Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
AARGH!!! So frustrating!!!! Please let us move past friends and corpses and stuff like that in battle, it's soooo frustrating!!!

enthusiast
enthusiast
That actually in rules. You can pass through allied unite space, as long as you not end your movement in the same space.

addict
addict
Maybe they don't let us because we're infected and have to be 6 feet apart....

All jest aside, yes. Let me move through my damn ally.

veteran
veteran
I can imagine that it would look pretty immersion-breaking to walk through party members, but I will say that it is really annoying to lose so much movement having to move around them. If they can solve the model collision part, I hope they'll let people move through each other.

stranger
stranger
You think that's immersion breaking? Wait till my Githyanki yeets a couple goblins into the same occupied space then literally jumps across the map and cleaves them.

addict
addict
I've found that just using Jump to get past them works better than trying to angle around them.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

T
stranger
stranger
T
But you cannot apply the tabletop rules 1:1 to the PC game. In combat, a grid space of 5ft. doesn't represent the whole space that your character takes in rather than your reach. and it also counts as difficult terrain, in my opinion representing the bypass you have to take, to reach your destination - which is implemented through collision and different pathing in the pc game.

if the implementation and path generation is optimal is a different question, but it captures the spirit of what 5e rules try to say. Therefore, I would say the statement "It is in the rules" is missleading at best.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Tzelanit
I've found that just using Jump to get past them works better than trying to angle around them.

Sometimes you can't because it says "not enough space" or something like that. It's just so frustrating. Also, sometimes you don't have the bonus action free, or you would optimally use that for something else since it shouldn't take a bonus action to simply move past people in a doorway.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Redwyrm
That actually in rules. You can pass through allied unite space, as long as you not end your movement in the same space.

You can, but IIRC I think that it counts as difficult terrain (half-speed) due to squeezing.
That said, yeah agreed that this needs to change a couple of times I have ended up with my entire party stuck behind whichever of them rolled last in initiative due to them being first through a doorway.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Use the jump. Problem solved.

apprentice
apprentice
Oh yes...I will have each of my characters leap through the solid stone of the doorway...why didn't I think of that.
[Linked Image]

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
Eldritch blast + Repelling blast = problem solved grin

Last edited by FenrisC; 14/10/20 12:32 PM.
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
I think it is fine, although does lead to some minor annoyances.

In 5e you move through ally spaces on a grid because your allies take up more space than their actual bodies do. Here you loose a bit of movement going around your allies.

Corpses/downed allies - yeap, those should be possible to move through. Hell, even prone ones should be fine imho.

Last edited by Eugerome; 14/10/20 12:38 PM.
+1
And "use the jump" is not a good solution because that jump is a problem of its own.

Last edited by endolex; 14/10/20 01:27 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by endolex
+1
And "use the jump" is not a good solution because that jump is a problem of its own.

+1
Amazing to see some players that like the actual jump exploit as a part of the gameplay^^

Last edited by Maximuuus; 14/10/20 01:47 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
B
stranger
stranger
B
In 3.5e I remember that you needed to tumble through threatened squares without provoking an attack of opportunity. One of the actual advantages of being a halfling in 5e is being able to move through spaces occupied by creatures one size above yours iirc... Not sure if that's in the game, not tested a halfling playthrough yet.

Link Copied to Clipboard