Next Thread
Print Thread
O
Otowa Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
O
Just completed a playthrough of the EA. I'll give here the biggest points I have to make about the game, not going through minor bugs and things that are obviously WIP.

Little bit of background. I played BG1 and 2 back in the days, played DOS 1 and 2 recently, and started DMing for DnD5e recently.

What I liked :

-Visuals look very good, from characters to environments. Not much to say here.

-Story is interesting so far, also are side quests for most of them.

-DnD Lore felt right and used in a good way.

-The overall combat mechanics, even though very inspired by DOS, feel like a nice DnD take on it.

-Finally there is some good narration mechanics in a Larian game. Dialogs and cinematics are very welcomed.

What I disliked.

-Never missing throwables. Seeing a gob hitting me 100% when I'm on top of the building, 20 meters above him, on wooden beam, with a burning grenade is really annoying and very unrealistic in terms of skills.

-As mentionned here and there, there are way too many surfaces and combos. This feel like what should NOT have been transferred as is from DOS.

-PLEASE. NO PUZZLES. Yes, I'm looking at you, disks to open the temple. In DnD DM community, it is usually advised to not use puzzle. They break the rythm, and can become frustrating. Its is not an interesting mechanic. At all.

-The camping mechanic is not done in a good way. It is nice to have these interludes, but the feature can be abused all the time. You can litteraly just go out of a fight in the underdark, and get teleported to your outside camp to heal completely. Long rest have "cooldowns" in DnD, otherwise you just use it as a cheap healing mechanic. And I really hope it's planned to integrate the camp in the place you are actually in, and maybe even get a roll with a risk of a night encounter.

-The area of the game feel crowded and corridor-esque, just like DOS. I'd love big spaces.

ADDED EDIT :

There are also just too many containers in the game, empty or not. It's tedious. There could be one tenth of the actual quantity and it would still be ok.

General feelings.

I really enjoyed my time apart from obvious bugs and WIP. I really want to see more. I know this can't change, but I disliked a little the fact that we don't get a more calm moment in the act. Being thrown in 5 conflicts at a time as a start of an adventure is a little tough.

Last edited by Otowa; 14/10/20 07:19 PM.
F
stranger
stranger
F
There is a lever in the temple to completely avoid puzzle (should give you perception check)

journeyman
journeyman
I want more puzzles, actually.

journeyman
journeyman
I have to disagree with you here.

I enjoy puzzles and there a nice way to tuck in some easter eggs, cool loot, and secrets.

Theres nothing more exciting them finally figuring out a puzzle you suspect is alluding you, or playing around and stumbling upon something (
I'm looking at you handle in the cellar hiding behind some crates
)

As a free action, can I regret my life choices
journeyman
journeyman
I didn't know it was bad protocol to have puzzles. LOL I <3 puzzles as a player and a GM. I like them the way they are here too. Natural discovery is always awesome.

Link Copied to Clipboard