Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
As the title says...I think my biggest complaint so far is the lack of Multiclassing, even if not all the classes are available yet. I'd rather do a LVL1 Rogue / LVL3 Warlock maybe than play either class straight (mainly to get a better group of Skills for a Face who picks locks and finds traps).

"Old time love song will die so swiftly.
You never trust me-
For a while it was nice, but it's time to say bye....

I'm cold, you're so cold-
You're so cold, you're so cold-
No-no-no, cold, you're so cold...."
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
*BUMP!*

You never trust me-

journeyman
journeyman
Yeah, looking forward to this myself. I normally always play multiclass in pnp so why not here?

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by HakkaStyle
Yeah, looking forward to this myself. I normally always play multiclass in pnp so why not here?

Same.

I'm not sure why they can't implement it soon with what they already have in terms of features (unless a lot of coding and design has yet to be done).

Even if you have a very limited class selection, I think dip characters are more interesting, and it would help make most of the classes "Faces" for the story.

You never trust me-

stranger
stranger
Bump

veteran
veteran
I think you are not getting answers because no one really knows aside from Larian.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
D
D
they haven't given any indication on when we can expect anything new.

enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
Taking how awful multiclassing in 5e - should be a very low priority for Larian.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by Redwyrm
Taking how awful multiclassing in 5e - should be a very low priority for Larian.

Not to be challenging, just curious what makes Multiclassing so bad in 5e specifically?

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
I would guess multiclassing will only come in a later stage in the EA. I would assume them to first want to see the classes themselves working and being balanced (and working) before they have to worry about combinations. Also multiclassing won't be that interesting when you have such a low level cap.

K
stranger
stranger
K

Same could be said about most of 5e. It's a very poorly defined and not very well thought out system. Doesn't mean this game can't be better.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by biomag
I would guess multiclassing will only come in a later stage in the EA. I would assume them to first want to see the classes themselves working and being balanced (and working) before they have to worry about combinations. Also multiclassing won't be that interesting when you have such a low level cap.

Actually I'm going to argue that Multiclassing helps to keep it all a bit more interesting.

Multiclassing helps even at low levels when it comes to making most of the races relevant. For example. If you're not picking a class that gets Perception as a skill and you want your character to be the party's Face/Rogue-lite, then you might as well pick Wood Elf (who also gets Perception AND Stealth AND extra movement, all for free) over all of the other classes. Even if you have to wait to fourth level to get another +2 in a primary stat.

Whereas with Multiclassing you can rely on a 1 level dip to gain a better spread of skills for a Face and pick just about any race for more diverse combinations that still net you relevant skills.

This could also be addressed to a lesser degree by adding more backgrounds from supplement books, but I'd much rather play a LVL01 Rogue/LVL03 Warlock, even with the cap at 4, and choose a different race.

You never trust me-

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Kelevraa

Same could be said about most of 5e. It's a very poorly defined and not very well thought out system. Doesn't mean this game can't be better.

I actually love 5e, it brought me back to D&D after being away from it since 2nd Edition.

I think the rules are fine, I just wish we had more of them to lean on (like Multiclassing) from the start to encourage a wide diversity of characters, while still allowing for the fact that it's a video game and not P&P (where you will need a Face and a Rogue no matter what in some combination).

You never trust me-

B
apprentice
apprentice
B
Power balance issue on 3.5 and Pathfinder (not early) was really shock, and DM should organize them with giving poor PCs good items, or prohibit multi-class which is OP, these kind of issues are more terrible than 5e on my opinion, even bad for making game as Computer game.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Multiclass Abominations have always been OP in any game.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by JDCrenton

Originally Posted by Bugginity
Power balance issue on 3.5 and Pathfinder (not early) was really shock, and DM should organize them with giving poor PCs good items, or prohibit multi-class which is OP, these kind of issues are more terrible than 5e on my opinion, even bad for making game as Computer game.

I disagree here. I've DM'd a lot of 5e. Multiclasses can be strong, but they also lose out on basic stat and spell progression.

It's mainly skill access and some OK spell/ability combos that helps with Multiclass. And again, it encourages people to use different types of Races more.

A basic Moon Druid can wipe the floor with everyone in an early game of D&D 5e, without needing much of anything, but for every class like that there's a Dozen others which really benefit from a small 1-3 level Dip.

You never trust me-

H
stranger
stranger
H
Multiclassing has rarely been a problem in 5e that I'm aware of, with the only serious exception I can think of being the coffeelock (Warlock that turns their spells into sorcery points, short-rests, accumulates more warlock slots, more points, ad infinitum, resulting in endless points and in some cases dipping into paladin for arbitrarily huge smites.) Even if there are issues, multiclassing takes both patience and significant game knowledge to optimize like that, and unless there is a competitive aspect of the game against other players, what would it matter if there are some broken combos? with the element of surprise you can kill everything with enough explosive barrels or other cheesy tactics anyway. You don't have to use them, and multiclassing offers a ton of fun for both theory crafting new interesting builds and new interesting character concepts.

enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Kelevraa

Well, not all as awfully bad in 5e as multiclassing. They could just remove it completely, providing you would almost guaranty screw up your build, by multiclassing instead of soloing singe class.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by CaryMiller
Originally Posted by JDCrenton

Originally Posted by Bugginity

I disagree here. I've DM'd a lot of 5e. Multiclasses can be strong, but they also lose out on basic stat and spell progression.

It's mainly skill access and some OK spell/ability combos that helps with Multiclass. And again, it encourages people to use different types of Races more.

A basic Moon Druid can wipe the floor with everyone in an early game of D&D 5e, without needing much of anything, but for every class like that there's a Dozen others which really benefit from a small 1-3 level Dip.

Then you haven't been building them right. Not the game's fault. You're probably talking about the pen and paper which clearly this game isn't. Not against them changing it to play more like the core ruleset and less like Divinity though.

Last edited by JDCrenton; 15/10/20 02:24 AM.
enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Smash Dently

Not to be challenging, just curious what makes Multiclassing so bad in 5e specifically?

Generally how restricting it is. You would get all low level things of new class, but would be extremely restricted on whole synergy. Especially since there are no prestige classes in 5e.
It's significantly worse even than 3.5e. And it's night and day compare to pathfinder, especially 2e. Which have very rewarding and yet very well balanced "multiclassing".

Here is entire rules for multiclassing in 5e:
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Generally you simply restricting yourself on gaining higher level spells and/or abilities of your original class. Which are significantly more powerful than anything of lower level. No abilities synergy would compensate that. In many cases something might sound cool. But as you hard test it - you would quickly get it's cool only in theory, but crap on practice. Solo-classed party member always outbest any multiclassed character in 5e.

Last edited by Redwyrm; 15/10/20 02:29 AM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard