Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#697674 14/10/20 09:02 PM
F
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
F
Your character, and your entire party, can be cured of their tadpoles twenty minutes into the game (not counting the speed runners, there). How?

Tadpoles are shown to consistently, willingly, and quickly exit corpses. You start with scrolls of Revivify, and later can free a necromancer, allowing a short- and long- term availability for resurrection. You could just die, wait for the tadpole to leave, and be revived, which is a much safer plan than working with a Devil or letting a hag rip out your eye.

EDIT: Of course, this doesn’t work quite as well for Gale, but five out of six isn’t bad.

Last edited by fishworshipper; 14/10/20 09:05 PM.
You do not unterstand, who did write the story wants you to do exactly what he wants you to do. Its not your story. Its as linear as a ego shooter with zero depth.
You see you have a book writer, writing a story not a DM creating a set peace.

Thats why wyll show up in the camp even if you dont collect him. You have to witness him no matter your choices!
And it will get worse.

F
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
F
Originally Posted by xMardeRx
You do not unterstand, who did write the story wants you to do exactly what he wants you to do. Its not your story. Its as linear as a ego shooter with zero depth.
You see you have a book writer, writing a story not a DM creating a set peace.

Thats why wyll show up in the camp even if you dont collect him. You have to witness him no matter your choices!
And it will get worse.

That’s obviously not true, considering the variety of choices and outcomes already available. Wyll can straight up die in the fight that introduces him.

Originally Posted by fishworshipper
Your character, and your entire party, can be cured of their tadpoles twenty minutes into the game (not counting the speed runners, there). How?

Tadpoles are shown to consistently, willingly, and quickly exit corpses. You start with scrolls of Revivify, and later can free a necromancer, allowing a short- and long- term availability for resurrection. You could just die, wait for the tadpole to leave, and be revived, which is a much safer plan than working with a Devil or letting a hag rip out your eye.

EDIT: Of course, this doesn’t work quite as well for Gale, but five out of six isn’t bad.

How far into the game did you get? Based on the interactions I experienced I am of an entirely different opinion, but I don't really want to spoil anything, especially since Larian advice against spoilers in this sub-forum.

F
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
F
Originally Posted by frequentic

How far into the game did you get? Based on the interactions I experienced I am of an entirely different opinion, but I don't really want to spoil anything, especially since Larian advice against spoilers in this sub-forum.

I’ve played all the way through to
the end of the Underdark
once and about 75-50% there a few other times. I’ve missed a handful of encounters here and there, but got a solid percentage of it overall. PM your reasoning?

journeyman
journeyman
There's a few answers here worth noting because, it might shock you, but in a setting as old as forgotten realms, there are actually some answers here.
Ok first of all, the scrolls are more a player aide then anything, no revivify spell exists in D&D. now resurection spells exist, but they're EXPENSIVE. (as in the material components to cast them are pricy)
A ressurection spell is a 7th level spell (meaning you'd need a 13th level Cleric the nearest one of which is proably baldur's gate) and a true ressurection spell (which could easily be ruled to be nesscary to removing "lingering magical curse effects") costs 25,0000 gold. In addition the soul must be willing to come back, what if the only cleric avaliable is a cleric of selune? think Shadowhearts going to jump to return if she hears that "A cleric of selune wishes to return you to the Material plane"? there are a LOT of other factions. suffice to say "ohh just kill our chars and ressurect them" has a LOT of flaws.

W
veteran
veteran
W
This could be a bit of a stretch, but if a character planned on dying and being brought back, or just happened to die but there were allies nearby who both intended to and had the means to bring them back, then this is information that would be available to the tadpole. Thus, it would choose to sit tight.

Resurrection in the FR setting is a difficult contrivance to build a narrative around, though.

S
S
Originally Posted by Warlocke
This could be a bit of a stretch, but if a character planned on dying and being brought back, or just happened to die but there were allies nearby who both intended to and had the means to bring them back, then this is information that would be available to the tadpole. Thus, it would choose to sit tight.

Resurrection in the FR setting is a difficult contrivance to build a narrative around, though.

It didn't sit tight for the hobo nor the holy chick.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by SacredWitness

It didn't sit tight for the hobo nor the holy chick.

neither of whom had allies immediatly on hand intending to ressurect them

What is with gales necrosis?
Would that not kill the tadpole instantly once he drops dead?

P
stranger
stranger
P
BrianDavion: There is a revivify spell in 5e. It has to be used within 1 minute of the character's death.

xMardeRx: If you allow the hag to operate on you, you'll see a probable reason why no, that would not work.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by frequentic

Depending of choices in quests/interactions (+ how much notes/books you read) you can get a totally different experience in the game. I'm not surprised people are missing things.

And as someone else said, the scrolls of revivify are based on the 3rd level Cleric spell. Revive with 1 HP and can only be used under 1 minutes of death technically. Also, doesn't work if the person died of old age nor does it fix missing limbs.

F
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
F
Originally Posted by BrianDavion
There's a few answers here worth noting because, it might shock you, but in a setting as old as forgotten realms, there are actually some answers here.
Ok first of all, the scrolls are more a player aide then anything, no revivify spell exists in D&D. now resurection spells exist, but they're EXPENSIVE. (as in the material components to cast them are pricy)
A ressurection spell is a 7th level spell (meaning you'd need a 13th level Cleric the nearest one of which is proably baldur's gate) and a true ressurection spell (which could easily be ruled to be nesscary to removing "lingering magical curse effects") costs 25,0000 gold. In addition the soul must be willing to come back, what if the only cleric avaliable is a cleric of selune? think Shadowhearts going to jump to return if she hears that "A cleric of selune wishes to return you to the Material plane"? there are a LOT of other factions. suffice to say "ohh just kill our chars and ressurect them" has a LOT of flaws.

Revivify does exist. It's a third level spell available to all level five clerics. Costs 100 gold, less than what [spoiler character] demands. Having immediate access to the spell is a plausibly non-canon player contrivance, yes, but the other means of resurrection (including the NPC) are not.

This seems to be the most valid counterargument to me, thus far. The tadpole, presumably, has access to your memories and senses, and it could just not leave if it knew you planned on getting revived.

If you go in to the Druide grove and and talk to halsin and inspect the draw corpse you see why droping dead means that the tadpole leaves ,it leaves a huge plot hole.

The Reviv rules are the same for the tad pole as are for human or dwarf that dies at the bridge and yet there tadpoles leave instantly. So should yours!

Ergo,
1. die.
2. wait a little until worm leaves.
3. get reviewed.
4 there you are fixed now.
5. repeat for all companions.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
It is a giant plot hole. But there are so many more. The intro does show the mindflayers picking people at random as hosts yet the random selection leads to a group of survivors as follows:

A vampire spawn
A wizard with explosive shadow magic inside of him
A warlock in pact with a Devil
A shar cleric on a secret mission to steal what likely is an infernal contract
A githyanki

They were capturing people in faerun, not in the wheel

Last edited by ArmouredHedgehog; 16/10/20 12:51 AM.

I sometimes use thought experiments. I don't necessarily believe in every idea I post for discussion on this forum
old hand
old hand
Does the worm actually leave if you die though?

F
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
F
Originally Posted by ArmouredHedgehog
It is a giant plot hole. But there are so many more. The intro does show the mindflayers picking people at random as hosts yet the random selection leads to a group of survivors as follows:

A vampire spawn
A githyanki

Four of those could easily be in Baldur's Gate (one even explicitly lives there) and you & the Githyanki were in the Nautiloid before it attacked Baldur's Gate. A lot of very special people, sure, but the not-special ones were the ones that died in the crash.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
My point was not that such characters could not be found in Faerun. Its simply the frequency of characters with strange conditions, affiliations and artefacts in the gneral population of a given region that makes the party composition strange.

I sometimes use thought experiments. I don't necessarily believe in every idea I post for discussion on this forum
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by ArmouredHedgehog

A vampire spawn
A githyanki

There's also plenty of evidence that they've been capturing and implanting tadpoles for longer than this single raid. The three leaders of the Goblin camp are all infected as well, and they were on the ground to watch the Nautiloid crash and had already established themselves. Not to mention the whole 'Absolute' religion that's tied up in the whole mess has also had at least some time to get up and running. So not all the party members might have been gathered in the same run.

T
stranger
stranger
T
I feel like the amount of control you have over other people's tadpoles, along with several story beats, make it pretty clear the player character and party's tadpoles are not normal. It's also clear that these things aren't operation on auto pilot, someone is pulling the strings. I can totally see this person/deity/whatever just leaving the tadpole in your party because they know you're probably going to revive them at some point. You can't cast revivify on anyone other than party members anyway, so if we're conflating gameplay and story elements, that alone shows there is something special about them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard