Hi everybody,

I really like the game and I have to admit that many things I feared about it were wrong. There are according to me many things to work on for it to really look like a "BG new gen" and stop comparisons with DoS (that are nearly everywhere atm)... But I really think Larian is on the right way to bring BG3 to the legendary levels of BG1/2.

That said, one of the most difficult discussion about the game is the party size.

Many like 4 but a lot of us want 6 and many others suggest 5.

To be honnest, 6 is my own preferences but 5 is the best compromise... That's not what I suggest.

What I suggest is to INCREASE the party size, whatever is the number.

There are many value to increase the party size.

- combats will be faster.
There's no need to add ennemies so you'll deal with them faster. The difficulty can be adjusted somewhere else IF needed. I personnaly think that it's not necessary since the game is actually not "normal" for newcomers but a little bit hard. Try to play i.e with a warrior, gale, wyll and shadowheart and you'll notice that it's not easy.
The NUMBERS of ennemies suits a party of 4 to 6 without any problems.

- the resting system is another things players talk about.
With more companions, you won't HAVE to rest after 1 or 2 combats because you'll have more options, more spells, more abilities, more heal,... to use and/or keep for the next combat or to prepare it.

- variety in parties composition.
Usually, players that won't play the game 36 times enjoy playing with a classic composition. A warrior, a spellcaster, a thief and a healer. There are often little variation but that's the basics.
Having more party members give us the possibility to take one or two "bonus", like i.e a bard or a barbarian.
I absolutely know that I won't enjoy many classes with only 4 party members because I usually don't play a game more than twice every one or two years... And I think that's what a lot of solo RPG players are doing.
More companions allow a little bit more creativity and that's definitely what RPG should do (and on other points, Larian do it well)

- replay value
Whatever you'll play once, twice or 36 times... If you increase the party size and/or the companions numbers, there are usually many more combinations, which is good for replay value.
Please don't ask me to do the maths again but that's a fact.

You also have more interractions, more quests, more romance options, more management, more...

MORE is definitely what BG3 deserve.

I guess no one is going to blame the game because you CAN play with more characters. But many blame it because you can't.
This could be one of the compromise that could greatly increase the hype arround the game in the different community of players.

I really hope we'll all still enjoy the game in 20 years but I think some things has to be done to become a real legend like BG1/2.

Increase the party size in the base game is definitely one of those things.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 13/10/20 07:29 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus