Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#692264 12/10/20 10:07 PM
OP Offline
My 3rd level party was almost wiped by a single frog with just 12 hit points. The frog gave me just 1 xp, meaning I was probably missing some strategy here. And, it jumps around a lot. You can find this frog in the Putrid Bog area. It has some reflective effect on it that makes all your projectiles go back to the caster/shooter. And it has some pretty bad ass AC, making most melee hits miss. I ended up with rogue and fighter mirroring frog's jumps under jump spell and cleric reviving my mage every turn because the frog decided to go for the mage with its attacks. What did I miss here? lae'zel finally landed a hit, but it was like turn 5.

Last edited by Choosen of KEK; 12/10/20 10:08 PM.
stranger
stranger
I literally just encountered this frog. What in the hell is going on? I passed my skill checks, but it attacks. And it is literally the single most difficult monster I've encountered yet.

R
apprentice
apprentice
R
He was a pain for his hps, but I didn't have nearly as hard of a time with it. He lasted 2, maybe 3 rounds. I just know he's infused with magic from Auntie Ethel. I wonder if taking him out first doesn't somehow weaken her.

apprentice
apprentice
After killing Ethel, I encountered the frog and spoke to it with the Potion of Animal-Whatever. It led me to a hidden treasure bag that didn't contain anything too noteworthy.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Draekore
I literally just encountered this frog. What in the hell is going on? I passed my skill checks, but it attacks. And it is literally the single most difficult monster I've encountered yet.

Same! I passed an Animal Handling check followed by a Slight of Hand check, "who's a good froggo?". Then it just attacked me, I was well confused. I just wanted a pet frog.

Same here, my whole party fell down from the rotten log (not the most careful person here) taking significant fall damage, then my ranger just wanted to pet a frog - oh boy did it wipe the floor with us. But I'm pretty sure that's intentional and find it rather hilarious

Last edited by Azarielle; 13/10/20 04:25 PM. Reason: typos
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Azarielle
find it rather hilarious

Absolutely. Two party member under a jump spell mirroring the frog jumps, third party member reviving the mage every turn. I only later realized that Mage Armor is "until rest" spell that should be cast after you wake up.

A
stranger
stranger
A
I met the frog, talked to it, said it was beautiful, and it looked happy and that was that.. LOL You guys all had more fun than I did.. maybe I should have attacked!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Choosen of KEK
My 3rd level party was almost wiped by a single frog with just 12 hit points. The frog gave me just 1 xp, meaning I was probably missing some strategy here. And, it jumps around a lot. You can find this frog in the Putrid Bog area. It has some reflective effect on it that makes all your projectiles go back to the caster/shooter. And it has some pretty bad ass AC, making most melee hits miss. I ended up with rogue and fighter mirroring frog's jumps under jump spell and cleric reviving my mage every turn because the frog decided to go for the mage with its attacks. What did I miss here? lae'zel finally landed a hit, but it was like turn 5.

Hmmm... I met it..had speak with animals on, and it was listed as "confused Frog" and I was friendly to it, and it went on it's merry way.

Of course I also had "speak with animals" on when meeting "the sheep" and we decided to just treat them as sheep and we all ignore each other...seems to work out fine.

journeyman
journeyman
That frog was an unexpected badass.

addict
addict
He was - took quite some killing...

veteran
veteran
Sorry for necroing, but I just encountered that frog. Normally I come to Ethels hut from the otehr side and never encountered that badass froggo. Is there a story to it? Is it cursed by Ethel?
I saved before talking to the frog, messed up animal handling and Astarion killed it with backstab. After that he turned hostile and attacked the party. I'm ok with killing Astarion, but in this playthrough, I need him as my trap finder and lock opener, so I reload, succeeded in teh animal handling check and the frog calmed down.
Do we get the whole story or is the frog just some interesting find along the way? I didn't found much on the net other than people were complaining about the frog being hard to kill.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
addict
addict
Originally Posted by fylimar
Sorry for necroing, but I just encountered that frog. Normally I come to Ethels hut from the otehr side and never encountered that badass froggo. Is there a story to it? Is it cursed by Ethel?
I saved before talking to the frog, messed up animal handling and Astarion killed it with backstab. After that he turned hostile and attacked the party. I'm ok with killing Astarion, but in this playthrough, I need him as my trap finder and lock opener, so I reload, succeeded in teh animal handling check and the frog calmed down.
Do we get the whole story or is the frog just some interesting find along the way? I didn't found much on the net other than people were complaining about the frog being hard to kill.

This frog is really hard to kill...

But I don't understand, did Astarion attack the frog himself? Also, I think this is some kind of unfinished moment, just like with Ethel's mirror. I still haven't figured out how to help someone who's trapped in a mirror. When Ethel is dead, the frog is no longer aggressive and doesn't seem to attack you, but it continues to be just a frog. I thought it was an enchanted person or something like that. I used all of Ethel's bottles, but none of them helped me.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Nyloth

This frog is really hard to kill...

But I don't understand, did Astarion attack the frog himself? Also, I think this is some kind of unfinished moment, just like with Ethel's mirror. I still haven't figured out how to help someone who's trapped in a mirror. When Ethel is dead, the frog is no longer aggressive and doesn't seem to attack you, but it continues to be just a frog. I thought it was an enchanted person or something like that. I used all of Ethel's bottles, but none of them helped me.

No, in the first try, I botched the animal handling dice roll and teh frog became aggressive. I used the sleep spell on teh frog and then Astarion did his normal backstab attack and rolled a 20. After that, he became aggressive (not that he is the nicest person normally, but at least, he doesn't attack on sight grin.
I thought so. Maybe Ethel enchanted the frog to be a guard.

Doctor Who
R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
Take a potion of animal speaking. Or just walk on by. If you talk to it, there is exactly one option in the whole dialog chain that will result in combat - everything else, you may get some hints about it and/or Ethyl.

Fight option:
At one point, you have the option to say something like you could kill it by stepping on it. That starts the combat.

Spoiler the frog is the sixth companion, ea is still working on his introduction

veteran
veteran
I've not engaged violently with this frog... but if it's only got 12hp, then surely a single dissonant whisper, or other leveled saving throw spell would do for it?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Niara
I've not engaged violently with this frog... but if it's only got 12hp, then surely a single dissonant whisper, or other leveled saving throw spell would do for it?

He has very high armor class or maybe it's some magic. But I was only able to kill him, when I put himto sleep first. He didn't take any damage before.
I did reload though, because I thought, he might be one of Ethels victims.

Doctor Who
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Originally Posted by A Clown
Spoiler the frog is the sixth companion, ea is still working on his introduction

What ? (I'm not skilled in understanding if a single phrase is serious or a joke :P )

In my two runs I met the damn amphibious and always my party was baddly beaten. Now I'm gonna try again with a level 4 party.

veteran
veteran
He has very high armor class or maybe it's some magic. But I was only able to kill him, when I put himto sleep first. He didn't take any damage before.
I did reload though, because I thought, he might be one of Ethels victims.

Er, AC is irrelevant to saving throw spells.

I just went and poked the frog with one of my save files... just Dia, my warlock. Started combat, hexed it, and then cast dissonant whispers on it, it failed its saving throw (13-1), took 14 damage and died.

It's reflective mucus just reflects projectiles, and it goes away as soon as it does one, and it gets mirror image for free when combat starts, which in larain-verse means that it has a large boost to AC, which decreases with each miss rolled against it. It doesn't have any particular defence against saving throw spells, or any other source of guaranteed damage (as most leveled damage-dealing spells are)

It doesn't seem like it's meant to be a hugely challenging fight.... what's its damage output like? The couple of times I reloaded and repeated the fight, it never got a turn where it had control enough to attack.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard