Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Originally Posted by Bufotenina
Originally Posted by A Clown
Spoiler the frog is the sixth companion, ea is still working on his introduction

What ? (I'm not skilled in understanding if a single phrase is serious or a joke :P )

In my two runs I met the damn amphibious and always my party was baddly beaten. Now I'm gonna try again with a level 4 party.

Ah I'm sorry it was meant to be a joke :P

As much as I want the frog to be a companion I doubt he will be sadly

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
(ahah you and I would have really weird parties laugh mine would be my toon, Zazza the goblin, the white frog, and Us the intellectual devourer laugh laugh )

Originally Posted by Bufotenina
(ahah you and I would have really weird parties laugh mine would be my toon, Zazza the goblin, the white frog, and Us the intellectual devourer laugh laugh )

+100 for that party XD

OP Offline
Originally Posted by A Clown
Spoiler the frog is the sixth companion, ea is still working on his introduction
It is too OP to be a companion smile Has to be nerfed. Having said that, it would be nice to have it as a familiar.

Originally Posted by Niara
I've not engaged violently with this frog... but if it's only got 12hp, then surely a single dissonant whisper, or other leveled saving throw spell would do for it?
The thing reflects all magic and projectiles, has a very high AC and maintains the distance by jumping. You basically have to become the frog to match that level of skill (jump spell on melee characters and hope they eventually hit, took me a few turns and a couple of revivals). I am doing my 2nd walkthough as a Ranger so may be I should indeed try to talk to it.

Last edited by Choosen of KEK; 24/01/21 03:37 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Choosen of KEK
The thing reflects all magic and projectiles, has a very high AC and maintains the distance by jumping. You basically have to become the frog to match that level of skill (jump spell on melee characters and hope they eventually hit, took me a few turns and a couple of revivals). I am doing my 2nd walkthough as a Ranger so may be I should indeed try to talk to it.

Er, no, that's not accurate.

As I said in the follow up post...

I just went and poked the frog with one of my save files... just Dia, my warlock. Started combat, hexed it, and then cast dissonant whispers on it, it failed its saving throw (13-1), took 14 damage and died.

It's reflective mucus just reflects projectiles, and it goes away as soon as it does one, and it gets mirror image for free when combat starts, which in larain-verse means that it has a large boost to AC, which decreases with each miss rolled against it. It doesn't have any particular defence against saving throw spells, or any other source of guaranteed damage (as most leveled damage-dealing spells are)

It doesn't seem like it's meant to be a hugely challenging fight.... what's its damage output like? The couple of times I reloaded and repeated the fight, it never got a turn where it had control enough to attack.

It doesn't 'reflect' magic at all. It reflects anything that it counts as a projectile, which includes magic missile, but doing so also dispels the buff, so you can target it with impunity after that, and it has no defence at all against saving throw spells.

This is just a case of playing smarter not harder.

OP Offline
It doesn't 'reflect' magic at all. It reflects anything that it counts as a projectile, which includes magic missile, but doing so also dispels the buff, so you can target it with impunity after that, and it has no defence at all against saving throw spells.

This is just a case of playing smarter not harder.
I don't know, may be it got nerfed smile It definitely reflected more than one thing on me, including a couple of arrows and yes, the magic missile. It was on a fairly old patch though, so may part of the challenge can be attributed to me not knowing the mechanics well enough yet.

veteran
veteran
I doubt they changed it, though it's possible (probable even) that it refreshes its mucus each turn (it didn't survive long enough in any of my checks). It counts magic missile as a single attack and reflects all three darts, but that still dispels the mucus once it does so. Anything that forces a save instead, such as burning hands, dissonant whispers, etc., will work just fine.

A
A
It spits poison (IIRC) with a splash zone, which deals a fair chunk of damage - comparable to the Spider Matriarch.

addict
addict
When my ranger talked to the frog, it said it wanted to be killed.
But fighting it was a disaster. Only after a sleep spell and a powered whack from Lae"zel 's greatsword was its misery ended.
But then Lae'zel went mad and attacked the rest of the party. Fortunately the madness subsided after a round or two.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard