Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Originally Posted by gish
Maybe not fair to compare BG3 to BG2 since BG2 starts in the middle of the story. Maybe BG1 would be more appropriate.

And what do we have in Act 1 of BG1? Investigating an iron shortage. Kobold in a mine. Bandits. Some monsters. Some mysterious dreams. Fairly basic stuff and similar to what we have in BG3 Act 1.

Part of what made BG series great was building from that basic DnD starting adventure module in BG1 Act 1 to the super epic stuff in BG2/ToB.

Let's give it time. Right now we only have Act 1 to judge.

I think you are mixing the hero's journey and the setting itself. BG1 started with a classical hero's journey, leading you from humble beginnings to an interesting set up, slowly exposing you to the lore and the world. However, it was so simple that you could have easily changed the setting and the story would not have much differed. Replace Candlekeep with any other library-fortress, replace kobolds with some other small angry creatures, iron shortage is fairly universal (i.e. not FR specific), etc.

The main difference with BG3 is that it throws you in the middle of action dumping all the lore on you from the start. I would argue that BG3 is actually way more Forgotten Realms than BG1 since you are presented with some of its key inhabitants and quirks - Githyanki, Illithinds, Nautiloid, ceremorphosis, which are not present in any imaginary setting out there. But its does not take you slowly through the lore, its throws you mercilessly in the middle of the conflict.

Last edited by Arideya; 20/10/20 05:33 PM.

"There are three things that are strength incarnate: there is love of life, there is fear of death, and there is family. A family that loves death would have a strong pull indeed." - Tamoko
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Abits
Actually Savarok trying to be the Highlander sounds about right. It's actually a very cool way to think about it.

Alas without evidence tis no more than fancy.

I am here to discuss a video game. Please do not try to rope me into anything other than that. Thank you.
Originally Posted by Argonaut
Actually Savarok trying to be the Highlander sounds about right. It's actually a very cool way to think about it.

it is smile
Here is the post from one of Sarevok's concept artist, admitting that he was a rip-off from Highlander's Kurgan: https://www.deviantart.com/uncannyknack/art/Sarevok-359439963

"There are three things that are strength incarnate: there is love of life, there is fear of death, and there is family. A family that loves death would have a strong pull indeed." - Tamoko
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Arideya

it is smile
Here is the post from one of Sarevok's concept artist, admitting that he was a rip-off from Highlander's Kurgan: https://www.deviantart.com/uncannyknack/art/Sarevok-359439963

This proves the highlander was an inspiration for Sarevoks design, not that Sarevok trying to be the highlander is the plot line of BG1 smile Try again.

@robertthebard
Don't type fast at me if you don't see a reply until tomorrow because I have actual children I need to go take care of. You are welcome to PM me as well if you would want more immediate attention.

Last edited by Argonaut; 20/10/20 05:36 PM.

I am here to discuss a video game. Please do not try to rope me into anything other than that. Thank you.

This proves the highlander was an inspiration for Sarevoks design, not that Sarevok trying to be the highlander is the plot line of BG1 smile Try again.

There is literally "there can be only one" premise sprinkled throughout the first game with him killing all the other Bhaalspawn out there, including the dude in the opening cinematic. Try again.

Last edited by Arideya; 20/10/20 05:37 PM.

enthusiast
enthusiast

There is literally "there can be only one" premise with him killing all the other Bhaalspawn out there, including the dude in the opening cinematic. Try again.
This premise applies to all Bhaalspawn and is both the prophecy of Alaundo and a consequence of the time of troubles. Furthermore, posting an artists saying that he took inspiration for his design from a highlander still doesn't support the premise that this is the plot line of BG1. Please google the following terms as I have to leave now:

Inciting incident
Plot point
Plot hook
Plot line
Pivotal incident

Third times the charm smile

Last edited by Argonaut; 20/10/20 05:38 PM.

veteran
veteran

it is smile

@robertthebard
Don't type fast at me if you don't see a reply until tomorrow because I have actual children I need to go take care of. You are welcome to PM me as well if you would want more immediate attention.

why are you so against it? it's not like it's a bad thing...

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."

He is trying to be the brightest bulb in the chandelier but doesn't come across as anything other than passive aggressive.

Last edited by Arideya; 20/10/20 05:43 PM.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Oh god last one.

I'm not. Factually, however, it is not the plot line of BG1 even if you use reductive reasoning. I'm just tired of people throwing around wet blanket excuses to dissuade discussion and criticism that does not suit their narrative or viewpoints rather than actually challenging and refuting these points with evidence, reasoning and fact. This doubles for the "it's just EA" argument because not only are we adults and know this and don't need someone to nanny us and remind us three to five times a thread, but it is extremely condescending and patronizing. Just for that I will argue to the highest of semantics.

He is trying to be the brightest bulb in the chandelier but doesn't come across as anything but passive aggressive.

I'm not the one abandoning discourse to fling personal insults wink
It's starting to be a bit difficult to be civil though.

Last edited by Argonaut; 20/10/20 05:45 PM.

W
veteran
veteran
W

He is trying to be the brightest bulb in the chandelier but doesn't come across as anything other than passive aggressive.

No so much passive. He is openly performing the motions of an old school 90s nerd caricature. The kind of apoplectic person who gets bellicose about proving he is right about a silly fantasy setting but doesn’t have the self-awareness to understand how ridiculous this behavior is. Just let him stew. He isn’t worth talking to.

addict
addict
"The Kurgan" was much funnier than Sarevok. I can see the Highlander parallels, except for Viekang. What ever happened to Viekang? Last time I saw him was Saradush, where I spooked him out.

I don't think we're ever told what happens if he escapes. Either an oversight or a plot point, who knows...

veteran
veteran
It doesn't have to be the exact same thing to clearly be an inspiration. Think about the Bhaal saga in simple terms - you have a lot of people with special powers who are connected to each other, and once only one of them is left he gets a big prize. of course, there is much that's going on if you zoom in, but in the macro level it's quite the same, and I don't see what's wrong with it. Highlander is a great movie with a great premise, and so is BG.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
W
veteran
veteran
W
Canonically Viekang survives and either kills Gorion’s Ward (Abdel Adrian) and becomes the Slayer or Abdel kill him and becomes the Slayer. Either way, the player party in the campaign Murder in Baldur’s Gate kills the Slayer, and this kicks off the events of that campaign.

I‘m hoping that none of this is mentioned in BG3 so I can just ignore it.

Last edited by Warlocke; 20/10/20 06:13 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Warlocke
Canonically Viekang survives and either kills Gorion’s Ward (Abdel Adrian) and becomes the Slayer or Abdel kill him and becomes the Slayer. Either way, the player party in the campaign Murder in Baldur’s Gate kills the Slayer, and this kicks off the events of that campaign.

Amen

Ah I did not know about the Murder in Baldur's Gate.

I know its silly to think so but I prefer to pretend that Abdel Adrian does not exist and my Bhaalspawn is chilling happily on the Planes.

I do like the fact that any mention of Gorion's Ward in the game is very ambiguous right now, just that they existed, but who they were was left out. I can only hope it stays that way.

W
veteran
veteran
W

Ah I did not know about the Murder in Baldur's Gate.

I know its silly to think so but I prefer to pretend that Abdel Adrian does not exist and my Bhaalspawn is chilling happily on the Planes.

I do like the fact that any mention of Gorion's Ward in the game is very ambiguous right now, just that they existed, but who they were was left out. I can only hope it stays that way.

I don’t think that is silly. I concur completely. Murder in Baldur’s Gate gives a conclusion to the story of Gorion’s Ward that follows neither of the endings from ToB, and that pretty much no fans like. And Abdel is pretty universally reviled. I have my own head canon, too, so I hope that Larian finds a way to address the date of the Bhaalspawn in a way that is general and doesn’t intrude too much on the imagination of fans from the old games.

Last edited by Warlocke; 20/10/20 06:52 PM.
S
stranger
stranger
S
Larian knows better than all of you wanna be experts

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Skin Overbone
Larian knows better than all of you wanna be experts

Are you quite certain? Sir Christopher's Lee Tolkien knowledge surpassed that of Peter Jackson

old hand
old hand

Yeah, that is a reference to something another poster said, hence I put it in quotes initially. It does a fairly good job of summarizing his motivations, since, in the end, his goal was for there to be only one.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard