of companions is an utter offense to reason and human sensibility.

There is unearthed arcana for ranger to not give up their action, and I think changes in tasha's make them A LOT better and not take up the action.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
Originally Posted by CopperCrate

There is unearthed arcana for ranger to not give up their action, and I think changes in tasha's make them A LOT better and not take up the action.

Definite improvement then. Hopefully Larian follow suit.

T
stranger
stranger
T
Yeah, I've noticed some people writing "guides" on how you can "win certain fights" usually involving cheese strategies, but that's just dumb. That means the system isn't working as it should. If the combat rules and general rules were more akin to PHB, it would be far better balanced and the fights would be way more enjoyable.

After I read about Solasta in this thread I tried it. Combat is about 10 times more fun there. So I guess, the best thing I can currently say about Baldur's Gate III, is that I heard about Solasta on its message boards after I was totally frustrated with its combat.

P.S.: It is really sad since I like BG's story, the characters and also the graphics is gorgeous. But currently combat makes the game for me absolutely unplayable.

P.P.S.: And for my tastes the Solasta Encounters are too difficult, just like the ones in Baldur's Gate. But when you have a few more choices than just spamming the "correct" spell and climbing to high ground, and if you actually HIT sometimes with another spell than magic missile (or GASP even with an attack!) and when you miss you know why (it shows you what you are doing wrong, while BG just shows you some silly unexplained percentage that is actually wrong), then even that can be fun.

Last edited by Thomson; 07/02/21 03:11 PM.
G
stranger
stranger
G
Sneak attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon. SO you shouldn't be sneak attacking with a great sword.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Thomson

After I read about Solasta in this thread I tried it. Combat is about 10 times more fun there. So I guess, the best thing I can currently say about Baldur's Gate III, is that I heard about Solasta on its message boards after I was totally frustrated with its combat.

P.S.: It is really sad since I like BG's story, the characters and also the graphics is gorgeous. But currently combat makes the game for me absolutely unplayable.

P.P.S.: And for my tastes the Solasta Encounters are too difficult, just like the ones in Baldur's Gate. But when you have a few more choices than just spamming the "correct" spell and climbing to high ground, and if you actually HIT sometimes with another spell than magic missile (or GASP even with an attack!) and when you miss you know why (it shows you what you are doing wrong, while BG just shows you some silly unexplained percentage that is actually wrong), then even that can be fun.

It does seem as if quite many feel this way about Solasta. I TRULY hope Larian takes notes!

S
addict
addict
S
No languages. It'd be nice if characters could find clues and information depending upon what languages they know. It could even help with eavesdropping. Perhaps the goblins communicate in goblin sometimes assuming the player doesn't understand and reveal some helpful tips or information?

M
M
and when you miss you know why (it shows you what you are doing wrong, while BG just shows you some silly unexplained percentage that is actually wrong)

I think if BG3 could improve on this it would already make a huge difference. I also tried out Solasta and while i like the flow of animations and a couple other things in BG3 better, the collection of actions you can do and the way the game explains/shows what is happening in the background during combat is impressive, it makes the game more accessible and at the same time feels closer to tabletop but stays exciting (for me at least). I do think Larian is working on this, they use to iterate on the UI and mechanics a lot, im looking forward how they are going to tweak BG3 in the upcoming patches.

T
stranger
stranger
T
Originally Posted by Mat22
and when you miss you know why (it shows you what you are doing wrong, while BG just shows you some silly unexplained percentage that is actually wrong)

I think if BG3 could improve on this it would already make a huge difference. I also tried out Solasta and while i like the flow of animations and a couple other things in BG3 better, the collection of actions you can do and the way the game explains/shows what is happening in the background during combat is impressive, it makes the game more accessible and at the same time feels closer to tabletop but stays exciting (for me at least). I do think Larian is working on this, they use to iterate on the UI and mechanics a lot, im looking forward how they are going to tweak BG3 in the upcoming patches.
I really hope so. Currently I am thinking the only thing that would bring me back to BG3 is a "D&D Tabletop Rules" Checkbox, that switches off all their house rules that don't work (at least in my sometimes not so humbly opinion)

However, I have the feeling that the current approach is either a hippo (higest paid person's opinion) or rooted in some kind of hubris by the developers. There is usually absolutely no argument against that and an extremely low chance that it will change.

I really hope that my feelings are wrong.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Mat22

I really hope so. Currently I am thinking the only thing that would bring me back to BG3 is a "D&D Tabletop Rules" Checkbox, that switches off all their house rules that don't work (at least in my sometimes not so humbly opinion)

However, I have the feeling that the current approach is either a hippo (higest paid person's opinion) or rooted in some kind of hubris by the developers. There is usually absolutely no argument against that and an extremely low chance that it will change.

I really hope that my feelings are wrong.

The next patch or update will be very telling.

If they don't acknowledge the flaws in the current system, I hope that mods have full access to combat and the spell system so that actual fans can save the game.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by spectralhunter
Originally Posted by pageu
Magic missiles solve the problem of hag's illusions (and I have 2 casters, gale and astarion as arcane trickster), and astarion is fast enough to save Mayrina in first turn. Shadowheart was only casting Guiding Bolts, and my ranger (I took battle master's skill at 4th lvl) frightened Ethel, so the second turn was the last one for her.

Nice.

Although I do think because BG3 is lacking the Shield spell, magic missiles are much more powerful than they should be all the time.

And fear shouldn’t provoke fleeing and cause an opportunity attack. In fact frightened creatures seem to not do anything other than run. Not that this is the reason you killed her but just something I noticed in gameplay.

I would assume they are using the fear spell, which says that a target frightened by the spell MUST take the dash action and move away from the caster on each of its turns unless it can't move. The frightened condition is closer to what you describe in that it gives the frightened target disadvantage on ability checks and attack rolls while in the presence of what frightened them and they cannot move closer to what frightened them.

old hand
old hand
Yeah, I am surely hoping Larian changes these things or at least allow options for D&D Tabletop Rules innately... worst case scenario, I do at least hope the modding community will be able to implement the true DND rulesets.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Khultak
I would assume they are using the fear spell, which says that a target frightened by the spell MUST take the dash action and move away from the caster on each of its turns unless it can't move. The frightened condition is closer to what you describe in that it gives the frightened target disadvantage on ability checks and attack rolls while in the presence of what frightened them and they cannot move closer to what frightened them.

Unfortunately not; currently ALL fear effects work as functionally turn skips in BG3 - regardless of source. this is made all the more confusing since the description on the fear debuff reads closer to the 5e rules - implying that characters should, indeed, be able to act on their turn at disadvantage, and saying nothing about being forced to run away.

Their implementation of status conditions in general has a lot of very big issues right now, and the mess with the frightened effect is only one of them. (There's a thread here, that breaks most of it down, if you're interested: https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=739348&page=1)

journeyman
journeyman
It really isn't much to ask. There's a core rules setting in BGEE, so I don't see why they can't simply incorporate that into gameplay. Perhaps they could include adjustable settings for similarity to DOS2, or adjust difficulty based upon similarity, if that's to the player's fancy (even though this is a D&D game and imo that would be sacrilegious).

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Roethen
It really isn't much to ask. There's a core rules setting in BGEE, so I don't see why they can't simply incorporate that into gameplay. Perhaps they could include adjustable settings for similarity to DOS2, or adjust difficulty based upon similarity, if that's to the player's fancy (even though this is a D&D game and imo that would be sacrilegious).

Perhaps that WOULD be hard to implement though? I don't know. I sure am hoping a true to ruleset implementation/option set will be available.

Page 16 of 29 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 28 29

Link Copied to Clipboard