Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by hairyscotsman
Doesn't moving, including jumping, get you out of the small areas generated by cantrips anyway? Cantrips are incredibly weak at-will spells as it is.

Enemies can't jump, and moving normally can re-inflict a status which just ended, dealing additional ticks of damage. And for players, jumping consumes a bonus action, and for better or worse, Larian seems really keen on giving players a lot of things to do with bonus actions.

Yes, there are too many bombs, magic arrows, potions...

G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by Lunar Dante

Yes! Part of the fun of D&D, for me at least, is that people tend to specialize. You're good at some things, mediocre at some things, and really terrible at some things. A game where everyone has ready access to healing and can throw fire in some way means that your choices about classes and how you grow are kind of meaningless.

Make these things special because of their scarcity. Give me a game where the entire world only has two grenades and they may not even work because they're prototypes. If the world is lousy with fancy arrows, for example, isn't that going to make playing an arcane archer feel really lame? I want to do things that no one else can do.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
I love the environment effects feature. Makes combat much more creative and fun.

stranger
stranger
I enjoy the challenge that the various environmental effects bring. However I also agree with others that the damage/effects need a rework. It can get very frustrating dodging or blocking an attack, while still take a d4 of damage, since there is no way to mitigate this environmental AoE.

My solution: Have the environmental effect roll against your AC like any other attack/spell. Or, allow for a save vs DEX once per round while standing within it. With this fix, I believe it would satisfy both sides of this argument.

Just my two copper.

Last edited by Draekore; 13/10/20 09:01 PM. Reason: Spelling
O
journeyman
journeyman
O
Originally Posted by Alrik
I love the environment effects feature. Makes combat much more creative and fun.

Explain to me the design logic behind having to make 4 concentration saving throws from being hit with a *firebolt cantrip*

In D&D 5e environmental effects apply the damage AT THE END OF YOUR TURN

It's a mature, well balanced ruleset, we should just use the rules as intended unless there's a good game reason not to

Last edited by override367; 13/10/20 09:09 PM.
X
apprentice
apprentice
X
Originally Posted by grysqrl
I find the surfaces to be really annoying. The OP made some good points; I have a couple to add.

1) Cantrips should have very limited effects. I'm fine with a cantrip creating a surface, but that should be the only thing that it does. Throwing a bolt of frost at someone for damage should be a separate thing from creating a sheet of ice beneath their feet. When you get into higher-level spells, maybe it makes sense to have a single action do both, but not with cantrips. This is especially annoying when you've got a wizard that needs a way to deal some damage, but doesn't want to create a surface as a result. If you're going to create surfaces as a character, it needs to be intentional.

2) Surfaces shouldn't last forever. Fires should burn out. Ice should melt. Acid should eat through things until it's neutralized. It's frustrating to finish a battle and be stuck behind a wall of fire and not be able to wait it out or dismiss it or anything. I understand wanting to use surfaces as a tactical element in combat, but I want walking around outside of combat to be easy (outside of instances where a surface is placed specifically to be a challenge, of course, but then it had better have some explanation for persisting).

+1

Creative uses of cantrips are fun. They added extra uses for weapons, so extra uses for cantrips are fair too. But it should be one or the other. Firebolt at someone for a lot of damage, or tag their feet to make them move. Same for ray of frost.

+1 to the OP too.

Fire arrows and acid splashes in every single fight is annoying. I've had my entire party dropped in a goblin ambush far too many times. It's not a one off thing. It's al the time.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by grysqrl
Originally Posted by Lunar Dante

Yes! Part of the fun of D&D, for me at least, is that people tend to specialize. You're good at some things, mediocre at some things, and really terrible at some things. A game where everyone has ready access to healing and can throw fire in some way means that your choices about classes and how you grow are kind of meaningless.

Make these things special because of their scarcity. Give me a game where the entire world only has two grenades and they may not even work because they're prototypes. If the world is lousy with fancy arrows, for example, isn't that going to make playing an arcane archer feel really lame? I want to do things that no one else can do.

This is exactly the game's main problem. No feeling of party synergy.

Last edited by JDCrenton; 13/10/20 11:39 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
I mentioned it in my first post similar points to this as a Forever DM and someone who sank like a thousand hours in both DOS1/2. "Just Divinity but with a coat of D&D paint and somehow worse" is my initial impression despite blowing through most of the EA on the harder difficulty.

I find I've removed half of my normal staples from my wizard hot bar because the cantrips including Mage Hand of all things can do all of the work in this iteration. I'm actively seeking to break the game and it shouldn't be this easy. All of my spell slots shouldn't be going purely into raw damage or pumping my AC/hit chance/Healing Word for long range death saving throw denial but that is currently what it feels like the core system is right now. I have so many scrolls and special arrows that I can end fights purely with them and that is NOT okay.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard