Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by Yawning Spider
Originally Posted by Limz

Didn't even realize it was you until after I clipped the quote, but sure enough.

The thrust of this article is that these releases are exceptional to the typical Early Access experience, and it's worth noting that Divinity Original Sin 2 didn't make the list. I don't think this makes the point you're after at all, but certainly not as strongly as you seem to believe it does.

The list is not definitive and I do mention other games like Hades and NovaDrift (though that's a very indie title -- very small game too) and while it's more likely there are more failures than successes (like any business) it wouldn't appropriate for a person to state that EA cannot be used to pivot a product.

Also, logically speaking, the sooner you get a product out to others for testing and feedback before launch the more changes you can make.

So tldr; EA is pretty flexible and it depends on how you use it, here are some examples where things have succeeded. Or you know https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agile_software_development

Meldor #694278 13/10/20 07:01 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by override367
BG3 as it stands ISN'T 5e though, for example,
{completely irrelevant stuff}

That has absolutely nothing to do whatsoever with my point about not overloading players with too many choices in Character creation.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
Originally Posted by Tequilaman
Originally Posted by Meldor
Very disappointed with BG3 so far. I dislike DND 5.0 to the bone after trying out this game.

I'm used to playing on a NWN2 private server named Baldur's Gate on version 3.5. It was amazing how deep you could customize your character. (Stats, Feat, Class, Prestige Classes, gear etc..)

In this game, it's just bland and boring. You guys fell into the casual trap.

Prestige classes bring one addition to your classes, it doesn't feel like a specialization. Multiclass doesn't seem to work.

The combat system of 1 action per turn is outrageously boring. What happened to the # of attack per turns as per DND? ie: Fighter.

All stats should be good for all classes. In this version, I feel like you have 1 main stat + constitution. (VERY BORING).

I'm sad, currently, this game isn't worth my investment, and if it continues on this line even at release the game will be a dumb down version of Divinity and nothing to do with DND.

Uhmm....you realize 5E is a lot more balanced than 3.5 right? I've played NWN extensively and forever buffing yourself with spells (cause concentration doesnt exist) is not that much fun IMO. lol.

Cause 3.5 was literally that. 10 minutes of buffing then you win the game.

God yes, I hated that monstrously and vehemently. All that buffing and wasting that time, and resting to rebuff, disgusting.

Some glorious modders have made buffing wands for NWN persistent worlds, so you cast all of your typical buffs onto the wand and save it, and then as long as you have those spells memorized you can just cast the wand on yourself to instantly cast all the buffs. It's amazing.

Meldor #694310 13/10/20 07:15 PM
W
apprentice
apprentice
W
OP is correct and not correct.

BG3 is a faithful representation of DnD 5e. Not perfect, but easily as good a representation of the system as any other game.

DnD 5e, however, is simply a bad system compared to previous ones. You have way less power potential, way less customization, way less specialization, way less build diversity, everything is simplified for non-DnD players at the expense of DnD players.

It's not Larian, it's DnD 5e.

Limz #694316 13/10/20 07:18 PM
journeyman
journeyman

Linking Agile development framework in a discussion about Early Access games is a really weird thing to do. It's not technically irrelevant, but I think it misses on context in a way that nobody who actually works in or adjacent to software engineering would.
[It] wouldn't appropriate for a person to state that EA cannot be used to pivot a product.

I agree, I just don't think the article was a very good way for you to illustrate your point.
Also, logically speaking, the sooner you get a product out to others for testing and feedback before launch the more changes you can make.

Just as an aside, this has nothing to do with logic. It's not a valid or sound - speaking of the logical definitions, here - argument even if I generate the necessary premises.

EX: An unwritten premise necessary to create an inescapable condition for the conclusion (that which renders an argument valid) would have to be "software cannot be changed after launch," otherwise the simple counter-point that a game can be patched after launch would expose the invalidity of the argument. However, this premise would be obviously untrue, which would make the argument unsound.

Meldor #694340 13/10/20 07:25 PM
D
apprentice
apprentice
D
I feel other posters listed reasons why these complaints from the OP aren't entirely valid so I will only add, its EARLY ACCESS, and second, the level cap at 4 means several of the issues described haven't even shown up (like fighters multiattacks, and AOE for casters that acts like multiple actions by affecting multiple targets.) I am with the OP in that I hope we have a long way to go in EA adding in ALOT more content than we presently have, but I am willing to give Larian that chance before arriving anywhere near where the OP is already.

Last edited by Dominemesis; 13/10/20 07:25 PM.
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L

Linking Agile development framework in a discussion about Early Access games is a really weird thing to do. It's not technically irrelevant, but I think it misses on context in a way that nobody who actually works in or adjacent to software engineering would.

The guy stated he knew what was up.

I agree, I just don't think the article was a very good way for you to illustrate your point.

I can concede to that, but also I didn't have the post mortem for Hades readily available.

Just as an aside, this has nothing to do with logic. It's not a valid or sound argument even if I generate the necessary premises.

EX: An unwritten premise necessary to create an inescapable condition for the conclusion (that which renders an argument sound) would have to be "software cannot be changed after launch," otherwise the simple counter-point that a game can be patched after launch would expose the unsoundness of the argument. Such a premise is also obviously invalid - to speak of the logical definition.

You're not going to let me be lazy are you? I'll concede to that. But can you seriously get back to the other thread? Like I genuinely want to resolution to that debate. Pretty please?

Look, I am not even being aggressive, I am being nice. Extra nice.

Limz #694364 13/10/20 07:34 PM
journeyman
journeyman
You're not going to let me be lazy are you? I'll concede to that. But can you seriously get back to the other thread? Like I genuinely want to resolution to that debate. Pretty please?

Look, I am not even being aggressive, I am being nice. Extra nice.

Well, for whatever its worth, I had to edit my post and clean up some of my language for precision, because I'm not without a lazy streak of my own. I just think it's a frustrating mistake to invoke logic if you're not prepared to test your thinking against that level of rigor.

Thanks for taking some time to clarify your thoughts.

Meldor #694372 13/10/20 07:37 PM
W
apprentice
apprentice
W
Early access has nothing to do with his criticisms. His problems are about what is embedded into DnD 5e itself. I can only say sorry man, WoTC sold out it's long time fans for mainstream appeal

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by WarChiefZeke
Early access has nothing to do with his criticisms. His problems are about what is embedded into DnD 5e itself. I can only say sorry man, WoTC sold out it's long time fans for mainstream appeal

Some of them*. Long time fan, dont feel they sold out.

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
Meldor #694462 13/10/20 08:14 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Meldor
Very disappointed with BG3 so far. I dislike DND 5.0 to the bone after trying out this game.

I'm used to playing on a NWN2 private server named Baldur's Gate on version 3.5. It was amazing how deep you could customize your character. (Stats, Feat, Class, Prestige Classes, gear etc..)

In this game, it's just bland and boring. You guys fell into the casual trap.

Prestige classes bring one addition to your classes, it doesn't feel like a specialization. Multiclass doesn't seem to work.

The combat system of 1 action per turn is outrageously boring. What happened to the # of attack per turns as per DND? ie: Fighter.

All stats should be good for all classes. In this version, I feel like you have 1 main stat + constitution. (VERY BORING).

I'm sad, currently, this game isn't worth my investment, and if it continues on this line even at release the game will be a dumb down version of Divinity and nothing to do with DND.

Note comparing 3.5 to 5e is like apples to steaks. 3.5 was built around world spanning campaigns, was built for die hard fans that new the intricacies like they know the back of their hand.

5e is in all intents and purposes built for new players that are wanting to try D&D for the first time, it is made to be simple, it will be boring for us that have played 3.5. yet BG3 is not built using 3.5 it is built using 5e as well as some home brewing which is true in every D&D campaign except the truelly hard core by the book DM's. It is built to be far simplier and easier to learn as a new medium to advertise D&D and hopefully get more people interested in D&D.

You fell into a narrow, closeminded heavily baised trap.

Multiclassing is for those that know what they are doing, as stated above 5e is made to be easier to learn, and pick up. Multiclassing takes time to learn, this game is in EA, it may be added yet many of those playing or just a few have never played D&D before adding multi classing to a game that is not done, and trying to introduce the basics while working on balancing a standard party is counter productive to what they are trying to do in EA. Which is get their product further play tested, and feed back on the core mechanics they are using. Not so die hards, like me can build characters that in effect are unbalanced in many ways, and take knowledge some people don't have at their disposal.

All stats are not good for all classes neither in pen and paper, or video games. period. You always need some points in con as a self proclaimed player of 3.5 you should know that Con is useful to every class for what it gives you. Extra hp, ability to resist certain things, less fails of Con saving throws do to having a higher con score. These things are evident to anyone that has played for a length of time.

I'm sad, that your baised opinion against Larian studios and your uninformed knowledge of 5e leads you to believe this isn't D&D. It's truelly heartbreaking that your so narrowly focused on 3.5, and have a false belief that 5e is exactly like 3.5 that you think this game is Divinity (a series of games I dislike highly).

only sith deal in absolutes.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard