Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#695643 14/10/20 06:05 AM
Dmnqwk Offline OP
OP Offline
Even though it's only been a short while, I am gravely concerned over the implementation of Sneak Attack.

Forgetting 5th edition official rules for a moment, my major concern is how often Sneak attack fails to function - I have just tried to start a new Rogue after getting sick of this failure to fire and already, 1 combat in, I used a surprise attack (within range) to sneak, then hid and repeated it only to find the roll has advantage but neither attack had sneak damage applied.

On top of this, I do not understand why sneak damage is being applied individually, instead of as part of the attack. If I hit for 7 plus 3 sneak damage, applying them separately reduces the damage to 4 against a resistant imp while applying them together would mean 5. Losing 20% of your damage output because of design implementation is hardly fair now is it.

Please can you fix sneak attack so it works when it is supposed to, and not leave us to feel miserable over a class we want to play.

Dmnqwk #695654 14/10/20 06:21 AM
journeyman
journeyman
Sneak attack should definitely be automatic instead of an activated ability. In theory there are situations where you'd want to choose the exact attack on which to apply sneak attack, but I'm willing to let it happen on the first successful hit. And yes, the damage should be added to weapon damage instead of being applied separately.

Dmnqwk #701808 16/10/20 07:11 PM
T
stranger
stranger
T
Definitely agree, I have an idea for an implementation that solves the issue of having it auto apply and still be able to choose when you don't want to waste it:
A simple fix would be to add it to the toggle bar with Attacks of Opportunity, having Sneak Attack damage be automatically applied to the next successful hit against an eligable target while Sneak Attack is toggled on once during that turn. You could just untoggle it if you didn't want to waste it on a 1 hp target and turn it back on after.

Link Copied to Clipboard