Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Oct 2020
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by alexawow2006
I see many discuss how BG3 is bound by rules of dnd 5e but thats not the case , the game is build more or less on those rules but they can balance whatever they want, if they want to.


They could do whatever they want (within the bounds of their contract with WOTC) but they've been very clear that they're basing the game as close to 5e as they can, with some modifications to make it fit a videogame over a tabletop.

Originally Posted by alexawow2006
I spent 60 $ on an act1 of the game that isnt actually a game i expected, as did many.


It is a shame you are upset, it seems to be mostly that you wanted a direct sequel to BG2 complete with 2e systems. It was pretty clear that it was never going to be that and there were a lot of previews of the game by the developer. I'm not sure how they could have made it clearer.

Originally Posted by alexawow2006
First of all Baldurs gate is not a table top game its one of the first most succesfull ROLE PLAYING GAMES, and those who say that you dont chose your path obviously dont understand what role playing is..


Baldurs gate 1 and 2 were build off of the tabletop, the same way that BG3 has been. Outside of tables that run very open-world sandbox games the choice in D&D RPG always comes down to deciding between the branches offered to you. There's a huge scope of choices in BSG3, far more than you'd get at any table and I suspect that BG1 and BG2 didn't have more options than BG3.

Originally Posted by alexawow2006
When you create your character you plan ahead who this character is and what he will be like, so rolling dices is fine as long as the game remains RPG.


Why would dice roles make something not be an RPG? Dice roles have been a part of RPGs since they were invented, long before computers. When CRPGs appeared they still used dice roles but it was calculated behind the scenes. The fact that BG3 has made the dice roles explicit is an aesthetic choice to bring more of the feeling of a tabletop.

Originally Posted by alexawow2006
Okei okei killing 1 flaming fist wont yield breast plate but what if i use the new evolutionary feature of the knock down, and KNOCK DOWN THE WHOLE squad of fisties do you think i can manage to undress a 1 piece of intact armor from them??


If I was your DM I'd say that knocking someone down doesn't mean their armour is undamaged, particularly if they've been hit with multiple spells and melee attacks. The real reason is balance. Getting new armour is supposed to be an achievement, you're not meant to be drowning in plate mail at level 3.

Originally Posted by alexawow2006
Its not about realism its all about what developers decide to do, and what reasons are driving them, if they want the game to look like BG there are a lot of things on the list i wrote that should be changed.



BG3 is pretty clearly meant to be a spiritual successor to BG1&2. An adaptation of D&D (which in our current year is 5th edition) with an adventure set in and around Baldur's gate. Their aim was never to remake BG1&2.

Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
veteran
Online Content
veteran
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
There's so much wrong here I'm not even sure where to begin to make time for answering all of it.


Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Joined: Jan 2009
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jan 2009
Originally Posted by alexawow2006

As i expected back then and its still the same, controls are garbage manuallly jumping over a cliff with 4 party members...


It is annoying, that will be changed. Probably a hotkey for jump, likely party members automatically follow.


Quote
1. ) The game takes place 100 years after the events of Baldurs gate 2. (after all this time you have forgotten all the spells you had in baldurs gate 2 and now start at level 1 and your max level is going to be 10 ?


You... are... not... playing... the... same... character... as... you... did... in... BG 2.

Max level in BG 1 was 7.


Quote
2.) The rules have changed, now wizards can cast divine spells, so if you play a sorcerer you dont need anybody in your party. My warrior can use mage scrolls... and btw he is a reach guy so he has more spells then Gale..


That's a bug, not a feature. It will be changed.


Quote
3.) The party suddenly reduced from 6 to 4 man in both games bg1 and 2 and even the dragonspear which came out just recently there was a big party, now its just 4??


I am also not very happy about this, 6 players feels more restrictive, and I think at least 5 would be good for some flexibility, but Larian isn't going to change it.

There are many reasons why they might not want to have six PC's. 6 players mean a lot more complexity with party relationships, 6 players would interfere with each other's movement too much, 6 players is a lot to manage and equip, and 6 characters means facing larger enemy forces which means combat will take a lot longer, with more time waiting for your turn, and be harder on the engine.


Quote
4.) You cant roll your stats in the beggining of the game, its also one of the signature things of the baldurs gate


This is coming.


Quote
5.) If i climb on a cliff my spells suddenly follow the gravity rules and for some unknown fkn reason start to miss!!! Low chance of landing a spell on a person above you and higher chance to land hit on a person below. This is not baldurs gate.


I need to play and fight some more, but at the moment, I'm starting to get a little tired of the height advantage/disadvantage mechanic. It's crazy powerful when you're the one up top, chances to hit in the 90's, and doesn't feel so good when you're on the low ground, with chances to hit in the 40 to 70's at best. Statistically, advantage is effectively a +4 to hit. Disadvantage is a -4 to hit. A difference of 4 AC at levels 1 to 4 is gigantic.


Quote
5 b ) everybody get in the line behind that gnoll and take turns backstabbing him with everything you GOT!! thats right, every single turn of the fight i spam JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP, the acrobatics are absolutely crazy, you wanna place
your characters behind the target so that they have a higher chance of hit!! this should only be a thing for a thief!!! Btw where is hotkey for jump??? controlling the party is so important that its PRIORITY NUMBER 1 nothing i repeat nothing in this game could be more important than a proper control of your characters, because if you cant control your party you just go and play other games... (and let all your friends on steam know that this sucked!!)


Jumping for free disengage definitely seems to be extremely strong, but even when I'm trying to avoid using it, I don't really have a choice.

Quote
6.) roll dice roll dice roll dice, sure the dice should be rolled, but not 3 to 5 times in every conversation, HALF or even more of the dice rolls in the conversations that i went through in EA should be taken out.. when you cant chose the path that you have prepared for yourself in this RPG journey it defeats the feeling that you are playing your story, its like the devs intentionally force you to play something else.


Checks may be overtuned at the moment, and having to roll multiple checks for the same check in a row is bad (just increase the DC). Companions will be able to participate in conversations and make checks, that is coming. (44:05)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/763351879


They'll also be fooling around with the checks some more. See 56:33 in the podcast:

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/ax...-on-baldurs-gate-3s-early-access-release



Joined: Oct 2020
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Quent
it is possible for characters to use spell scrolls not associated with their class.


Incorrect.


From the 5e spell scroll rules:

"If the spell is on your class’s spell list, you can read the scroll and cast its spell without providing any material Components. Otherwise, the scroll is unintelligible."

Joined: Oct 2020
L
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
L
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Quent
[quote=Aurgelmir][quote=Quent]

I did eventually find chain mail towards the end! So far the games skimped a bit on basic heavy armour. Ring mail is pretty terrible, and is worse because chain mail is your default starting heavy armour in 5e. Would be nice if there was more choice around starting equipment in general.


I'm surprised by how many people bring up wanting more heavy armour. This is barely act 1... would you want the best gear that you could possibly get - for everyone - in DnD after you played about a third of the campaign? I think it's satisfying to leave some things for later acts.
As for the starting amour, the game used the e5 rules. They could, however, satisfy the needs for eveyone by including the official e5 variant in which you roll how much money you have and can spend it on whatever you like.

Joined: Oct 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by alexawow2006


1. ) The game takes place 100 years after the events of Baldurs gate 2. (after all this time you have forgotten all the spells you had in baldurs gate 2 and now start at level 1 and your max level is going to be 10 ?


What spells did the main character have in Baldur's Gate 2, considering this game is set 100 years later and the custom character isn't the Bhaalspawn?

Joined: Oct 2020
A
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
A
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by LizNuzz
Originally Posted by Quent
[quote=Aurgelmir][quote=Quent]

I did eventually find chain mail towards the end! So far the games skimped a bit on basic heavy armour. Ring mail is pretty terrible, and is worse because chain mail is your default starting heavy armour in 5e. Would be nice if there was more choice around starting equipment in general.


I'm surprised by how many people bring up wanting more heavy armour. This is barely act 1... would you want the best gear that you could possibly get - for everyone - in DnD after you played about a third of the campaign? I think it's satisfying to leave some things for later acts.
As for the starting amour, the game used the e5 rules. They could, however, satisfy the needs for eveyone by including the official e5 variant in which you roll how much money you have and can spend it on whatever you like.



No, I want to be able to play my character without having to be penalized for not taking 10 points in Dex (Looking at you Shadowheart, and you can't even take heavy armor!)

