Print Thread
#690664 12/10/20 12:07 PM
C
Catharz Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
It always feels to me like the party is significantly weakened if you don't have a cleric, fighter and rogue. But since I'm playing a wizard, it leaves little scope for taking Gale or Wyll on my adventures. If I do, locked chests and doors are usually what gets left behind. And having somebody with decent nature abilities is almost out of the question.

I know it'd take a fair bit of rebalancing, but I'd love to be able to take a party of 6.

K
stranger
stranger
K
It's made for gameplay purpose, so you always feel that you need to change something and try something else, different tactics etc., before you find your balance, perfection ruins the game. It gives you a desire to play the game once more, with a different party, different decisions and so on.

Last edited by kktttxx; 12/10/20 12:34 PM.
A
apprentice
apprentice
A
i don't agree with you, if you need to always change your party it is just boring and you are spoiling your time changing every time your party, and in combat, you always need healing unless you are 3 or 4 lvl above, so adding other mean make the gameplay more rich.

A
stranger
stranger
A
I agree with Catharz, a party of 6 would be great.

Obviously having a party of 6 leads to the need for greater freedom in companions selection, 5 are too few.

P
stranger
stranger
P
As much as I would like a party of 6 so a custom character and all of the origin characters can be there, I get it if its about balancing.

However 5 could work, if 6 is too much, and multiplayer can be 4 and then they can bring 1 origin character, that way if they have any unique quests or such they can still be there.

I believe Larian said something about having a solo mode where its just a party of 1, they might do a thing for adjusting encounters on party size.

C
Catharz Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Originally Posted by piperface
As much as I would like a party of 6 so a custom character and all of the origin characters can be there, I get it if its about balancing.

However 5 could work, if 6 is too much, and multiplayer can be 4 and then they can bring 1 origin character, that way if they have any unique quests or such they can still be there.

I believe Larian said something about having a solo mode where its just a party of 1, they might do a thing for adjusting encounters on party size.

Interesting... I was wondering if they were going to do lone wolf mode (like DOS2). A friend and I played that with multi-player, and we thought it was way more fun.
I thought it'd be out of the question for BG3, due to the extra points per level breaking 5e rules

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Catharz
Originally Posted by piperface

Interesting... I was wondering if they were going to do lone wolf mode (like DOS2). A friend and I played that with multi-player, and we thought it was way more fun.
I thought it'd be out of the question for BG3, due to the extra points per level breaking 5e rules

I remember reading that Larian was planning to add some sort of `Lone Wolf` trait to the game. It would be something they add after the proper release of BG3.
I forgot where i read this, but I'm pretty sure it was in some Q&A at the bottom of one of the `Larian Gazette` emails.

stranger
stranger
Thinking back to Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 (not going to consider Dark Alliance in this argument) I fondly remember parties of 6. It created a sense of diversity- but you'd also likely have two of one class, allowing for those two classes to approach their character progression differently or provide different versions of that class's function on the battlefield.

The larger parties could conceivably help balance the strength and frequency of long / short rests- providing more CR for the player to work with. It allows for more of the characters Larian is spending so much time on to join up with the party- but also leaves a lot of room for deaths and replacements- of which I think and hope there will be plenty of. I will be more than sorely disappointed if the only party members available to you in the game are the ones we've met. I doubt this to be the case, but I've been disappointed before.

This also opens up more room for multiplayer- allowing 6 people to play (IMO the best size D&D group) or 2 playing 3, 3 playing 2, or even just 4 friends taking one character each and testing themselves against a higher CR combat- or maybe it auto-tunes based on current party CR.

Either way, I whole heartedly agree with OP's sentiment- and I really hope they look at the roots of Baldur's Gate and go with a 6 character party alongside a slew of other recruitable miscreants with memorable voicelines you hear 5,000 times.

Look at all these chickens
enthusiast
enthusiast

Necromancy is just recycling...

Link Copied to Clipboard