Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
stranger
stranger
I actually had no idea how Wyll ended up in my camp. I don't remember seeing him before that party. I didn't realize he was a potential companion before. So I didn't expect him to be jealous because I chose Astarion or to complain about why I didn't take him to fight the goblins. It was so weird.

I guess they want all the options to be available to you. While it was nice that I managed to seduce Astarion even though he didn't like my decisions, it doesn't make a lot of sense and shouldn't be that easy.

Is there a way to see the attitude you have with your companions like in Divinity? I'm just guessing. Maybe I did something right by him.

A
stranger
stranger
A
If I may draw the comparison to Dragon Age Origins (while wincing and feeling particularly guilty for the good ol' compare x to o sound of that), I think the problem really is in the pacing. The reason I bring up DA:O is because I have felt the sensation of romanceable whiplash to this extreme once before, and it was in that game. Say the right things and ask all available questions as a female MC of any race or class and you can have Alistair head over heels in love 100+ Approval on night one.

This was the same feeling from an almost reversed effect. I'm playing a good aligned character, thus only Gale and Wyll have warmed up to my MC, barely verging on affection that suggests they could be more. Asterion, Lae'zel and Shadowheart all range from hating my guts to neutral - only because Shadowheart hates my guts but loves when I pet the dog. But then, out of nowhere, all three are extremely interested in boning the good cleric.

I got the same feeling and I think it's dissonance with the pacing in both cases.

Either all that or the flirtation / high approval state scenes are samples left in while the low approval alternatives are yet to be implemented; much like how Wyll and Gale lack equivelent love scenes to the rest as of now, if I'm not mistaken.

Either way, I think it's definitely a big thing to consider. You're right than the romance writing could do with some tweaking.

Originally Posted by Eddiar
And with the Tieflings being so happy and grateful there was no option to try to seduce one or two for some private fun time.

Yeah I was pretty disappointed when my Half-Drow couldn't get with that Tiefling girl that he wrote an emotional song with, I felt like that would've been an obvious opportunity for a fling during a night of merriment

Originally Posted by Ashley1Black

Is there a way to see the attitude you have with your companions like in Divinity? I'm just guessing. Maybe I did something right by him.

There's one in the Character Sheets window (B) but I've never paid enough attention to it to notice it saying anything other than neutral so no idea if it works
Edit: Wait, there's an option in Divinity: OS2 to see your companions attitude? I don't think I ever saw that laugh

Last edited by Khorvale; 14/10/20 06:54 PM.
veteran
veteran
Serves you right for pumping charisma.

B
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
B
Originally Posted by Ashley1Black

Yes, examine them, or look at their character sheet.

Originally Posted by Khorvale
There's one in the Character Sheets window (B) but I've never paid enough attention to it to notice it saying anything other than neutral so no idea if it works
Edit: Wait, there's an option in Divinity: OS2 to see your companions attitude? I don't think I ever saw that laugh

It does work. If you use the dog petting exploit, you can see your status with Gale, Shadowheart and Wyll increase from/to neutral, medium, high, etc.

stranger
stranger
Gotta be a bug here. No one wanted to bang me except Astarion. But once I agreed to meet him, everyone was suddenly jealous. Guess they all wanted him frown

We'll bang, OK?

B
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
B
Originally Posted by Calypso'd
Gotta be a bug here. No one wanted to bang me except Astarion. But once I agreed to meet him, everyone was suddenly jealous. Guess they all wanted him frown

Maybe there is something to this...

I entered the camp and Astarion had a mark over his head so I went and talked to him. He was all about that MC banging action and I told him I would think about it. I then talked to the others and each of them wanted some MC action too. Perhaps the order of conversations matters?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by BROttorney
Originally Posted by Calypso'd

Maybe there is something to this...

I entered the camp and Astarion had a mark over his head so I went and talked to him. He was all about that MC banging action and I told him I would think about it. I then talked to the others and each of them wanted some MC action too. Perhaps the order of conversations matters?

Same exact thing happened to me if this helps narrow down the issue.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
I mostly feel it's way too early in the storyline. It should take longer to form a relationship. I think they got it [i]pretty[/] good in Dragon Age: Inquisition. It took time and felt reasonably natural, and the storyline with some of the characters rather funny.

I'm not saying that BG3 needs that amount of evolving focus on inter-personal relationship building, but it does feel like the romance comes a tad early in the game.

stranger
stranger
Astarion is the first NPC to be open about it. He was starting to get too cozy. I figured he was written that way. besides, as a Vampire, getting close to you is his main ticked to a pretty neck.

I'm at level 3. Shadowheart and Lae'zel have made no advances. Also I don't have Wyl's dialogue options to start hitting on them. So far, all the NPCs are neutral to me.

As to the argument it's too early, I figured Larian wants to entice the player of what's to come with the main game.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
LOL!!!!!! I know, me too!! I'm like.... what have these people done to get this to happen?.... everyone seems annoyed by me right now.... Even Astarion hates all my decisions.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I believe in the Options menu, there is a 'Never Bathe' option, that turns off romances.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
I actually have the opposite problem lol. I was playing a good character so Gale and Wyll approved all my actions. I had "exceptional" approval with them and they were the only ones who turned me down. Situation with Wyll was especially funny, because he said "I just don't feel the connection" and then he slept with Laethel. Yeah, you don't feel connection with a person who did all your quests and was acting heroic but you feel connection with the evil githyanki. Alright.
And I actually think it's great that sex finally is not an ultimate goal of the relationship in the game. I'm really interested to see how relationship will develop later on. Plus it really suits Astarion and Laethel and I heard you don't actually sleep with Shadowheart. Not sure about Wyll and Gale because well I've never got that scene with them.

K
K
Originally Posted by Eddiar
In my gameplay Shadowheart was flirty because of some of my actions.

Like not giving up Aastarion and other random events like it in the druid camp. So I naturally just chose her but it was so odd that everyone in the camp was giving me the the googoo eyes even though I barely exchanged 10 words with them. Especially Gale.

And with the Tieflings being so happy and grateful there was no option to try to seduce one or two for some private fun time.

That would be far more believable than Gale's "u want sum fuk babe?" Line. Lol.

side with the goblins and you get another bang option

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Noraver
I believe this was brought up as a bug previously, but it's fairly rare; I haven't had it happen to myself.

From what I read, it just makes all of your companions jump you at the same time like that. Not sure what causes it.

Damn Tadpoles, making everyone so horny!

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Quent
No matter what choices I've made or how high my charisma, I haven't actually managed to get any companions to romance me. Dialogue gets very suggestive, and then when I select the option of lets do this they're all like "yeah, nah.".

No matter what character I play, they end up as heartbroken as me.

The same thing happened to my character, only she had low charisma. It was especially offensive with Astarion: he began to flirt first, but when I chose the line that I was going to bed him, he said that my character did not meet his standards. Stupid attractive asshole.

T
stranger
stranger
T

I assumed it was done purposely so we could get a hint of the romance system in the EA. I expect they will tighten it up quite a bit before they are done. Ultimately, all I got out of shadowheart was a kiss. So...art imitates life....

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by citrum
Originally Posted by Quent
No matter what choices I've made or how high my charisma, I haven't actually managed to get any companions to romance me. Dialogue gets very suggestive, and then when I select the option of lets do this they're all like "yeah, nah.".

No matter what character I play, they end up as heartbroken as me.

The same thing happened to my character, only she had low charisma. It was especially offensive with Astarion: he began to flirt first, but when I chose the line that I was going to bed him, he said that my character did not meet his standards. Stupid attractive asshole.

I found playing hard to get ("What entertainment do you mean?") got him to propose invoking the glowering illithid.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard