Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I found that the heals are too few and needing to waste spell slots casting them instead of offense or crowd control is too undesirable.

On the other hand, the game throws bountiful healing potions at you to use instead, the only thing I really find using Shadowheart for is guidance for skill rolls, and you can get the guidance cantrip on an item instead.

I'm going to try my next playthrough without her and use Lae'Zal instead, and also swap out Gale for Wyll so I can give all the characters a good try, I've currently been using Shdowheart, Astarion and Gale along with playing a Wizard because I love dual wizards.

I think I will try playing as a ranger without any wizards but Wyll instead next, or even just start another new game with that set up now.

Oh and you can use a dex based ranger for traps / locks too, so I could actually keep gale and dump Astarion, though he is my favourite out of the companions.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 12/10/20 10:55 PM.
veteran
veteran
In 5e, even around the table, healing is unable to keep up with damage, and it's typically best used for getting Downed people up, and for after combat.

I did my first (incomplete) playthrough deliberately with her on the bench to see how combat worked without a cleric, and it seemed to work okay. but I didn't get into a lot of huge fights, just smaller ones.

Bless/Bane is kinda nice though. Healing via healing potions is better than cleric on low level. Assuming you can get enough of those.

K
stranger
stranger
K
A big part of it surely is quaffing healing potions being a bonus action. Not that I think that's bad for a game like this. It's a pretty popular homebrew in 5e, anyway.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Knightcrawler
A big part of it surely is quaffing healing potions being a bonus action. Not that I think that's bad for a game like this. It's a pretty popular homebrew in 5e, anyway.

That's because healing is unable to keep up with damage, so needing to take a full action to drink a potion is usually unproductive.

G
journeyman
journeyman
G
This is one area where I think Pathfinder rules got it right with Clerics being able to Channel Energy for AOE friendly heals. It allows them to fulfill their primary role as a healer while saving their spell slots for buffs, debuffs or offense.

apprentice
apprentice
Rests, Food and potions breakes healling core gameplay.

But Life Domain Cleric is still pretty good

Still there is temporary hp spells and mechanics

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Choosen of KEK
Bless/Bane is kinda nice though. Healing via healing potions is better than cleric on low level. Assuming you can get enough of those.

The bane bracers take care of one of those, but you need to wait until you get to Priestess Gut for the blessing to use them without penalty.

Started my Ranger playthrough until it crashed, going to try this trapper Ranger with Lae'zal Wyll and Gale.

Rangers being able to play trapper seems too good to be true, and eventually I would love to use a Bard for either of the caster slots.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 12/10/20 11:57 PM.
D
stranger
stranger
D
Nope you dont need one, I have done a full run, including defeating the Githyanki at the bridge without the need for a healer, just food and healing potions

A
stranger
stranger
A
Food is OP, spending your bonus action in eating potatoes carrots and apples works just fine in combat to sustain heal, my fighter after each attack eats an apple. Besides, if in need you can always eat a chunk of meat between spells lol

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Prayer of Healing being an insta cast, instead of 60 round cast (10 minutes) is a REALLY good argument for clerics. 2d8+3 to EVERYONE for a level 2 cast.
Also food can get heavy, my food bag is at 20 lbs by the Grove, when I stopped picking up ALL the food I came across.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Loki the Cat
Prayer of Healing being an insta cast, instead of 60 round cast (10 minutes) is a REALLY good argument for clerics. 2d8+3 to EVERYONE for a level 2 cast.
Also food can get heavy, my food bag is at 20 lbs by the Grove, when I stopped picking up ALL the food I came across.

You only get a few uses per long rest though. Its not at all reliable for sustained healing unless you keep long resting after every few battles.

F
apprentice
apprentice
F
Originally Posted by Loki the Cat

Prayer of Healing is also out-of-combat only, so it's basically just a second, worse Short Rest.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Healing from cleric is quite good I find, especially the healing spell taking only a bonus action to cast. This one is a must for an offensive cleric build.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm using the companion Cleric mostly for Bless (10 turns buff for 3x allies or 4x if spell level 2) and healing downed.

Of course I would pick 2 warriors instead or 2 wizards, but can't in EA (my char is Ranger, Hunter), and there are just limited companions.

N
old hand
old hand
N
I am doing a tandem main rogue + Shadowheart at the moment. 2 characters party. And her help is really good for a rogue, especially with her cantrip +10 to stealth lol, And as I wrote earlier, her healing as a bonus action is invaluable.

Last edited by Nyanko; 13/10/20 09:17 AM.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Nyanko
I am doing a tandem main rogue + Shadowheart at the moment. 2 characters party. And her help is really good for a rogue, especially with her cantrip +10 to stealth lol, And as I wrote earlier, her healing as a bonus action is invaluable.

Why when potions and food are already bonus actions, allowing you to use more offensive spells?

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 13/10/20 11:52 AM.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard