Print Thread
#694129 13/10/20 05:56 PM
G
gish Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
5E is designed around the assumption that players do 6-8 encounters of various sizes per day with about 2 short rests in between each long rest. I believe this is stated in the DMG.

The number of spell slots a warlock gets is based on this assumption.

However, it seems that the short rest button is only usable once per long rest. I can see this being an issue for warlocks since it cuts down the number of spell slots they can use per day by a lot.

Right now it doesn't really matter since we can long rest whenever we want with no consequences. But I see that getting fixed in the future. Depending on HOW that gets fixed, it could really affect the balance of the warlock in relation to the other classes. Monks, too.

I personally tried to avoid using long rests in my playthrough unless I absolutely needed it and I found that Wyll's spell slots were pretty limited, even more than I would expect for a warlock. Especially since Hex is basically a spell slot tax.

Last edited by gish; 13/10/20 05:59 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Welcome to Larian 5e D&D. They've made countless changes that deviate significantly from 5e, and without exception all these changes have drastically influenced the balance of gameplay. Over 45 years of D&D evolution casually tossed aside to make BG3 more similar to Larian's own DoS games. There's over 70 pages of threads talking about these issues. We can only hope, that being an EA game, things will significantly improve before an official title release. We'll see.

Last edited by ReaLMoisan; 13/10/20 06:20 PM.
T
addict
addict
T
Short Rest being upped to 2 per long rest is the only change I would agree to/like currently...but even that feels like a matter of preference rather than need.

Perhaps a setting you can adjust when starting a new campaign?

Also, I expect some changes from the tabletop game because TTRPG and CRPG are separate mediums that handle different things better. For example, Dancing Lights has long been one of my favorite versatile tools but I can understand how all the different ways I've used it toward shenaingans can't easily be represented in a CRPG.

Last edited by Thrythlind; 13/10/20 06:29 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Personally I'd love to have infinite short rests, but there should be consequences and probably locations where it's locked out. But having at least 2 would be appreciated.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Restricting short rest to 1 per long rest just increases the amount of long rests we take, which is not ideal. It would be much better to give at minimum 2 short rests so we don't have to head back to camp all the time.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Originally Posted by ReaLMoisan
Welcome to Larian 5e D&D. They've made countless changes that deviate significantly from 5e, and without exception all these changes have drastically influenced the balance of gameplay. Over 45 years of D&D evolution casually tossed aside to make BG3 more similar to Larian's own DoS games. There's over 70 pages of threads talking about these issues. We can only hope, that being an EA game, things will significantly improve before an official title release. We'll see.

Dramatic much?

It's clearly based on the DoS engine and they haven't converted it all over yet. Get off your high horse

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Originally Posted by ReaLMoisan

First, well stated. The balancing in 5E is pretty precise, and so any seemingly small change can actually have a big and unforseen negative consequence. I am hoping Larian has a 5E pro working with them on this, who really understands why 5E makes the balancing choices it makes, and how changes could cause problems. I really want to like BG3, and there is alot that is good, but regarding its implementation of 5E rules and mechanics, it has a long way to go from where it currently is to get there. I am rooting for Larian to pull it off.

T
addict
addict
T
Originally Posted by Slapstick
Restricting short rest to 1 per long rest just increases the amount of long rests we take, which is not ideal. It would be much better to give at minimum 2 short rests so we don't have to head back to camp all the time.

I am currently at about 1 rest per level (4 rests at fourth level) and at least one of those could probably have been done without. I have a friend who hit level 3 on only 1 rest.

E
stranger
stranger
E
Originally Posted by gish
5E is designed around the assumption that players do 6-8 encounters of various sizes per day with about 2 short rests in between each long rest. I believe this is stated in the DMG.

This is a baseline suggestion, not a rule. And "encounters" don't only mean combat. These can be social, puzzle and exploration encounters as well.

G
gish Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
I know its not a rule, but it is a guideline for how shor rest based classes such as the monk and warlock are designed and it does effect balance.

In actual 5e, if a DM allows groups to take short rests too often (such as after every encounter) then it buffs warlocks since they can basically spam their spell slots in every encounter.

On the other hand if a DM allows a group to take long rests too often, eliminating the need for multiple short rests per day then this nerfs warlocks since they have way fewer spell slots per day compared to other caster classes.

I'm just saying its something that should be considered for when the camp/long rest mechanic inevitably gets updated in the future.

Last edited by gish; 13/10/20 08:57 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard