Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#696993 14/10/20 05:01 PM
T
OP Offline
T
The blood pools are in the right spot, though I'm missing the good old classic dismemberment for extra combat feedback, no need to make Soldier of Fortune 2 levels of violence but enough to catch the grimdark ambience around me. I know you open this game messing with someones brains but its the combat that what matters most.
Does Larian engine support such animations? Given that on DoS have death animations during elemental kills, I believe it should be in the scope of the engine to add such animations? Melee characters appreciate it for sure.

Takamori #697047 14/10/20 05:19 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Takamori

Does Larian engine support such animations?

If you hit the enemy hard enough they will spin like a tesseract about to transport a planet to the other side of the universe and then turn into what looks like a sailboat sail that is about 120 feet long, half buried in the ground, and the color of like their sleeve or something, but now stretch across the entire surface of the part of them that sticks out of whatever dimension you just sh&t stomped them into. Does that count?

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
Orbax #697066 14/10/20 05:26 PM
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Orbax

If you hit the enemy hard enough they will spin like a tesseract about to transport a planet to the other side of the universe and then turn into what looks like a sailboat sail that is about 120 feet long, half buried in the ground, and the color of like their sleeve or something, but now stretch across the entire surface of the part of them that sticks out of whatever dimension you just sh&t stomped them into. Does that count?

This is what I'm going to describe my next kill as when my DM asks me our style of "How do you want to kill them?".

In all seriousness though, I agree with OP.
Crits especially should have some kind of unique kill. The camera is a great start (Though I've only seen it function correctly once).
The lack of kill variety is also probably due to the fact that, from what I've noticed anyway, there's only one way your characters swing their weapons. Hopefully they implement more, then tie those to specific kill styles.

Noraver #697078 14/10/20 05:30 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Noraver

This is what I'm going to describe my next kill as when my DM asks me our style of "How do you want to kill them?".

Crits especially should have some kind of unique kill. The camera is a great start (Though I've only seen it function correctly once).
The lack of kill variety is also probably due to the fact that, from what I've noticed anyway, there's only one way your characters swing their weapons. Hopefully they implement more, then tie those to specific kill styles.

We could start an r/d100 ways to animate a death.
1. Cut their head off, the camera only focuses on the beheaded creatures face as it tumbles and mouths a vile curse. roll a d20. On a 1, you are affected by a form of temporary madness. See the temporary madness table.
2. In quick succession their limbs are cut off. The limbless torso lurches towards you screaming "give me shrubbery!". If you do not finish it off, in 1d4 days it will turn into a revenant and attack you in your sleep

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
Takamori #697082 14/10/20 05:30 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
+ 1

I would love to see dismemberment.

Edit: That didn't sound right.

Last edited by Druid_NPC; 14/10/20 05:31 PM.

Necromancy is just recycling...
Noraver #697109 14/10/20 05:37 PM
H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
Originally Posted by Noraver

Dragon age origin had some very cool finishing moves for big ennemies like the giants demon and what not . Would be cool if Baldurs gate had a couple of animation like that . One for melee weapon, one for ranged and one for spellcasting maybe? for big enemy like ogres , goblin chief, worg.

Its probably easier to do a custom animation than to do real disembering, as dismembering force you to create a new 3D model for the inside of the creature your disembering. also force you to potentially cut the model into differents part. I'm not sure how its done in mortal kombat but its seems a bit of an hassle.

Last edited by Hachina; 14/10/20 05:39 PM.

If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt
Hachina #697129 14/10/20 05:45 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Hachina

Dragon age origin had some very cool finishing moves for big ennemies like the giants demon and what not . Would be cool if Baldurs gate had a couple of animation like that . One for melee weapon, one for ranged and one for spellcasting maybe? for big enemy like ogres , goblin chief, worg.

Its probably easier to do a custom animation than to do real disembering, as dismembering force you to create a new 3D model for the inside of the creature your disembering. also force you to potentially cut the model into differents part. I'm not sure how its done in mortal kombat but its seems a bit of an hassle.

It depends on the engine, Unity is hell on earth like you said, you need to create a new paperdoll, given its an RPG you have to replicate the paperdoll with the equipment if is not a monster with generic skin. So kudos to Wasteland 3 team working with this engine and implementing gore!
Unreal engine does it in a smoother way its just allows you do cut the paper doll and that it (of course its a shooter engine).

Orbax #697146 14/10/20 05:53 PM
addict
addict
We could start an r/d100 ways to animate a death.
1. Cut their head off, the camera only focuses on the beheaded creatures face as it tumbles and mouths a vile curse. roll a d20. On a 1, you are affected by a form of temporary madness. See the temporary madness table.
2. In quick succession their limbs are cut off. The limbless torso lurches towards you screaming "give me shrubbery!". If you do not finish it off, in 1d4 days it will turn into a revenant and attack you in your sleep

...now I want that.

Takamori #697148 14/10/20 05:54 PM
stranger
stranger
Oh, I love this. It sounds awesome.

Takamori #697178 14/10/20 06:05 PM
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Gory finishes on big/unique monsters would be amazing! I'd also appreciate the occasional decapitation or horrific mutilation.

Takamori #697258 14/10/20 06:27 PM
H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
Originally Posted by Hachina

It depends on the engine, Unity is hell on earth like you said, you need to create a new paperdoll, given its an RPG you have to replicate the paperdoll with the equipment if is not a monster with generic skin. So kudos to Wasteland 3 team working with this engine and implementing gore!
Unreal engine does it in a smoother way its just allows you do cut the paper doll and that it (of course its a shooter engine).

Okay, thanks for the infos smile it's great that new engines allow for easier special effect like that.

If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt
Takamori #697317 14/10/20 06:50 PM
L
apprentice
apprentice
L
Your wishes are fair, I would just like to add my perspective: I would hope that this is toggable. I don't really have a problem with what the game looks like now (sometimes a little bit, but it's within reason for me), but any more gore would feel very uncomfortable to me. So if they add more gore, I would really hope for an option to tune it down.

Takamori #697361 14/10/20 07:04 PM
veteran
veteran
Violence levels are a thing.

LizNuzz #697477 14/10/20 07:53 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by LizNuzz
Your wishes are fair, I would just like to add my perspective: I would hope that this is toggable. I don't really have a problem with what the game looks like now (sometimes a little bit, but it's within reason for me), but any more gore would feel very uncomfortable to me. So if they add more gore, I would really hope for an option to tune it down.

Usually games come with the toggle options for violence, disable blood and gore.

Link Copied to Clipboard