Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#693086 13/10/20 08:02 AM
Joined: Oct 2020
Medirby Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Joined: Oct 2020
When I play D&D I at times try to spare enemies I fight because I don't believe in going ham on a few poor thieves that are just trying to get by by robbing me, or killing a guy I had a disagreement and a few thrown out curse words with. I haven't gotten far enough into the story to really find an option for it yet but is there an option to not kill enemies and instead just knock them out after a fight? If not I think it should be added. I think it would lead into interesting dialogues or maybe different quest lines, such as a mad woman running up to you and because you knocked her out you realize she was being mind controlled by an evil wizard just nearby.

It's something small but I think it would add a bit more to my characters personally because I always try to be a "goody two-shoes" when I play D&D.


Elf Cleric for Hire! I only accept gold or compliments to my healing. Doubting me costs EXTRA.
Joined: Oct 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
There sometimes is option to spare them.But msot of them are too stupid to ask for mercy.

Joined: Oct 2020
V
member
Offline
member
V
Joined: Oct 2020
When you defend Ethel from the two boys I wondered if you can knock them unconscious instead or if this encounter is forced.

Joined: Oct 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
I knocked them, but game say that I killed them frown

Joined: Jun 2019
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Jun 2019
Originally Posted by Medirby
When I play D&D I at times try to spare enemies I fight because I don't believe in going ham on a few poor thieves that are just trying to get by by robbing me, or killing a guy I had a disagreement and a few thrown out curse words with. I haven't gotten far enough into the story to really find an option for it yet but is there an option to not kill enemies and instead just knock them out after a fight? If not I think it should be added. I think it would lead into interesting dialogues or maybe different quest lines, such as a mad woman running up to you and because you knocked her out you realize she was being mind controlled by an evil wizard just nearby.

It's something small but I think it would add a bit more to my characters personally because I always try to be a "goody two-shoes" when I play D&D.


This would be compatible with 5e rules and I agree should be an option. We should not be forced into being murder-hobos.

Originally Posted by 5e Player's Handbook pg.198
Knocking a Creature Out

Sometimes an attacker wants to incapacitate a foe,
rather than deal a killing blow. When an attacker
reduces a creature to 0 hit points with a melee attack,
the attacker can knock the creature out. The attacker
can make this choice the instant the damage is dealt.
The creature falls unconscious and is stable.


If they were creative, they could even re-purpose many of the "Speak With Dead" options we might have and offer an "Interrogate" option after subduing an enemy in this way.

The truth is that subduing and interrogating enemies is a far more common "thing" in D&D than killing and speaking with dead when you want to get some additional information out of an antagonist.

Joined: Oct 2020
J
stranger
Offline
stranger
J
Joined: Oct 2020
Quote
I knocked them, but game say that I killed them


A recurring theme, unfortunately. I knocked out lots of NPC's that I didn't really want to kill with the hopes that I could interrogate them afterwards but I don't think I encountered any instances where I could speak with or otherwise have a unique interaction with a knocked out NPC over multiple playthroughs. Not only that, but the game seems to interpret knocking an NPC out the same as killing them when it comes to dialogue with other NPC's.

I find it strange that they explicitly included a "knock unconscious" action but it seems to have virtually no impact when you make the effort to do it. Not only that, but they actually made it significantly harder to knock NPC's out than it is in RAW 5E - which really drove up my expectations in terms of potential rewards for doing it.

I can only hope that their intent is to elaborate on it, hopefully this changes by release. I know it's not reasonable to expect that I can knock out any NPC in the game and expect the main story to accommodate, but they either need to remove the button or actually implement some sort of impact.

Last edited by Jahnooska; 13/10/20 08:48 AM.
Joined: Oct 2020
V
member
Offline
member
V
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Jahnooska
Quote
I knocked them, but game say that I killed them


A recurring theme, unfortunately. I knocked out lots of NPC's that I didn't really want to kill with the hopes that I could interrogate them afterwards but I don't think I encountered any instances where I could speak with or otherwise have a unique interaction with a knocked out NPC over multiple playthroughs. Not only that, but the game seems to interpret knocking an NPC out the same as killing them when it comes to dialogue with other NPC's.

I find it strange that they explicitly included a "knock unconscious" action but it seems to have virtually no impact when you make the effort to do it. Not only that, but they actually made it significantly harder to knock NPC's out than it is in RAW 5E - which really drove up my expectations in terms of potential rewards for doing it.

I can only hope that their intent is to elaborate on it, hopefully this changes by release. I know it's not reasonable to expect that I can knock out any NPC in the game and expect the main story to accommodate, but they either need to remove the button or actually implement some sort of impact.


On the other hand, what I did not try and this is a minor spoiler, although also hinted at in loading screens, is to speak to the corpses. Now there was an item I found in a dungeon, which lets me speak to dead people, although it says in the loading screens that they would not talk to their murderer, so it would be interesting to try that, and I wonder if the option is included for every dead body you find/create.

Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
veteran
Online Content
veteran
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
Originally Posted by Jahnooska
Quote
I knocked them, but game say that I killed them


A recurring theme, unfortunately. I knocked out lots of NPC's that I didn't really want to kill with the hopes that I could interrogate them afterwards but I don't think I encountered any instances where I could speak with or otherwise have a unique interaction with a knocked out NPC over multiple playthroughs. Not only that, but the game seems to interpret knocking an NPC out the same as killing them when it comes to dialogue with other NPC's.

I find it strange that they explicitly included a "knock unconscious" action but it seems to have virtually no impact when you make the effort to do it. Not only that, but they actually made it significantly harder to knock NPC's out than it is in RAW 5E - which really drove up my expectations in terms of potential rewards for doing it.

I can only hope that their intent is to elaborate on it, hopefully this changes by release. I know it's not reasonable to expect that I can knock out any NPC in the game and expect the main story to accommodate, but they either need to remove the button or actually implement some sort of impact.

Yeah, that's the hope. Right now attempting to keep someone alive feels live window dressing that doesn't have any real impact in the game.
For all intents and purposes, a "knocked out" character remains a corpse, he never seems to "come back to life" nor is ever acknowledged as "spared".

Last edited by Tuco; 13/10/20 09:43 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Joined: Oct 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Oct 2020
Yeah, had a similar issue with Nettie - after I had to knock her out due to bad rolls. Later on she got up but remains always hostile and at 1 hp, despite resolving the Druid quests in the best way possible. And the other druids don't care,

Joined: Oct 2020
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Tuco

Yeah, that's the hope. Right now attempting to keep someone alive feels live window dressing that doesn't have any real impact in the game.
For all intents and purposes, a "knocked out" character remains a corpse, he never seems to "come back to life" nor is ever acknowledged as "spared".


I am pretty sure they will consequences sparing some of the NPC's at least. I do not think they would have added the ability to knock people out if they weren't planning to. But then again, it might be a ton of work to script outcomes. Maybe they are checking metrics, to see if its worth adding? Enough people sparing NPC's I mean.

Last edited by Ascorius; 13/10/20 10:20 AM.
Joined: Aug 2015
S
member
Offline
member
S
Joined: Aug 2015
Knocking people out to interrogate them, and THEN kill them, is a time-tested solid approach to adventurer conundrums.

Joined: Oct 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
Its ether a bug or worse,
Players get shoehornd in killing everything as the story will be linear with no place for RP and choices.
The writer knows only how rite books and linear story's but has zero skill and clue how to write a set peace for a RPG.
We get a twig as straight as it gets while we where hoping for a three with many branches leading to more three´s and branches.

I hate the "you have to be evil because Larian expects you to be", some tell them its not there game not there character and there choice what and where to do. This is DnD. The set peace is set by the background of the rule book. The only thing the writer has to to do is set up tasks to accomplish not missions for the players. How we solve them is up to us.

You have many examples of bad writing in this case, its kill that or kill that in 99% of the choices.

Like the fallen paladin and Thiefling quest. Its kill A or kill B. cant trick them ,cant make one or the other escape/go away. Cant force a encounter with demons, cant confront the "Paladin" with the 3 up to 4 dead instead of his claimed 2 lost on outpost.
Cant even use information gathered from speaking with dead to confront him.
Its terrible design and lazy and sloppy.
Who ever was doing that was just asking the question what would I do not what a particular character/group or skill set would do would be able to do. Not even the ridiculous or stupid choices like set the whole damn place on fiere.
But hey you have the choice to go away and come back, because that how it works in lazy writing. You are the center of the universe the whole world waits only for you! No urgency. No no take your time level 1 or 3 character your are the master of the universes.

Very bad, very very bad.

Last edited by xMardeRx; 13/10/20 12:27 PM. Reason: some typos
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
veteran
Online Content
veteran
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
Originally Posted by xMardeRx
Its ether a bug or worse,
Players get shoehornd in killing everything as the story will be linear with no place for RP and choices.
The writer knows only how rite books and linear story's but has zero skill and clue how to write a set peace for a RPG.
We get a twig as straight as it gets while we where hoping for a three with many branches leading to more three´s and branches.

I hate the "you have to be evil because Larian expects you to be", some tell them its not there game not there character and there choice what and where to do. This is DnD. The set peace is set by the background of the rule book. The only thing the writer has to to do is set up tasks to accomplish not missions for the players. How we solve them is up to us.

You have many examples of bad writing in this case, its kill that or kill that in 99% of the choices.

Like the fallen paladin and Thiefling quest. Its kill A or kill B. cant trick them ,cant make one or the other escape/go away. Cant force a encounter with demons, cant confront the "Paladin" with the 3 up to 4 dead instead of his claimed 2 lost on outpost.
Cant even use information gathered from speaking with dead to confront him.
Its terrible design and lazy and sloppy.
Who ever was doing that was just asking the question what would I do not what a particular character/group or skill set would do would be able to do. Not even the ridiculous or stupid choices like set the whole damn place on fiere.
But hey you have the choice to go away and come back, because that how it works in lazy writing. You are the center of the universe the whole world waits only for you! No urgency. No no take your time level 1 or 3 character your are the master of the universes.

Very bad, very very bad.

Sorry, but this reads like some unhinged rant with little to no correlation with the topic at hand.


Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Joined: Oct 2020
D
addict
Offline
addict
D
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Slapstick
Knocking people out to interrogate them, and THEN kill them, is a time-tested solid approach to adventurer conundrums.

It is! 😁

I can understand that Larian cant make seperate dialogue and scenarios for each npc that the player might knock out but for some like for example Nettie its a real shame

Joined: Oct 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Rouoko
I knocked them, but game say that I killed them frown


Happened to me as well, after the third time I stopped trying. Larian probably just thought it wasn't a priority for EA.


Necromancy is just recycling...
Joined: Oct 2020
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
I think the "Knock Unconscious" Action clearly indicates that Larian intends to realize non-lethal quest resolutions later in development.

It does seem like a really odd choice of mechanic to develop and include in this build, considering how limited the game is otherwise in its current state. They really ought to publish a blog detailing their design priorities and, where divergent from expectation, explain the philosophy behind their decisions.

Joined: Oct 2020
stranger
Offline
stranger
Joined: Oct 2020
I look forward to the day that I can beat people up, knock them out, tie them up, interrogate them, set them on fire, and then throw them off a cliff.

Joined: Oct 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
+1, hoping they fully flesh out the knock unconscious feature.

Joined: Oct 2020
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Oct 2020
On a similar note, I'd like to see the surrender option in combat as well. Goblin's aren't known for their bravery.

Joined: Jun 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Jun 2020
Originally Posted by Medirby
When I play D&D I at times try to spare enemies I fight because I don't believe in going ham on a few poor thieves that are just trying to get by by robbing me, or killing a guy I had a disagreement and a few thrown out curse words with. I haven't gotten far enough into the story to really find an option for it yet but is there an option to not kill enemies and instead just knock them out after a fight? If not I think it should be added. I think it would lead into interesting dialogues or maybe different quest lines, such as a mad woman running up to you and because you knocked her out you realize she was being mind controlled by an evil wizard just nearby.

It's something small but I think it would add a bit more to my characters personally because I always try to be a "goody two-shoes" when I play D&D.


second row, second to last button. looks like a mace and person, it's just to the right of dash.

Turns your damage into nonlethal (watch out for spells like hex, or things doing additional damage) uses unarmed strikes or near enough damage. Best way to do it is get them within 10hp or so, then just have every melee them with this button pressed.

added because I'm an ass. Look at each button on display test them out see what they do, hover over them. Part of being in EA on any game is trying all the little things you spy with your opened eye. and though I am guilty of oops, went to forum to soon.

Last edited by clavis; 13/10/20 07:55 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5