Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
journeyman
journeyman
When I saw the use of shit, I was perfectly immersed. However, for whatever reason, the word fuckers broke me. *shrug* I think in all my experience, f-bombs were always replaced with something else. And even if it became kraft level of cheese, it added some levity to the setting. Which, also breaks immersion.

Rock and a hard place with this to me. If it breaks my immersion, it isn't long before something in the game sucks me back in. So it is not too high on the priority list for make or break to me.

addict
addict
Yeah, it all has to do with the writer's ... uhh, well it's, aah ... oh @#$%, I forgot what I was going to say.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Argyle
Yeah, it all has to do with the writer's ... uhh, well it's, aah ... oh @#$%, I forgot what I was going to say.

brain fart

enthusiast
enthusiast
I think it all depends on the game world itself. The Witcher series is a perfect example of a world so gritty that it would feel odd NOT To have a ton of cursing, much of which would be familiar. Most FR games though, I honestly prefer the type of curses FR has developed over the years, racial, religious and so on. Most players comprehend comments about dwarves and beards, without much effort, for example, and they are colorful enough to get the point across.

Sorry, but I simply can't picture Elminster turning to one of the Seven Sisters and saying, "Shit, I forgot to bring fucking toilet paper for the magic outhouse."

Z
Zress Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Z
Originally Posted by Anfindel
I think it all depends on the game world itself. The Witcher series is a perfect example of a world so gritty that it would feel odd NOT To have a ton of cursing, much of which would be familiar. Most FR games though, I honestly prefer the type of curses FR has developed over the years, racial, religious and so on. Most players comprehend comments about dwarves and beards, without much effort, for example, and they are colorful enough to get the point across.

Sorry, but I simply can't picture Elminster turning to one of the Seven Sisters and saying, "Shit, I forgot to bring fucking toilet paper for the magic outhouse."

1+

old hand
old hand
I wish Astarion would ask me if he could fondle my hmmm.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
I have absolutely no problem with profanities being used in this game. However, I also feel that the 'fuck' specifically is too modern (even though I know it's an old word). All other variations of profanity or swearing just seem to fit better. And I would also like more setting-specific swearing (Like "by the tits of Tymora" and variations thereof).

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Just to point out that Medieval and pre-Medieval swearing existed, it just doesn't occur to us now because it was so rarely written down as it was used. Chaucer's Canterbury Tales are noted for the profanities used throughout, the whole book often reads like a modern film script and is bawdy enough to be a Carry On film. The 1382 Wycliffite bible (of all things) similarly contains plenty of words that were either just about on the edge of respectability or were obviously profane.

Shakespeare was hardly going to litter his verses with base profanities given the issues that playwrights already had with contemporary censors, and he was never going to have a character tell another to 'Fuck Off' when the play might be attended by nobility or even royalty.

mfr Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by vyvexthorne
Yeah.. the word fuck does feel fairly modern even if it might not be. Words like bleedin', bloody and shyte, could all easily replace it and fit in well with the already British accents.. Also, what's up with every race having British accents?

It definitely is not modern. There is a book which records of a flyting in the reign of James 5th (of Scotland). He died in 1542. (A flyting is a contest between poets where they use a particular verse form to insult each other. Scottish poets were master of this genre.) The word used is wanfuckit, and there is an online translation of the flyting. Look for the flyting of Dunbar and Kennedy.

And that's the end of the history lesson.

Someone must have spiked her senna pod drink!
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Slapstick
I have absolutely no problem with profanities being used in this game. However, I also feel that the 'fuck' specifically is too modern (even though I know it's an old word). All other variations of profanity or swearing just seem to fit better. And I would also like more setting-specific swearing (Like "by the tits of Tymora" and variations thereof).

Maybe you could play the game in your 'safe space' smile

.i.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Zress
Originally Posted by Anfindel

1+

Eliminster - would be far more likely to say that then most others of his political station. Read the book about his life. I can surmise it's stages

child = sheep herder

teenager = sheep herder turned thief

early adult = thief, and womanizer

after womanizer - slept with a goddess, became one of Mystras Chosen

so why a former thief, sheepard, womanizer, known drinker would not have, or say 'Shit, I forgot to bring (yeah they don't have toilet paper) a towel for the privvy. ' Is actually really simple, comes in one word, very low and easy to use. Prestidegation.

Z
Zress Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Z
Originally Posted by spaceweed10â„¢
Originally Posted by Slapstick

Maybe you could play the game in your 'safe space' smile

I am not offended by the curse words, its just not following other D&D products, that's all. I really think it's the only D&D game out there with those words. It's a case of immersion not my poor delicate soul, that can't handle this bad, evil, mean meanie pants words. To me, as someone who played most if not all the PC D&D games, I never encountered it before before, and I really think that so far those games handled things quite nice without resorting to this. I understand that this words are old, this is not my point, because the forgotten realms is not earth's past. It's a totally different wold and universe.
The old games, and many other games were able to express mature content and events without NPCs calling you fucker and bullshit and fuck you. It makes the writing feel cheap and infantile.

Last edited by Zress; 14/10/20 11:44 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard