Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Joined: Oct 2020
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Goldberry
Originally Posted by AnonySimon
Originally Posted by Goldberry
As for Astarion, I do not know what triggers me the most, if the fact he's an evil vampire spawn, or an elf that doesn't act like an elf at all, or an evil elf vampire spawn who doesn't act like an elf.


I can't agree more. Astarion would make alot more sense based upon his personality and behavior as a half-elf or a human. Hell, Astarion would make more sense behavior-wise as a halfling than as a full-bloodied elf.


I bitched about Astarion and Shadowheart as soon a they were announced, both the elven options leaning towards evil when they should be leaning towards chaotic good. No matter, I gave them a fair chance. My party is Shadowheart, Astarion and Gale, and while I very much enjoy Shadowheart, Astarion is just a major disappointment as an elf.

I do think that the companions are all well written though, to be honest. I'm just really into elves, and in this game they seem to be nothing but another human variant.



Honest question - how are elves supposed to act? I mean tieflings are meant to be evil because of their blood, but we are being told by 5e that they are basically the product of their surroundings, i.e. will become evil if faced with distrust and racism. Wouldn't it be the same thing for elves? I haven't gotten far, but Astarion seems to have as messed up a background as everyone, plus he is a vampire spawn which is the evil creature in itself. If you go back to old games, elves in BG2 Suldanesselar were distrustful of everyone and put geas on Viconia if she was in the party, kicked you out of the city later on and were completely unapologetic for Irenicus. Those were very hypocritical and human things to do.

Last edited by Arideya; 12/10/20 10:24 PM.

There are three things that are strength incarnate: there is love of life, there is fear of death, and there is family. A family that loves death would have a strong pull indeed.
Joined: Jun 2014
P
stranger
Offline
stranger
P
Joined: Jun 2014
Your race/species doesn't determine who you are or what you do with your life except if you're a lizard you probably lay eggs. That's about all I can think of. Your actions determine who you are. Your race can certainly make particular behaviors more or less compatible with your peers but nothing's set in stone, is it?

Joined: Oct 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
I wonder if there will be a quest line for Astarion to cure his condition. Based on rules, you can actually kill and resurrect him as human which obviously doesn't work like it in the game. Having a +1 all throws bite is nice, but may be he is evil because he is a vampire spawn?

Joined: Oct 2020
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
I have much doubt as to whether or not there will be new companions. Look at the loading screens and the like; if there were other companions it would be apparent.

Joined: Oct 2020
U
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
U
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost
I have much doubt as to whether or not there will be new companions. Look at the loading screens and the like; if there were other companions it would be apparent.


Ohhh, if I was Larian I wouldn't want to spoil anything just yet because then people would be banging my door non-stop about releasing new companions - there might be more pictures that are just yet hidden...

Originally Posted by Choosen of KEK
I wonder if there will be a quest line for Astarion to cure his condition. Based on rules, you can actually kill and resurrect him as human which obviously doesn't work like it in the game. Having a +1 all throws bite is nice, but may be he is evil because he is a vampire spawn?


That's my thought process as well. To me, he is first and foremost a vampire spawn. Although I'm not sure if/how he could be healed - it felt more like he just wants to be free, even if it means staying in the dark forever...

Also - isn't Shadowheart a half-elf? Anyways, I don't think just because she's half elf means she has to "behave like an elf". If she grew up around humans, she'd certainly behave more like humans do? At least that's what my experience is.

Joined: Oct 2020
R
stranger
Offline
stranger
R
Joined: Oct 2020
What would be great is that we could hire npcs looking for work or let us create our own hired companion if we got tired of the origin characters, like on pillars of eternity that was a great feature. It was also good for trying out different builds. I do hope they would let us recruit different companions though.

Joined: Feb 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Feb 2020
Originally Posted by Arideya
Honest question - how are elves supposed to act? I mean tieflings are meant to be evil because of their blood, but we are being told by 5e that they are basically the product of their surroundings, i.e. will become evil if faced with distrust and racism. Wouldn't it be the same thing for elves? I haven't gotten far, but Astarion seems to have as messed up a background as everyone, plus he is a vampire spawn which is the evil creature in itself. If you go back to old games, elves in BG2 Suldanesselar were distrustful of everyone and put geas on Viconia if she was in the party, kicked you out of the city later on and were completely unapologetic for Irenicus. Those were very hypocritical and human things to do.


I take it you have never read a manual. One of the reasons I love Forgotten Realms so much as a setting is that they go in great detail describing what makes every folk unique (particularly so in the older editions). There are many things that set elves apart from other races, both mentally, physically and emotionally. They did a great job with Githyankis, per instance, I just wish they would have been as meticulous with every race. Granted, there are so many races, it's difficult to keep track and spend resources on everyone.
Now I am not asking that every elf behaves the same way, that would be boring. But for a world to make sense, and for fantasy races to make sense, the average NPC should behave in the ways that set them apart from humans, otherwise... What is the point, exactly? And so far, no elves have stuck me particularly elvish. The three biggest elven characters I've encountered show no signs, Halsin and Kagha don't even revere an elven deity.



Originally Posted by Usako

Also - isn't Shadowheart a half-elf? Anyways, I don't think just because she's half elf means she has to "behave like an elf". If she grew up around humans, she'd certainly behave more like humans do? At least that's what my experience is.


Shadowheart is hands down the best written companion, she became my favourite much to my own surprise. I'm just disappointed that out of the two characters that have elven blood, be it full or mixed, none display an easily recognizable, stereotypical elven trait.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5