Thing is Armor isn't just a progression thing, it's actually a "build" thing. Ringmail at least should be available during the early stages of the prologue.

Joined: Oct 2020
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Muldeh
Originally Posted by Quent
it is possible for characters to use spell scrolls not associated with their class.


Incorrect.


From the 5e spell scroll rules:

"If the spell is on your class’s spell list, you can read the scroll and cast its spell without providing any material Components. Otherwise, the scroll is unintelligible."


Thief archetype rogue, can ignore the class restrictions on any magic item (which spell scrolls are considered). This was officially confirmed as intended by Jeremy Crawford in Sage Advice.
So as specific rules override general rules, I think you'll find that yes it is possible for characters to cast spells not on their own class list.


Originally Posted by Aurgelmir
Originally Posted by LizNuzz
Originally Posted by Quent


I did eventually find chain mail towards the end! So far the games skimped a bit on basic heavy armour. Ring mail is pretty terrible, and is worse because chain mail is your default starting heavy armour in 5e. Would be nice if there was more choice around starting equipment in general.


I'm surprised by how many people bring up wanting more heavy armour. This is barely act 1... would you want the best gear that you could possibly get - for everyone - in DnD after you played about a third of the campaign? I think it's satisfying to leave some things for later acts.
As for the starting amour, the game used the e5 rules. They could, however, satisfy the needs for eveyone by including the official e5 variant in which you roll how much money you have and can spend it on whatever you like.



No, I want to be able to play my character without having to be penalized for not taking 10 points in Dex (Looking at you Shadowheart, and you can't even take heavy armor!)

Thing is Armor isn't just a progression thing, it's actually a "build" thing. Ringmail at least should be available during the early stages of the prologue.


It's not about wanting the best armour in the game from early levels. In 5e rules, chain mail is the default starting heavy armour, and I'm pointing out it is incredibly rare in this so far. At present with armour choice it heavily favours people to put points into Dex. I mean I understand them starting people off with the worst variant of each armour type because I mean... when else will people use these armours (padded, chain shirt and ringmail)? But at least with light and medium it's easy to get the next tier up (leather, scale). If you want to play a heavy armour build you're pretty much stuck with the worst version that you would normally almost never see in the tabletop version unless your lucky enough to find something decent. It's like they hate people who want to dump dex.

EDIT: Shadowheart's stats make me cry.

Last edited by Quent; 14/10/20 04:00 PM.

Anything you can do, a bard can do better.
Joined: Oct 2020
T
addict
Offline
addict
T
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by alexawow2006
i joined forum on 05/03 after they revelaed trailer and here is the first thing i wrote::
quote:
" Party selection must be same as in baldurs gate, drag and move mouse to make a square which selects characters, this is absolute must have for the game to succeed as baldur´s gate.. The chain / unchain party together is a DOS2 mechanic and i absolutely despice it. (Larian probably made this mechanic for the multiplayer purpose, but it´s still awful for single player experience) or at least make a damn shortcut key, select all party members (insta chain all or unchain all)"


As i expected back then and its still the same, controls are garbage manuallly jumping over a cliff with 4 party members...
to be honest im getting disappointed with the whole BG3 thing, they used the name baldurs gate to attract a lot of people to buy their remake of divinity. When Sven was talking about this brain that you could talk to and how they spent lots and lots of time integrating this in the game because somebody came up with great idea... instead of writing thousands of dialogues you should concentrate on real stuff.

1. ) The game takes place 100 years after the events of Baldurs gate 2. (after all this time you have forgotten all the spells you had in baldurs gate 2 and now start at level 1 and your max level is going to be 10 ?


Baldur's Gate 3 is not connected to the stories of BG1 and BG2 at all

Quote


2.) The rules have changed, now wizards can cast divine spells, so if you play a sorcerer you dont need anybody in your party. My warrior can use mage scrolls... and btw he is a reach guy so he has more spells then Gale..



I believe this is a bug unless they plan to implement Divine Soul sorcerer eventually...which I do hope.

Quote



3.) The party suddenly reduced from 6 to 4 man in both games bg1 and 2 and even the dragonspear which came out just recently there was a big party, now its just 4??



This is going to be a playstyle difference, some people will love it, some will hate it. I don't particularly care, but 5e is built around a 4 person party with 5 and 6 being considered large by most of the published campaigns. I suspect this is because the problem of scheduling games with an audience that has on average gotten older is more difficult with more people and thus a 4 player group with one GM is far easier to schedule for than a 6 or even 5 player group. This has lead toward 5e in general being balanced on a 4 person party and the computer games are mirroring that. (Sword Coast Legends was also a 4-person party).

As a note, TTRPGs in general have gone to designing for games of 2-4 players plus one GM.

Quote



4.) You cant roll your stats in the beggining of the game, its also one of the signature things of the baldurs gate



Rolling stats was mostly phased out of D&D computer games (and is close to being phased out of D&D). In computer games especially people would just roll and roll and roll and roll...so there wasn't particularly a point to having rolled stats because it just became a chore.

Quote


5.) If i climb on a cliff my spells suddenly follow the gravity rules and for some unknown fkn reason start to miss!!! Low chance of landing a spell on a person above you and higher chance to land hit on a person below. This is not baldurs gate.



The high ground/low ground thing has been mentioned in other threads, some people love it some people hate it. I quite like the tactical addition and will also note that high ground is one of the things listed as an example of something a GM might give you advantage for in the tabletop game though it is left optional on tabletop due to the additional tracking it involves which can slow down game play. A computer can track it for the player and thus including it does not slow down game play.

Quote



5 b ) everybody get in the line behind that gnoll and take turns backstabbing him with everything you GOT!! thats right, every single turn of the fight i spam JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP, the acrobatics are absolutely crazy, you wanna place
your characters behind the target so that they have a higher chance of hit!! this should only be a thing for a thief!!! Btw where is hotkey for jump??? controlling the party is so important that its PRIORITY NUMBER 1 nothing i repeat nothing in this game could be more important than a proper control of your characters, because if you cant control your party you just go and play other games... (and let all your friends on steam know that this sucked!!)



Ehh, I don't find myself spamming jump too much save for clearing obstacles (grease spots, going to high places, etc). They've mentioned that the overtop animations are due to the fact that originally people had trouble telling if their action went off so it's basically being used as a note to the player that "you did the thing". Also giving you a chance to back out with the dramatic "you've selected this action" effects. It's UI/giving info to the player. Tactically, I'm fine with it, it's fun, and I use other bonus actions quite a bit so I don't just jump/jump/jump like you say.

Quote



6.) roll dice roll dice roll dice, sure the dice should be rolled, but not 3 to 5 times in every conversation, HALF or even more of the dice rolls in the conversations that i went through in EA should be taken out.. when you cant chose the path that you have prepared for yourself in this RPG journey it defeats the feeling that you are playing your story, its like the devs intentionally force you to play something else.



I have concerns about the skill rolls in dialogues as well. In a lot of cases they feel like they're being used to replace a dialogue tree puzzle instead of accentuate them. The druid/girl conversation is the worst offender, with the crush-the-tadpole conversation being mildly annoying, and the Githyanki conversation actually being implemented very well. So this is a place I agree with you.

Quote


7.) There is no Minsc and boo, im not attracted to characters, (maybe gale but after he started eating items he went to camp) the priest girl has some useless stealth spells which i never use and she is a bad person, the moment i find other clerick i will execute her where she stands. Wyll looked awesome in the beggining but this whole rapier stuff and nickname blade of the frontier and u know what he just stands on top of cliff and spams 1 force spell, fkn blade of frontier...Astarian is sarcastic gay or a bisexcual ? other than that i have nothing to say about him... there is one character that really stood out of this shitty crowd its the druid Helsin!! he looked awesome and justisful and if he was a companion that would be really cool.



I actually love these characters much more than Minsc and Boo. I've never really used Minsc and Boo myself as I find them mildly irritating. So this is going to be a thing that is different from player to player. The only character so far that just flat annoys me is Astarion.

Quote


7b) i heard from the code of the game that you plan on making characters be any class , as i said before this cant be baldurs gate. roll 6 clerics T_T ??? (as a rule of thumb try to stay away from most of the things you did in divinity) baldurs gate doesnt want those things..



I don't particular have a care about this, it feels boring to me to play with 6 of the same class, but if people want to do that and have fun with it, it doesn't affect me. I don't care if other people have fun differently than I do.

Quote


8.) No day and night cycle, sucks.. Lets just say you add a day night cycle only for stealth checks, that would be enough... ahh to hell at least add it just for the cosmetics... When i was saving people from the burning house, i used cleric rain spell and it extingueshed flames and then they came back almost immedeately... So if its raining outside it doesnt have to affect fireballs or leave water ponds around. just add night and weather for cosmetics..



Yeah, the burning house has fire sources literally everywhere, so using the water spell gives you a few seconds of leeway, doing it in turn based mode makes things less hectic but it's still possible to get out before the flames came back if you move quickly enough at every part of that encounter. I thought it was well designed. I find the day/night cycle is mostly just fine the way it is.

Quote


9.) Loot.. When you kill a flaming fist they must drop plate armor, and absolutely awesome HELM, if you dont believe me ask anybody goddamn it anybody will tell you that flaming fist drop plate armor, ofcourse they do, they are not naked...There are some strange items which give spells like color spray, its more like divinity stuff, where every second third item was giving you some spells. but if there wont be a lot of them then maybe i guess it could be ok..



That doesn't make sense really. Plate mail is high end armor. Most of the people in the rank and file will have lesser armors. The scale mail that they drop is just fine and far more in line with how such an organization would reasonably be armored. (actually, for real-world equivalences, gambesons would be more likely for the rank and file, but D&D has historically undervalued "padded armor" which in history was far more common and more effective than leather armor but in D&D is the worst thing you can do next to basic clothing.).

Quote



10.) None rpg001 of baldurs gate had turn based combat, they wont change it at all but like Fextralife on youtube said, when you fight a LOT of enemies at once, this fight take like 40 minutes.. and it sucks.. they will never change it but its another reason on the list that indicates this game is far from baldurs gate.



The lack of a turn-based mode is one of the things I absolutely hated about the original infinity engine games, Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate. I also found it annoying but more manageable in Neverwinter Nights and Neverwinter Nights 2. And again it hampered my enjoyment of Pillars of Eternity. As much as the Gold Box games irritated me in many ways, the turn based model wasn't the main turn off (that was mostly the 1e ruleset they used). Turn-based mode is an absolute godsend from my perspective.

Quote


And dont forget im not talking about DND in general im talking exactly about B A L D U R S GATE, the idea of using famous name to rework existing engine and make new stories was great, and helps their advertising model, look how many people were hyped for this even STEAM servers were overloaded but goddamn it people if you can make this game more like baldurs gate and less like divinity please do so...


I do agree that they are creating a fresh new property here rather than actually doing something based on the original Baldur's Gate storyline and that can be a minefield. But in the end, I don't really care.

I'm going to caution you against using wording like "everyone" because it makes for a weak argument. You inevitably find someone that likes the things you hate. I bet there are people that think the skill rolls as implemented are great (and in fact we had someone pushing for the idea of enforced ironman mode on everyone so you couldn't re-try encounters with skill checks.) In general, it is better to simply state what you like or dislike as your opinion not as the opinion of everybody involved.

Last edited by Thrythlind; 14/10/20 04:50 PM.
Joined: Sep 2017
L
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
L
Joined: Sep 2017
Originally Posted by alexawow2006
10 things everyone want changed


I want random idiots to stop trying to say what I, or Everyone wants.

Joined: Jun 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Jun 2020
Originally Posted by alexawow2006
i joined forum on 05/03 after they revelaed trailer and here is the first thing i wrote::
quote:


to op not even going to bother with quoting all that. Your title is enough. I disagree with it, I am a person, therefore you are simply assumeing everyone agrees with you, which is a flat lie.

90% of that is simply your opinion, one I don't share.

10% I agree with on parts.

Joined: Oct 2020
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Oct 2020
Everyone wants changed? Not even close.

Joined: Feb 2018
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Feb 2018
I, for one, want to see Minsc and Boo.

Joined: Oct 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Oct 2020
I mean, i don't like having too much of D:OS in this game but that title is just asking for it.

Joined: Oct 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
Unless your name is Everyone, i would politely ask change topic name.

As of the rest:
1) We are NOT the same character that was in BG 1,2 and ToB.
2) Wizards can't use divine spells. That's clearly a major bug from Larian.
3) Party size of 4 is a classic recommended party size since third edition (so over 20 years).
4) Rolling for stats in BG1,2 and ToB use to be a thing because that was the only way of doing it in 2nd edition D&D. Since then it's largely accepted that stats roll is not a good thing. Optionally players still can do it, but main system is either point-buy, or complex system of stats add as you build your entire character (PF2e. In fact in PF2e there is even no HP roll, since it's also bad way of gambling in game).
5) HIgher ground is a standard bonus in 5e. If you want better chances to hit person on higher ground - either use spells that auto-hit, or spell with saving throw instead of spell-attack.

Last edited by Redwyrm; 15/10/20 01:03 AM.
Joined: May 2020
stranger
Offline
stranger
Joined: May 2020
So I Hated party control BG1/2 ... A lot did when it came out. To much point click dragging on the screen and the pathing of the characters was horrendus in the first game.. It was a meme how many times you clicked form one side of a map to another and and Minsc (with speed boots) was the only one there 5 mins later.... That is why "You must gather your party before venturing Forth", is Iconic.. Cause they never pathed to where you told them too.. So go click them solo and get them to Minsc...again.. While that spammed... I guess you haven't kept up with the times in the last 20 yrears so here are some answers to your questions...

1) Baldur's Gate 2 ended.. Dramatically.. So depeding on your playthrough, You became a new "good" Divine or embraced your father and became Bhaal... The End..
100 years later .. New threats on the Sword Coast yada yada..

2) I think you may be confused with what "Early Access" means... Wizards don't cast divine spells.. It's called a bug. I agree a solo Sorc playthrough maybe viable though.. Same as BG1/2!!

3) BG1/2 EE are up to 6 in a party. I loaded my game up and checked not 4... BG3 is yes, the change came with it now being D&D 5th edition. In earlier editions larger parties were sometimes needed because classes were more specilized. In 5th, classes are far less restricted and less are needed to fill roles. We dont need lockpickers or just a spellcaster or healer.. Every class can if the right feats, skills, and/or speacialty are picked.

4) Rolling stats is not a signature of Baldur's Gate.. It is of D&D since the 70's. The point buy system is official Wizards of the Coast Dungeon League rules though... Larian has said the are working on getting a "roll" option.

5) Nope its called "Science" wierd huh..

5b) I think you should try different strategies.. Jumping takes your bonus action.. Bonus Action can be used for more BACKSTABS if you Duelwielded!!! Even Wizards with a off-hand dagger can cast and then off-hand stabby stab laugh All classes can Flank, giving advantage.. This isn't 3.5. We do need a jump quit slot button though, but early access. Not all features are in the game yet, and others need to be tweaked.

6) Yep, dice rolls. It's what makes you really feel like you are playing D&D. I agree, and posted about to many rolls for the same outcome is bad DMing. It is when there are multiple outcomes, which there are in some cases that there should be multiple rolls. We should't have 3 rolls to fail. With the same positive outcome.

7) Who told you there was no Minsc and Boo? Have you searched Baldur's Gate yet? I know he was just brought back from a stone statue.. Also take that rapier out of Wyll's hand and give him duel +1 daggers.(He can duel a torch main and dagger offhand too smile That gives him a Bonus Action Attack with his offhand. Hex>Eldritch Blast- rd1 >Eldritch Blast> Offhand Stabby Stab=1d6/1d10+Cha/1d4+1 :O Over 20 damage! The Wiz Gale is decent at this too! Yeah the companions are just about some of the best I have ever seen.. Way better than -Imoen's “Whatcha want?” 1000 times over everytime you have to forcibly make her search for traps after reloading again...Its sooo nice just to get closs to hidden objects and things and rolls auto happen without you having to do anything...

7b) D&D 5e has been out for awhile now so you might as well get use to it.. All Classes can Heal, Dps, Disarm Traps, Cast Arcane or Divine spells at some degree. Yes you can be a Druid lockpicker that cast Magic Missles and wears heavy armor before you shapechange into a T-Rex to eat your foes. Play your way. Hopefully coming to EA soon.

8) A day and night/weather cycle would be nice. It's still early access, it may be in the works already.

9) The Flaming Fist is a band of "Mercanaries" that are now the Military and Police of Baldur's Gate after the last 30-40 years of losses to Chult. They wear all kinds of armor. Based on class..
No standing army is rich enough to outfit everyone in plate.. Half of the Fist are Rogues, Rangers, and other classes that don't wear plate because it restricts your Dex.

10) Completly wrong.. So Baldur's Gate 1-2 and now 3 are all completly turn based. First two are Real Time with Pause, the other Turn-Based Pause. It is a evolution in turn based combat. Both are based on D&D turn based combat. Your characters in BG1-2 only made a few attacks per turn, and you pause it on your "turn" to assign actions... It is just how you control the pause that changed and made it more tactical. Games wish they could look this good 20 years ago... It's like looking Atari games and going.. "oh man games were so much better back then with one big red button". Thats your opinion...

Let's not forget that a lot has happened to Baldur's Gate in the last 100 years. The last Bhaal Spawn ascended in BG2 Throne of Bhaal. This is what is happening to the city 100 years later...



Joined: Oct 2020
M
stranger
Offline
stranger
M
Joined: Oct 2020
Honestly I'd rather not get used to 5e, its dumbed down and simple. Characters should be unique, not cookie cutters. It also doesn't make much sense. Why not a Wizard in full plate with a 2h sword casting fireball and sneaky stabbing something with the 2h sword? Because in D&D forever, Wizards are supposed to be lightly armored, if at all, and use magic to boost their defense. On that topic, the way Wizards work in 5e, is also bad. You only get to select a few spells and then you have a certain amount of uses of any of them using spell slots. Isn't that how sorcerers are supposed to work?

I haven't seen a D&D video game come out that uses 5e rules, even some of the most recent ones that are good, like Kingmaker Pathfinder, Pillars of Eternity I and II. I think this is for a good reason. I do like the turn based combat system in this one.


I don't think the changes being requested are bad suggestions. I agree with a lot of them. My biggest change would be use 2e or 3e hybrid.

Also since this is a video game and not the table top a lot of D&D game makers critque the rule sets to meet the video game needs

Joined: Oct 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
Oh man, too many people here living in the past.

Also @OP your feedback oozes misinformation and ignorance, which a lot of people have already pointed out. Please note that you don't speak for all of us, but only maybe a few. This here:

Quote
I see many discuss how BG3 is bound by rules of dnd 5e but thats not the case , the game is build more or less on those rules but they can balance whatever they want, if they want to.
I spent 60 $ on an act1 of the game that isnt actually a game i expected, as did many.


shows that you have a lot of things to blame yourself for. You buy stuff that is clearly marked as EA and where a lot of things were clearly heading in a different direction than the old games, but you did not make an informed decision, but rather rant about you misbuy.

Joined: Aug 2020
Location: Turkey
stranger
Offline
stranger
Joined: Aug 2020
Location: Turkey
You are drowned in nostalgia and can't see the facts. If you wrote this with comments like i don't like / I don't understand it could have been understandable. You cannot say this is not baldur's gate. It is BG3 btw.

If larian to release a game with mechanics from 22 years ago, (yeah beamdog EE are just re-releases ) no one , even the hardcore "real time with pause mob with pitchforks" wouldn't like it.

  • Quote
    1. ) The game takes place 100 years after the events of Baldurs gate 2. (after all this time you have forgotten all the spells you had in baldurs gate 2 and now start at level 1 and your max level is going to be 10 ?
    You are not the same character, if you even played and finished BGII you would have known YOU CANNOT be the same character because either it becomes a GOD, gets old, or just too powerful
  • Quote
    2.) The rules have changed, now wizards can cast divine spells
    Wizards should not learn all spells, i agree on this.
  • Quote
    The party suddenly reduced from 6 to 4 man in both games bg1 and 2 and even the dragonspear which came out just recently
    It's by the book, Most encounters and games balanced around 4 people. Dragonspear is released at 2016 but still uses the 2nd Edition Advanced Dungeons And Dragons system that first games use 20 years ago and BEAMDOG had a limited agreement on engine so they could not change anything fundemental.
  • Quote
    You cant roll your stats in the beggining of the game, its also one of the signature things of the baldurs gate
    Again, it's about DND Rules, infinite dice rolling removed for balance. It's not a signature thing of Baldur's Gate, you only played Baldur's gate with this feature. Temple of elemental evil also had this for instance.
  • Quote
    If i climb on a cliff my spells suddenly follow the gravity rules and for some unknown fkn reason start to miss!!! Low chance of landing a spell on a person above you and higher chance to land hit on a person below. This is not baldurs gate.
    Larian is the DM. They added a variant rule of sight and height to give advantage/disadvantage. Advantage / disadvantage again is a mechanic from 5e dnd. A DM can give it if it sees fit. Read *> 5eTools
  • Quote
    JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP,
    Jump is overused, disangage should be fixed and jump can be related to athletics. I belive Larian making lots of stuff quick action, made combat closer to Pathfinder 2.0 and made it more variant (3 actions to do any and all stuff: move attack drink pot jump etc way better than dnd action - bonus action - reaction stuff.) Pathfinder 2.0 is another system with much more detail.
  • Quote
    roll dice roll dice roll dice
    In DnD we roll the dice. If you want to convince people , play a charisma based character.
  • Quote
    There is no Minsc and boo, im not attracted to characters,
    Well this is possibly the worst part of your "criticism i guess. Minsc and Boo are probably dead. Characters are well-written and have much more depth than most. Anyone waking up with a tadpole would be angry against all. If you use shadowheart's blessing on Astarion you can do some weird shit. She's a trickery cleric, maybe evil but, well if you are going to execute her on first occasion without even giving her a chance or understanding , it seems you are evil too, seems you are a good fit. All of this is just too personal and one dimensional.
  • Quote
    i heard from the code of the game that you plan on making characters be any class
    Beamdog added this feature on EE and it was liked. I guess you did not realized? It is there because with new difficulty options or for people who already finished game, trying different class /party combinations was a blessing.
  • Quote
    No day and night cycle, sucks..
    Agreed.
  • Quote
    Loot.. When you kill a flaming fist they must drop plate armor, and absolutely awesome HELM,
    You dont' like evil cleric but you kill Flaming Fist soldiers for their HELM? wow. You should look into yourself so you won't became a monster while fighting monsters. Loot is fine in my opinion.
  • Quote
    None of baldurs gate had turn based combat, they wont change it at all but like Fextralife on youtube said, when you fight a LOT of enemies at once, this fight take like 40 minutes.. and it sucks.. they will never change it but its another reason on the list that indicates this game is far from baldurs gate. And dont forget im not talking about DND in general im talking exactly about B A L D U R S GATE, the idea of using famous name to rework existing engine and make new stories was great, and helps their advertising model, look how many people were hyped for this even STEAM servers were overloaded but goddamn it people if you can make this game more like baldurs gate and less like divinity please do so...


    5edition is turn based. Not this shit again, ok. 5e is turn based, real time with pause breaks initiative and class balance, most skills and spells became useless. It is just nostalgia talking. Heroes 6 is better than 3. Wake up.





He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Core i7-6900K, 64GB Ram, Rtx 2080, Soundblaster ZXR, lg-34GK950F-B,Logitech Z906 Thx.
Joined: Sep 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Sep 2020
Let's start with number 1, since you go wrong from the get go. Baldur's Gate is not a person. It's not a floor wax nor is it a dessert topping. It is a city located on the Sword Coast of the world Faerun, and part of what is consdidered the Forgotten Realms. BG1 involved events occurring in and around the City of Baldur's Gate. BG2 involved further events occurring in and around other cities areas of the Sword Coast, but was referenced as BG2 because it continued the story of those in BG1. BG 3 once again involves events occurring in and around the city of Baldurs' Gate, hence the title.

I live in New York. New York existed 100 years ago, and stuff happened here - I just wasn't around for it. I am around for stuff that happens now.

Your character was not around for the stuff that happened in BG1 and 2, 100 plus years ago. Your character IS around for the stuff happening now. No matter how hard you stomp your feet, and how blue your face turns from holding your breath, you are NOT going to change these simple facts. If you insist on playing the continued adventures of the featured character from BG1 and 2, you will have to create your own game. That is not what this is, nor what this was advertised as. It is 5e based adventures of a new protagonist in the area of Baldur's Gate. Don't like it? Don't buy it. And certainly don't complain that an EA game advertised as a small, partial testing ground isn't the complete end product you fantasized.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5