Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
apprentice
apprentice
My Ranger main has a healing spell too but I am finding it really difficult without a Rogue, I killed him when he tried to knife me. Good luck getting Shadowheart if you are Gith.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Trabeldor
How did you get 2 warlocks and a ranger?

By building a custom party by starting a LAN game and joining it yourself 3 times.

1. Start a new Multiplayer Game, choose the LAN tab and click Create.
2. Launch the game to get into Character creation. I advise creating your first character now.
3. Alt-tab out and use the executable – not the launcher – to start up the game, it will create a new instance. Join the LAN game you created.
4. Repeat for the other characters.
5. Once everyone has a character created, and their “dream” character created, choose “Venture Forth”.
6. As soon as you’ve done that, immediately alt-tab out and close the other three instances of the game, otherwise your CPU/GPU will have a bad time.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tzelanit
I did my first playthrough with 2 Warlocks, a Wizard, and a Rogue, which is likely the worst possible setup imaginable considering the state of spellcasters right now, and I did well enough.
Manage your short rests and your long rests a bit better.

My opinion is that one of Larian's top priorities should be doing a better job of having the game teach you how to play well. What you're describing is currently far beyond my skill level and the skill level of a lot of players and the game does not do a good job of telling players what they need to know to be good at the game. It leaves a lot of stuff up to the player to figure out without guidance and when you're outnumbered in pretty much every fight, that's not a good thing. The game should not take for granted what the player will figure out and it absolutely needs to assume that a new player does not know D&D rules and systems. I only realized how important using the environment was here on the forums and I'm someone who has been playing cRPGs for close to a decade.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
Originally Posted by Tzelanit
I did my first playthrough with 2 Warlocks, a Wizard, and a Rogue, which is likely the worst possible setup imaginable considering the state of spellcasters right now, and I did well enough.
Manage your short rests and your long rests a bit better.

My opinion is that one of Larian's top priorities should be doing a better job of having the game teach you how to play well. What you're describing is currently far beyond my skill level and the skill level of a lot of players and the game does not do a good job of telling players what they need to know to be good at the game. It leaves a lot of stuff up to the player to figure out without guidance and when you're outnumbered in pretty much every fight, that's not a good thing. The game should not take for granted what the player will figure out and it absolutely needs to assume that a new player does not know D&D rules and systems. I only realized how important using the environment was here on the forums and I'm someone who has been playing cRPGs for close to a decade.

It's a big problem with this genre of games in general. I still remember how hard it was to play bg2 for the first time. If you had no knowledge in dnd you would have to first read a lot because you have so much data on screen and you want to choose attributes and figure out what is best for your character. And then spells were a nightmare to figure out because the description was long and didn't really indicated what is better and Tac0 and saving throws... Boy that was a nightmare lol. Modern games are a little better (in pillars of eternity things are much more clear for example) but in the end the price you pay for choices is the initial confusion.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard