Githyanki LIGHT cleric
high STR

take advantage of racial greatsword proficiency
take martial prowess at 4- riposte + X
take advantage of buffing/healing spells

any thoughts?

journeyman
journeyman
I went human Life cleric (16 str/16 wis) for the heavy armor myself. Focusing more on the protective aspects of the paladin than the smiting, but can still hit well and push people off cliffs.

Warrior/Mage thingy Eldrich Knight? Its the closest you can get to a Paladin. Just restrict your self to the buff spells and no offensive ones.
Paladin more martial skills, cleric is to much spell oriented.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D

Trying to make a cleric like a paladin is simply making a more martially focused cleric. Still a cleric because of all those sweet spells, and no smites. Larian hasn't provided any martial cleric domains yet either. No Tempest, Forge, or War domains, all of which get heavy armor. I do hope to see them in the future. And a vengeance paladin would be sweet hehe

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Originally Posted by dwheresmymana

Trying to make a cleric like a paladin is simply making a more martially focused cleric. Still a cleric because of all those sweet spells, and no smites. Larian hasn't provided any martial cleric domains yet either. No Tempest, Forge, or War domains, all of which get heavy armor. I do hope to see them in the future. And a vengeance paladin would be sweet hehe

I think the forge, war and tempest subclasses come from expansion books, like the hex blade and other popular subclasses.
But it would be awesome to see a forge cleric, they are fun to play on table top.

O
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
O
Originally Posted by xMardeRx
Warrior/Mage thingy Eldrich Knight? Its the closest you can get to a Paladin. Just restrict your self to the buff spells and no offensive ones.
Paladin more martial skills, cleric is to much spell oriented.

im thiniking it can play like a eld knight, as there doesnt seem to be a different to hit table based on class- so all classes roll the the same to hit table.

High str. decent wis, dec con , plus you get to use a greatsword as a githyanki. Obviously if the paladin were available id do that-- but I think it can work up to level 4. No class gets multiple attacks at level 4 anyhow-- so melee-wise it should be the same.

Also Id use the melee atk spells like necotic touch? and what ever that other one was.

journeyman
journeyman
I’m currently playing an high half elf with 16 dex 16 wisdom with firebolt Cantrip dual wielding daggers for the time being for the offhand attack after cast. With shield of faith and gith armor I’ll be at 19 AC, not exactly a sword and board Paladin, but with burning hands and necrotic touch for melee and firebolt and radiant for ranged, it’s a very damage oriented version. My hit chance with Bless up honestly means I could use whatever I want in mainhand and still hit 80% of the time with the no profeciency negative whenever in need to attack instead of cast

Last edited by macadami; 14/10/20 10:17 PM.
D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Originally Posted by Dinvan

I think the forge, war and tempest subclasses come from expansion books, like the hex blade and other popular subclasses.
But it would be awesome to see a forge cleric, they are fun to play on table top.

Tempest and War domain are both PHB. Forge is in Xanathar's.

My first 5E character was a variant human tempest domain cleric of Valkur, with the sailor background and war caster feat. Lots of fun to play.

Last edited by dwheresmymana; 15/10/20 01:32 AM. Reason: sloppiness
D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Originally Posted by macadami
I’m currently playing an high half elf with 16 dex 16 wisdom with firebolt Cantrip dual wielding daggers for the time being for the offhand attack after cast. With shield of faith and gith armor I’ll be at 19 AC, not exactly a sword and board Paladin, but with burning hands and necrotic touch for melee and firebolt and radiant for ranged, it’s a very damage oriented version. My hit chance with Bless up honestly means I could use whatever I want in mainhand and still hit 80% of the time with the no profeciency negative whenever in need to attack instead of cast

A light cleric right? How did you get firebolt? Am I missing something?

journeyman
journeyman

High elves and high half-elves get a free cantrip at character creation.

Don't forget to cast Light on the "paladin" to holy light up their weapon!

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Originally Posted by Gabriel Farishta

High elves and high half-elves get a free cantrip at character creation.

Oh right, yeah, thanks!

O
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
O
so far at level 3 the githyanki light cleric with greatsword is working like a charm.

I hit as hard as any other 2h wielder-
i can buff/debuff
i have way better healing that Shadowheart will ever have-- IE 2 light specced heals that have tremendous ae range
i can do ranged DPS when needed

being that level cap is 4 there really isnt a difference between be a fighter/ranger base class-- as it seems all atks arent increased/decreased based on class.

Meaning that a mage has the same die roll that a fighter would have. being that we are capped at level 4-- extra atks dont come into play.

Im going to say that the class is a success.

When I finish-- Im going to make a melee, greatsword githyanki mage. I can already he will be a better eldritch knight thanthe figher based eldrithch knight, as he will get more spells for ulility and damage than the fighter based eldrtich knight would get, while have the same or better defense due to having access to defensive buffs _ like mirror image as an example, while do the same melee dps when needed.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Originally Posted by Dinvan

Tempest and War domain are both PHB. Forge is in Xanathar's.

My first 5E character was a variant human tempest domain cleric of Valkur, with the sailor background and war caster feat. Lots of fun to play.

Ah yes you are quite correct, for some reason I thought forge and war came from xanathars(its forge and grave), just went and rescued my hard backs from my toilet library to check lmao

Last edited by Dinvan; 15/10/20 05:20 PM.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard