Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
C
I think the way that resting works in the game now really needs some kind of limitations/rework. Right now, no matter where you are in the game, you can just hit go to camp and you can long rest and get back all your resources.

This kind of defeats the purpose of having limited spell slots and other resources. The idea is supposed to be that you need to conserve your resources, because you don’t really know when your next rest will be.

There’s kind of an implication that if you rest too much, bad things will happen...but I don’t really know if this is true.

I think that this mechanic is bad because it punishes players for playing more realistically and rewards players for going to camp after literally every fight.

I think that either making camping cost gold (camping supplies) and/or limiting the places you can camp would really help.

D
D
I can imagine it's a tough thing to balance for a variety of players, especially those who aren't familiar with DnD. How do you restrict resting while making sure a person doesn't brick a 100 hour long run that they've screwed themselves over by expending all of their spell slots and didn't keep enough saves? It also probably complicates things a bit by having story elements be triggered by resting. I agree the current situation is not ideal but I also understand that it won't be an easy thing to address.

veteran
veteran
But also improvements and greater flexibility.

A
stranger
stranger
A
In my opinion it would be too complicated to manage a situation where your characters are half dead, without spells, not being able to rest. Even in a remote place in the world you can light a bonfire or spread a blanket and rest. Certainly with due attention and guard duty.
Making it difficult to rest would be like making the game nearly impossible to play.

C
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
C
Originally Posted by AleXty
In my opinion it would be too complicated to manage a situation where your characters are half dead, without spells, not being able to rest. Even in a remote place in the world you can light a bonfire or spread a blanket and rest. Certainly with due attention and guard duty.
Making it difficult to rest would be like making the game nearly impossible to play.

It wouldn’t be impossible to play. Plenty of games have a solution to this problem. Pathfinder Kingmaker for example makes resting in dungeons cost rations. So you need to bring enough rations to rest a few times...but rations are heavy so you can only carry so much.

If you run out, you have to leave the dungeon, rest, then come back.

I don’t see how this wouldn’t work in BG3. And since you can just teleport out of the dungeon, it makes it even easier.

T
addict
addict
T
The timer is probably narrative only. Actual timers tend to really badly ruin the fun for a broad swath of player audience and this sort of false urgency tends to be a normal thing in RPGs both Western and Japanese. That said, I just wish I could switch party make-up without going to camp every time. But I've gotten to 4th level on 3 rests and I have a friend who last I heard had gotten to 3rd on 1 rest. There doesn't need to be anymore limitation on rest...maybe have an achievement for getting to levels without resting.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Creslin321
Right now, no matter where you are in the game, you can just hit go to camp and you can long rest and get back all your resources.

This is slightly inaccurate actually, as there are several places in the maps, particularly underground where you aren't allowed initiate camp. I suspect that what should actually happen is that most places should be like this with only the over-world maps being where you initiate camp, and perhaps then implement bedrolls being a way to rest without camping but making it less effective than a short rest. Maybe give the players a way to start a campfire and increase the effectiveness of using a bedroll or short rest near them?

There should also be a monster encounter roll for every rest you make I feel like.

It's all about what our DM, Larian Studios, wants to allow the players to get away with at the end of the day however.

Coincidentally, I was just thinking to myself that your limit of short rests a day should be two instead of one, and it should refresh 3 or 4 level 1 spell slots. but heal a bit less health.

Last edited by BigDumbSpaceTig; 13/10/20 10:19 PM.
C
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
C
Originally Posted by Thrythlind
The timer is probably narrative only. Actual timers tend to really badly ruin the fun for a broad swath of player audience and this sort of false urgency tends to be a normal thing in RPGs both Western and Japanese. That said, I just wish I could switch party make-up without going to camp every time. But I've gotten to 4th level on 3 rests and I have a friend who last I heard had gotten to 3rd on 1 rest. There doesn't need to be anymore limitation on rest...maybe have an achievement for getting to levels without resting.

Completely agree with timers being horrible. Also agree with being able to switch party members outside of camp.

You know part of what bothers me about the rest mechanic is that it just narratively makes no sense. You are just magically whisked away to a camp and then just magically appear right where you left off.

I think I would be happier with it if they explained this narratively. Like, give the player and item that teleports them to a demiplane where the camp is. Kind of like the place you could teleport to in DOS1 that served as your home base.

Also, don’t force the player to rest to leave camp. Let them go there to just talk to Party, switch characters, put things in storage etc. and they can rest if they want to, but don’t require it.

A
stranger
stranger
A
I think that, in the finished product, it would be great if resting too frequently would result in dramatically worse outcomes on timed events and quests. Those who need to abuse the rest system after every encounter can do so, but they'll never get that "best" ending or reward to quests. At the same time, those who are playing well can see a tangible reward for using the systems properly.

Everyone has a bad encounter here or there, and getting a few freebies can help avoid save-scumming for people who feel the need to tackle every encounter "the right way" while encouraging good strategy..?

D
D

Also, don’t force the player to rest to leave camp. Let them go there to just talk to Party, switch characters, put things in storage etc. and they can rest if they want to, but don’t require it.

You can fast travel to camp if you want to do things other than rest. You only have to rest to leave if you hit the rest at camp button.

C
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
C
Originally Posted by DrunkPunk

You can fast travel to camp if you want to do things other than rest. You only have to rest to leave if you hit the rest at camp button.

Interesting I did not know this!

veteran
veteran
The dilemma of what to do about resting is a big, difficult to solve issue without a human DM. A human DM knows if you're long resting because you're almost dead, or if you're almost full up.

Just saying "you're too close to the enemy to long rest" is valid, but if you limit it to certain parts, it merely adds pointless extra walking to the game to leave the no-rest zone and after the rest to get back into the dungeon..

Random encounters sound at camp sound reasonable... but because of the nature of long rests, as the way to interact with the entire party and swap people back and forth, that means the camp will be crowded in Act 1. Count up the number of characters who could be in your camp. Right now there's a possibility of 5 Origins and 0-4 Custom Characters. That's 9 full-fledged PC's.

If a random encounter is not going to be a waste of time, it'll need to be at least somewhat threatening. How many enemies will need to be attacking to threaten 9 PC's? And this is not considering the possibility of the not-yet-added Origins, or other camp followers. Any combat would take forever to resolve.

The best I can think of is it consuming food or rations as a resource to limit long rests. Perhaps camp rations you can buy which scale up in cost with level?

veteran
veteran
I don't really think there is a problem with resting except a "cosmetic" one (the fact that it looks a little bit ridiculous, both for short and long rest).
You can't really limit resting because it will be boring... What are you doing if you can't rest but absolutely need to ? Going to the merchant to buy rations ? Restard a new game ?

The problem about resting is that we have to rest after every 1 or 2 combats... I don't have enough HP, not enough spell slots, not enough features... To deal with more.

Every combats are special and nearly none of them are easy. There are surfaces everywhere, casters everywhere, combats are slow and you often need more than full 1 turn to kill 1 ennemy... Then it start to suck if you use your potions and your spells... Then it's done and you're out of nearly everything after 2 combats...

And finally, you have to short rest after a batte, then long rest after the second one...

I think of an easy solution to balance all that : change nothing, just increase the party size wink

Of course random encounters would be awesome and increase the feeling of danger and the need to choose the right moment to rest... it would add a real consequences and a natural ""limitation"".
I love the Idea but add this in the game and atm, the right moment will be after every combat...

Last edited by Maximuuus; 13/10/20 11:25 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
T
stranger
stranger
T
I don't really have a problem with the rest mechanic other than the hit to immersion when you teleport to camp. I'd be ok with requiring bedrolls and rations and a chance to be attacked when camped on higher difficulty settings. But that would be a huge change to the event system in the game.

G
addict
addict
G
I wrote this up in longer form in another thread, but what if the world just kept going while you were resting. Scouts might notice you nearby so the goblins would be ready for your attack. Or the druids manage to complete their spell or piss off the teiflings enough that they start fighting. Or the merchant sold that thing that you really want. Missing out on opportunities or having problems boil over might be enough incentive to discourage excessive resting without having to make hard rules against it.

Last edited by grysqrl; 14/10/20 02:41 AM.
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

The problem about resting is that we have to rest after every 1 or 2 combats... I don't have enough HP, not enough spell slots, not enough features... To deal with more.

I have a Ranger/Wiz/Warlock/Fighter in my party and I think I've long rested only 2 times and I've hit level 4, so I don't think it's needed all that much. There is a LOT of food around that you can use for healing.

As someone who is playing this like D&D and not resting every fight, I DO wish there was a 2nd short rest per long rest purely for the Warlock class (I would also be fine if food was 1/2 as scarce too).

World / quest / story count downs are a pretty big turn off, so coming up with something else would be nice.

Some ideas:
1. 1 free long rest every X time, doing more costs money, # of completed quests, something. Problem is some people will just afk to run the time out, which doesn't feel like a good design.
2. You can't travel to camp to long rest from a LOT more areas. Feels more like D&D, but in a good campaign there are consequences to you just leaving an area (bad guys reinforce it, etc) and that would obviously be difficult to implement in a video game.
3. Chance at random encounters: At first I liked this idea, but then you have to give them no rewards (xp/items) or they become a farm point. Then if you are having a rough time handling the game, a long rest might spawn an encounter which now needs another long rest. Even if the chance for back to back encounters is very low, or not possible, it seems like this has just become a "you must wait X time to long rest" kind of time sink.
4. Incremental difficulty: What if they choose specific encounters around the world, and every time you took a long rest, (some?) of those encounters got a tiny bit harder. Imagine adding one more minor goblin (that doesn't give loot/xp), etc. This acts as a very very soft clock, where it would take dozens of long rests before hitting the encounter to actually become significantly more challenging (shrug). This would also be broken up by act or level, so there's no way you're punished in Act 2 for resting to much in Act 1.

Open to other ideas, this is a tough one to solve.

addict
addict
'Simple' fix that manages three unbalanced issues:

Food no longer heals, but camping requires you to consume X value of food each night. If you don't have the food on hand, it costs double to acquire it. Now resources and gold matter more and long rests aren't spamable.

Back from timeout.
stranger
stranger
A solution is to add a random enemy attack generator. When i played pnp thats was how the dm controlled this.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Nezix
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

I have a Ranger/Wiz/Warlock/Fighter in my party and I think I've long rested only 2 times and I've hit level 4, so I don't think it's needed all that much. There is a LOT of food around that you can use for healing.

Don't you use your wizards spells ? No offense but it looks more like a personnal challenge than a normal way of playing.
You have a decent team not to use them a lot and Gale's cantrip are very powerfull atm...
I also agree about HP and food, which is something like another exploit to me (you shouldn't be able to eat during combats).

But try to play with i.e a cleric instead of your rogue/warlock (or any other class that really need you to "long rest" to be efficient) and you'll probably notice that spell slot management is actually really hard if you don't abuse of the long rest.You can limit what you want, player's will still abuse the mecanics and that's probably because combats are often hard and/or needs us to spend many ressources.

I'm not against some sort of limitation or random encounters as suggested in this thread, but I really think that in the actual situation, it's just gonna be a huge constraint without any benefits (because i.e you'll have to go back in town to buy food supplly, not to rest less).

Last edited by Maximuuus; 14/10/20 09:32 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
I feel like limiting long rests on harder difficulties should be a thing, but not at all levels of play.

As many have noted, the DM decides how viable resting is for the party in a pnp, but there is no DM here. Plus, the game can't take into consideration the party composition, which is something I as a DM always do.

As it stands a martial party might not need to long rest for ages, but a full caster one will need one quite often. How do you balance that in the game - I am not sure.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard