Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#694812 13/10/20 10:18 PM
Maco Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
I've noticed that practically all spells have no duration or cast time. A timer that could be useful for Magic Armor. In short, it would be useful to specify this thing in spells. It cannot be left to chance. There are tons of spells that can make a difference in combat. But it would be right at least to know the duration and once launched that you know when they are going to end.

Maco #694821 13/10/20 10:21 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Maco
I've noticed that practically all spells have no duration or cast time. A timer that could be useful for Magic Armor. In short, it would be useful to specify this thing in spells. It cannot be left to chance. There are tons of spells that can make a difference in combat. But it would be right at least to know the duration and once launched that you know when they are going to end.

I think allot of spells are now concentration?

Maco #694828 13/10/20 10:23 PM
W
old hand
old hand
W
I’m pretty sure that if you mouse over the status effect icon on the character portrait then you can see the duration.

Warlocke #694848 13/10/20 10:35 PM
Maco Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
ok, i saw now. This information seems a bit too hidden to me.
Not to mention that it is also wrong (former magic armor), but I could also say mage hand which should last a minute, but actually we don't know exactly when this will disappear. The duration of the spells is incorrect and I think it should be revised or calibrated. Magic armor for example cannot last until a long rest. in short, I believe that for the casters there are still things to see. If they put a timer or something like that it would be more accurate.

Maco #694867 13/10/20 10:42 PM
S
stranger
stranger
S
Not to mention that it is also wrong (former magic armor), but I could also say mage hand which should last a minute, but actually we don't know exactly when this will disappear. The duration of the spells is incorrect and I think it should be revised or calibrated. Magic armor for example cannot last until a long rest. in short, I believe that for the casters there are still things to see. If they put a timer or something like that it would be more accurate.

I'm curious why Mage armor cannot last until a long rest? I think that is perfectly balanced since it takes up a spell slot in my opinion, now the real question is can the mage armor get stronger with each up level of the spell. We get Mage armor II, yet it's the same effect just takes up a different spell slot.

Maco #694896 13/10/20 10:48 PM
veteran
veteran

Mage Armor's listed duration by the rules is "8 hours". Having it last until a long rest is completely and totally fine.

Find Familiar by the rules has a cast time of 1 hour. Several spells have cast times of 10 minutes. Nobody sits around the tabletop for one hour in real time waiting for the mage to cast Find Familiar, the DM does a time skip.

This is not an exact 1:1 implementation of the 5e rules with no deviation whatsoever. Several changes are pretty good, like "Speak with Animals" lasting until a long rest unless concentration is broken. That sort of thing.

Maco #694921 13/10/20 10:57 PM
old hand
old hand
I agree with Stabbey, the spell casting time and duration is changed to best fit a videogame. I think it´s best to use a generic "Until next rest" and forfeit the spells that lasts for X hours, like what they did with mage armour, speak with animals or Shield of faith.

Link Copied to Clipboard