Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2020
D
DeHess Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Joined: Oct 2020
I am very much enjoying my experience in this game so far. I am a huge fan of D&D and I love how the devs implemented most of the rules from 5e. I understand that some things needed to be changed from 5e for balance sake. However, some things are just off. And I wish these things were implemented differently:

-Disadvantage for melee attacks in dim light conditions. In 5e, Only ranged attacks have disadvantage, dunno maybe the devs thought it was more balanced this way
-Wizards can learn spells from the spell list of every class. This makes every other spellcasting class useless. In 5e, Wizards can only learn new wizard spells.
-Dual wielding enables a player to offhand attack as a bonus action, even if they did not attack with their action beforehand. This drastically reduces the viability of other ways of speccing a melee character, the pure flexibility dual wielding gives is just too powerful. You cannot do this in 5e.
-The Sleep spell only "stuns" enemies for one effective turn, even though it states it should do so for two. In 5e, creatures are actually asleep for 10 turns, although sleeping creatures can be woken up with an action.
-The Arcane Recovery ability should be usable only after short resting.
-Frightened creatures should only be able to dash away from the creature that frightened them. (Some frightened skellys continued to open sarcophagi in one of my runs)
-Disengaging as a bonus action. In 5e, this is a feature that only rogues have access to. This makes rogues less viable and positioning less important, Pls remove.
-Shoving as a bonus action. Im not sure about this one. In 5e, shoving someone is an action, but Ive always felt that 5e battlefields are way too static, and this remedies the problem quite nicely, I actually think it should stay like this.
-XP is only awarded after resolving an encounter through combat. It rewards murder hobos and punishes roleplay, this is perhaps my biggest gripe so far.

Hope that the devs maybe see this post and rethink the ways in which these features are implemented. Other than that, I really enjoyed my ten hours in this game and I think Larian is doing the lords work with Baldur's Gate 3.





Joined: Oct 2020
B
stranger
Offline
stranger
B
Joined: Oct 2020
XP is awarded after noncombat encounters, it just isn't displayed. This is something that needs to be fixed.

Wizards being able to learn spells of all classes from scrolls is an obvious oversight. It will definitely be fixed prior to the games' full release.

I couldn't see the XP total displayed anywhere on the character sheet screen, which I thought was odd. You never know quite where you are. Alignment isn't displayed either, which I rather liked. You can easily tell a person's alignment from their behaviour, but it's fun to see it roleplayed.

Joined: Oct 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Buttery_Mess
XP is awarded after noncombat encounters, it just isn't displayed. This is something that needs to be fixed.

Wizards being able to learn spells of all classes from scrolls is an obvious oversight. It will definitely be fixed prior to the games' full release.

I couldn't see the XP total displayed anywhere on the character sheet screen, which I thought was odd. You never know quite where you are. Alignment isn't displayed either, which I rather liked. You can easily tell a person's alignment from their behaviour, but it's fun to see it roleplayed.


I had to search for the XP also. It's a slidebar under your character description. It has your current level on the left and next level on the right. Hovering over the bar tells you your XP, and how much you need to level up. It would be much better to see the numbers directly.
There's no alignment (yet) in the EA.

Joined: Oct 2020
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by DeHess
I am very much enjoying my experience in this game so far. I am a huge fan of D&D and I love how the devs implemented most of the rules from 5e. I understand that some things needed to be changed from 5e for balance sake. However, some things are just off. And I wish these things were implemented differently:

-Disadvantage for melee attacks in dim light conditions. In 5e, Only ranged attacks have disadvantage, dunno maybe the devs thought it was more balanced this way
-Wizards can learn spells from the spell list of every class. This makes every other spellcasting class useless. In 5e, Wizards can only learn new wizard spells.
-Dual wielding enables a player to offhand attack as a bonus action, even if they did not attack with their action beforehand. This drastically reduces the viability of other ways of speccing a melee character, the pure flexibility dual wielding gives is just too powerful. You cannot do this in 5e.
-The Sleep spell only "stuns" enemies for one effective turn, even though it states it should do so for two. In 5e, creatures are actually asleep for 10 turns, although sleeping creatures can be woken up with an action.
-The Arcane Recovery ability should be usable only after short resting.
-Frightened creatures should only be able to dash away from the creature that frightened them. (Some frightened skellys continued to open sarcophagi in one of my runs)
-Disengaging as a bonus action. In 5e, this is a feature that only rogues have access to. This makes rogues less viable and positioning less important, Pls remove.
-Shoving as a bonus action. Im not sure about this one. In 5e, shoving someone is an action, but Ive always felt that 5e battlefields are way too static, and this remedies the problem quite nicely, I actually think it should stay like this.
-XP is only awarded after resolving an encounter through combat. It rewards murder hobos and punishes roleplay, this is perhaps my biggest gripe so far.

Hope that the devs maybe see this post and rethink the ways in which these features are implemented. Other than that, I really enjoyed my ten hours in this game and I think Larian is doing the lords work with Baldur's Gate 3.







Great points!!!!

Joined: Oct 2020
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by DeHess
-Disadvantage for melee attacks in dim light conditions. In 5e, Only ranged attacks have disadvantage, dunno maybe the devs thought it was more balanced this way


Incorrect, In 5e, no attacks have disadvantage for dim light. Only perception checks do. Both ranged and melee attacks do have disadvantage if your opponent is heavily obscured however.


Originally Posted by DeHess
-Frightened creatures should only be able to dash away from the creature that frightened them. (Some frightened skellys continued to open sarcophagi in one of my runs)


Not true, the frightened condition states "you have disadvantage on ability checks and attack rolls while the source of your fear is within sight, and you can't willingmy move closer to the source of your fear".

However some sources of the frightened condition add additonal restrictions. E.g. turn undead reads: A turned creature must spend its turns trying to move as far away from you as it can, and it can't willingly move to a space within 30 feet of you. It also can't take Reactions. For its action, it can use only the Dash action or try to escape from an Effect that prevents it from moving.


Other than that I agree with you.

Joined: Oct 2020
G
stranger
Offline
stranger
G
Joined: Oct 2020
I agree with keeping shove a bonus action.
With an emphasis on verticality in encounters, this gives melee characters a good way of interacting with that feature by allowing enemies to be pushed off of high ground. Also allows enemies to be pushed into surface effects which also gives melee characters something to do in that regard.
It also buffs the STR stat which is underpowered in 5e (assuming shove is a STR check, I haven't played DnD in awhile).

Joined: Oct 2020
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by DeHess
I am very much enjoying my experience in this game so far. I am a huge fan of D&D and I love how the devs implemented most of the rules from 5e. I understand that some things needed to be changed from 5e for balance sake. However, some things are just off. And I wish these things were implemented differently:

-Disadvantage for melee attacks in dim light conditions. In 5e, Only ranged attacks have disadvantage, dunno maybe the devs thought it was more balanced this way
-Wizards can learn spells from the spell list of every class. This makes every other spellcasting class useless. In 5e, Wizards can only learn new wizard spells.
-Dual wielding enables a player to offhand attack as a bonus action, even if they did not attack with their action beforehand. This drastically reduces the viability of other ways of speccing a melee character, the pure flexibility dual wielding gives is just too powerful. You cannot do this in 5e.
-The Sleep spell only "stuns" enemies for one effective turn, even though it states it should do so for two. In 5e, creatures are actually asleep for 10 turns, although sleeping creatures can be woken up with an action.
-The Arcane Recovery ability should be usable only after short resting.
-Frightened creatures should only be able to dash away from the creature that frightened them. (Some frightened skellys continued to open sarcophagi in one of my runs)
-Disengaging as a bonus action. In 5e, this is a feature that only rogues have access to. This makes rogues less viable and positioning less important, Pls remove.
-Shoving as a bonus action. Im not sure about this one. In 5e, shoving someone is an action, but Ive always felt that 5e battlefields are way too static, and this remedies the problem quite nicely, I actually think it should stay like this.
-XP is only awarded after resolving an encounter through combat. It rewards murder hobos and punishes roleplay, this is perhaps my biggest gripe so far.

Hope that the devs maybe see this post and rethink the ways in which these features are implemented. Other than that, I really enjoyed my ten hours in this game and I think Larian is doing the lords work with Baldur's Gate 3.


1. Dim light should not impose disadvantage at all, however darkness imposes disadvantage on both melee and ranged attack, BG3 implemented it correctly

2. True, apparently it's a bug ?

3. You are correct that it's a buff, however it should be noted that duel wielding in 5e is regarded as underpowered. I do not think that allowing the flexibility pushes it over the shield, or 2H weapons.

4. Agreed, it feels bad considering the HP cap on the spell

5. Agreed

6. Frightened condition works correctly. https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/basic-rules/appendix-a-conditions#Frightened
Unless you mean the turn undead, in that specific instance the turn has an additional effect that forces the enemies to run away, however the effect itself does not force them to dash every turn. Merely allows it as the only action they can take https://www.dndbeyond.com/classes/cleric

7. Agreed, disengage should be an action

9. XP awarding needs more clarity, you do get the XP for quest. Heck you get way more xp that way, than from the combat (at least in my opinion, I did not keep records), game feels more like running on milestone xp rules. Honestly ? I think the experience should be awarded using milestone rules.


Last edited by Bearhugger; 12/10/20 10:54 PM.
Joined: Oct 2020
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
That's why most martial (melee) characters end up getting 2, and some, like fighters even 3 attack actions per turn. So they can do a shove and a regular attack in the same round in 5e. Which means caster classes have to rely on other tactics, like their spells to accomplish similar results. Believe it or not, the 45 year old game D&D has actually managed to balance classes and combat fairly well through the decades. Larian rewriting half the rules for their one game, which was advertised and sold as a 5e D&D, with most changes being poorly thought out, and not conducive to the core mechanics of 5e is a travesty. Their changes have thrown the balance of classes and combat all out of whack, and it's an insult to D&D, and the people who've invested in a game promised to deliver 5e D&D to the consumer.

Last edited by ReaLMoisan; 12/10/20 10:01 PM.
Joined: Oct 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by ReaLMoisan
That's why most martial (melee) characters end up getting 2, and some, like fighters even 3 attack actions per turn. So they can do a shove and a regular attack in the same round in 5e.


I think this was done to reduce the amount of "currency" that players use. In a pen & paper RPG these can be made on the fly, including whereas in a video game you need to streamline them as much as possible to make the UX approachable.

Joined: Oct 2020
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
I have no idea what you're actually trying to say here, but PnP, D&D has been accurately and faithfully adapted to PC games for over 30 years now. Larian isn't breaking new ground here, except for making the least faithful adaption of a PC game with the D&D licence ever made. Ever.


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5