Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2020
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
As much as I enjoy exploration and testing things out...levelling up in a big part of RPGs; I think there is enough content in EA to justify raising the level cap to 5, would you not agree?

Joined: Oct 2020
X
stranger
Offline
stranger
X
Joined: Oct 2020
I disagree. This is because they would need to implement a couple dozen new 3rd level spells (most of which would be game changing, like fly), increase the damage of cantrips, and incorporate dozens of new class features (when some classes don't even have some of their features implemented yet, like rogue). And this does not even begin to take into account balancing issues.
Level 5 is a major increase in power for most classes (especially spell casters).

Joined: Jul 2014
O
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
O
Joined: Jul 2014
Originally Posted by XavianPagason
I disagree. This is because they would need to implement a couple dozen new 3rd level spells (most of which would be game changing, like fly), increase the damage of cantrips, and incorporate dozens of new class features (when some classes don't even have some of their features implemented yet, like rogue). And this does not even begin to take into account balancing issues.
Level 5 is a major increase in power for most classes (especially spell casters).

They're already going to be doing that.... you know the game is going to go beyond level 5 when it comes out right?

Joined: Oct 2020
S
stranger
Offline
stranger
S
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by override367
They're already going to be doing that.... you know the game is going to go beyond level 5 when it comes out right?


When it comes out, yes. OP is saying the level cap should increase to 5 in Early Access. XavianPagason is explaining why that isn't the case currently.

Last edited by Soulbasaur; 13/10/20 09:16 PM.
Joined: Jul 2014
O
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
O
Joined: Jul 2014
Originally Posted by Soulbasaur
Originally Posted by override367
They're already going to be doing that.... you know the game is going to go beyond level 5 when it comes out right?


When it comes out, yes. OP is saying the level cap should increase to 5 in Early Access. XavianPagason is explaining why that isn't the case currently.


The game is going to at least level 11, I would imagine that at some point they'll finish the level 5 content for the early access classes and could roll it out

Aren't we supposed to give this kind of feedback? I also feel like the last 4 or 5 encounters should be level 5 encounters, the enemies have extra attack and third level spells after all

Joined: Oct 2020
A
stranger
Offline
stranger
A
Joined: Oct 2020
I just finished my first run through the EA content and I was dissapointed to be cut off from level 5. There are a number of tough fights that would be so much more manageable if they allowed for the level-up, and there's enough experience available in the content to allow for it. I wanna slang some fireballs in the goblin camp and get some extra shoving attacks off against those hook horrors yo!

Joined: Oct 2020
W
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
W
Joined: Oct 2020
I also think the level cap should EVENTUALLY be raised to level 5 during the course of EA, but that belief is for testing purposes. Because at level 5 you do have damage increases, extra attack, and more complicated spells like animated dead, fly, slow, counterspell, dispell magic, so on. Including level 5 for play testing at some point during EA would be insurmountably beneficial.

Joined: Oct 2020
F
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
F
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by XavianPagason
I disagree. This is because they would need to implement a couple dozen new 3rd level spells (most of which would be game changing, like fly), increase the damage of cantrips, and incorporate dozens of new class features (when some classes don't even have some of their features implemented yet, like rogue). And this does not even begin to take into account balancing issues.
Level 5 is a major increase in power for most classes (especially spell casters).

That power increase is exactly why I agree that the level cap for EA should be 5. It's a major shift in power balance, and we cannot meaningfully test it.

Joined: Jan 2014
D
stranger
Offline
stranger
D
Joined: Jan 2014
Originally Posted by fishworshipper
Originally Posted by XavianPagason
I disagree. This is because they would need to implement a couple dozen new 3rd level spells (most of which would be game changing, like fly), increase the damage of cantrips, and incorporate dozens of new class features (when some classes don't even have some of their features implemented yet, like rogue). And this does not even begin to take into account balancing issues.
Level 5 is a major increase in power for most classes (especially spell casters).

That power increase is exactly why I agree that the level cap for EA should be 5. It's a major shift in power balance, and we cannot meaningfully test it.


That's absurd, ofc we can meaningfully test it, there are like 5-6 level 5 encounters already in Act 1! And they have their extra attacks and skills right now. If we cannot meaningfully test one frickin level up with that much content, I'd argue that all of our "testing" is equally meaningless for the 15-20 fights that come before, because there aren't much more than 5 per level as it stands.



Joined: Oct 2020
F
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
F
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by deadsanta
Originally Posted by fishworshipper
Originally Posted by XavianPagason
I disagree. This is because they would need to implement a couple dozen new 3rd level spells (most of which would be game changing, like fly), increase the damage of cantrips, and incorporate dozens of new class features (when some classes don't even have some of their features implemented yet, like rogue). And this does not even begin to take into account balancing issues.
Level 5 is a major increase in power for most classes (especially spell casters).

That power increase is exactly why I agree that the level cap for EA should be 5. It's a major shift in power balance, and we cannot meaningfully test it.


That's absurd, ofc we can meaningfully test it, there are like 5-6 level 5 encounters already in Act 1! And they have their extra attacks and skills right now. If we cannot meaningfully test one frickin level up with that much content, I'd argue that all of our "testing" is equally meaningless for the 15-20 fights that come before, because there aren't much more than 5 per level as it stands.

You misunderstand. I don't mean we can't test the content, I mean we can't test how the classes will interact with that content, and whether certain encounters or spells should be modified to account for the likelihood of level five players. If the level cap was raised to 5, then we'd be able to test these things.

Last edited by fishworshipper; 14/10/20 12:29 AM.
Joined: Oct 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Oct 2020
The thing is our level should've hit 5 in that map anyway so why not let us test it the way its going to go when it actually releases?

I understand the cap at launch since a lot of the spells still need work but they should definitely remove it during the course of EA.


Necromancy is just recycling...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5