Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
T
Ok from the top of my head - after playing a lot of days, these issues concern me the most as a D&D Player:

Swapping Weapons - there is no cost to swapping weapons, so say you fire an arrow or attack with two weapons, you can then swap to a weapon + shield for the AC bonus at the end of each turn. In D&D it takes an action to don or doff a shield. Also you wouldn't be able to draw two weapons and attack on the same turn. While I do agree it's better to keep things simple for a video-game, I do think it should cost something to swap weapons/shield, even if it's say a bonus action. What do you guys think?

Thief and Dual Wield - I separated this subclass specifically, because right now u gain damage on the off-hand (and not attack) and it should be the other way around (this might just be a bug though), however the thief gaining an EXTRA bonus action with Fast Hands, means he can do 3 attacks with damage modifiers. So let's say you do a Strength based thief, take dual wielder and equip a certain mace that heals when you do damage, well, it's pretty OP. IMO Thieves should not get an extra bonus action to attack, in PnP they can use a Use an Object as a bonus - so I dunno how to fix this - maybe give them an extra bonus that doesn't allow them to attack? Otherwise Thieves are better than any other melee class right now (with the bug). What you guys think?

Mages can learn cleric spells through scrolls - Guiding bolt with intelligence modifiier.. heals.....weeee.....probably a bug though. I hope.

Jumping to disengage - probably mentioned a lot already - give everyone the thief ability to disengage as a bonus action, obviously should be fixed in the future. Or at least make it an action, I dunno. What you guys think? I also heard something along the lines that you can jump to the back of an enemy, and gain advantage. Anyone confirm this?

Fighting style - Fighters are supposed to get them at level 1 right? Probably a bug.

Dipping and candles - This is a weird one. You can drop a candle anywhere and light it on the floor, essentially always being able to dip your weapon in fire for free (+ a bonus action from the dip). I mean, I don't mind the dip mechanic, but carrying a portable flame that costs no action to drop and use during combat is just weird. What you guys think?

Surfaces and Cantrips - this has probably been talked about before in more depth in other threads. I don't mind surfaces so much, it's a lot less than it was in Divinity. But you can prepare pools of water across a battlefield and cause damage through shocking grasp or freeze through ray of frost. I dunno man, seems like a lot of power from a 1st level spell (create water) and cantrips. I think u can even create pools of water just from ray of frost alone. What do you guys think?

Also, certain cantrips like fire bolt do fire damage even if they miss, ray of frost knocks them prone, acid splash can hit more than 2 creatures. I don't mind these too much since they are pretty weak in damage, but it does divert a lot from PnP. What you guys think?

Darkness + Warlocks - darkness I think is too strong right now, at least from my testing. Most enemies don't do anything while you're inside the darkness. I've seen melee enemies just stand outside darkness waiting, not sure if it's by design or bug, ranged enemies dont do anything. Also, Devil Sight isnt working from what I read on reddit, warlocks still go blind when stepping in.

Also on warlocks - I heard that when you have false life you can't use armor of agathys or something like that. So I think there are some issues with temp hp.

Magical items and no attunement - ok, the great thing about 5E is that they introduced attunement, so you can only attune to a certain number of magical items. This is a good thing because as I've already seen there are plenty of powerful items in the game that provide buffs and other neat things. So basically you can cycle around a bunch of items, use their long rest ability, then switch to another item, use their long rest ability, and so on.... forever. Being attuned means u could only activate say 3 items per long rest. I think this would be a good implementation, what you guys think?

Long rest + Short rest - ok, long rest has no consequences or danger, as we see, say, in Pathfinder: Kingmaker, or PnP. Wandering monsters is a thing. Having no consequence and only one short rest available means long rest classes (mage and cleric for example) become a lot stronger since they can replenish their spells at will. There were very few areas that I saw were long rest wasn't possible. Also, why not make it 2 short rests as recommended by DMG? But maybe it's by design since they want more interaction at camp, I guess. What you guys think?

Mage Armor - it increases AC by 3 and you can't wear armor. Not an issue right now, but will be when barbarians and monks come out. It should just set your AC to 13 + Dex.

Well, there's probably more imbalance issues, but these struck me as the most important. Any more I forgot?

Last edited by Tequilaman; 13/10/20 02:59 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
A couple, for instance: What is considered a bonus action and what isn't... spoiler: basically every combat maneuver is a bonus action, even for non rogues.

...but thanks, those points fit nicely into the ever growing list of departures from the rules this game allegedly set out to adapt. wink

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Originally Posted by Tequilaman

Swapping Weapons - there is no cost to swapping weapons, so say you fire an arrow or attack with two weapons, you can then swap to a weapon + shield for the AC bonus at the end of each turn. In D&D it takes an action to don or doff a shield. Also you wouldn't be able to draw two weapons and attack on the same turn. While I do agree it's better to keep things simple for a video-game, I do think it should cost something to swap weapons/shield, even if it's say a bonus action. What do you guys think?

I also think that a free swap is very strong, but it may be hard to implement the 5e approach.

You need to give some sort of free swap so that a player can weight their options: do I shoot with a bow, or do I attack in melee.

You could argue that after an attack you should be locked into the weapons you used for attack, which would be fair.

However, this would look weird on casters, since they can magically drop their weapons, cast a spell, and equip all of them again, so might be a bit confusing for some players.

Also, do we then force casters to have a free hand to cast spells? For someone who plays 5e that is reasonable, but it may be confusing for video game crowds. Perhaps make one of your weapons a spell focus - but there are classes like ranger/eldritch knight, arcane trickster who don't have them.

Regardless some compromises need to be made.

Last edited by Eugerome; 13/10/20 03:15 PM.
addict
addict
Yes, there are threads for already for most, if not every one of these issues. Best to search and contribute. If you don't find a thread, then make one for a specific issue.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Emrikol
Yes, there are threads for already for most, if not every one of these issues. Best to search and contribute. If you don't find a thread, then make one for a specific issue.

I haven't seen talk about magic item attunement yet, at least...

T
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
T
Originally Posted by Eugerome
Originally Posted by Tequilaman

I also think that a free swap is very strong, but it may be hard to implement the 5e approach.

You need to give some sort of free swap so that a player can weight their options: do I shoot with a bow, or do I attack in melee.

You could argue that after an attack you should be locked into the weapons you used for attack, which would be fair.

However, this would look weird on casters, since they can magically drop their weapons, cast a spell, and equip all of them again, so might be a bit confusing for some players.

Also, do we then force casters to have a free hand to cast spells? For someone who plays 5e that is reasonable, but it may be confusing for video game crowds. Perhaps make one of your weapons a spell focus - but there are classes like ranger/eldritch knight, arcane trickster who don't have them.

Regardless some compromises need to be made.

Yeah some kind of locking would make sense, maybe only after you atack. Divinity makes you use AP to swap weapons. I don't remember what it was like in Kingmaker or Pillars.

X
apprentice
apprentice
X
I've played a lot and noticed that things are definitely happening if you long rest, there are consequences but it seems like a consequence only happens if you long rest after making some progress - so if you decide to long rest a bunch in a row then it's seemingly not doing anything but if you make a bit of progress and then rest, you get some camp progress and it also affects the world in various ways. Doing a playthrough avoiding resting and one that rests after basically any event has shown several really cool differences.

Free swap is definitely something I see as an issue, especially if later you get more magic items - you could end up feeling the need to swap to everything defensive then back every turn. I think it would be tedious to only get to swap one item for a bonus action so maybe if you dig into your bag it will cost 1 bonus action but give you unlimited item movements, so for one bonus action you can throw all your barrels on the floor or stored boxes to make a quick ladder and swap all your armour,etc.
That way the cost is small enough that we can get creative but not so free that some players feel compelled to min-max every single turn.

T
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
T
Originally Posted by Xeiom
I've played a lot and noticed that things are definitely happening if you long rest, there are consequences but it seems like a consequence only happens if you long rest after making some progress - so if you decide to long rest a bunch in a row then it's seemingly not doing anything but if you make a bit of progress and then rest, you get some camp progress and it also affects the world in various ways. Doing a playthrough avoiding resting and one that rests after basically any event has shown several really cool differences.

Free swap is definitely something I see as an issue, especially if later you get more magic items - you could end up feeling the need to swap to everything defensive then back every turn. I think it would be tedious to only get to swap one item for a bonus action so maybe if you dig into your bag it will cost 1 bonus action but give you unlimited item movements, so for one bonus action you can throw all your barrels on the floor or stored boxes to make a quick ladder and swap all your armour,etc.
That way the cost is small enough that we can get creative but not so free that some players feel compelled to min-max every single turn.

It's interesting how you noticed the time factoring into the world in different ways. But I mean, besides that, maybe there should be the occasional wandering monsters that could attack the camp - that is classic in D&D - who's gonna keep watch? lol Most of the time, I felt like long resting was pretty easy and with no real consequences.

As for the swap, I think that is a good suggestion, 1 bonus action for all item movements.

Link Copied to Clipboard