Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Macxd Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Whats going on with patching on steam? its been trying to install a 500mb patch for over 45 minutes now?

System specs
Ryzen 5600x
Mobo MSI Tmahawk B450 Max
Ram 16GB DDR4 3200
GPU RX 6700 XT Latest drivers
WD 500 NVMe Pci-e 3.0
Windows 11 all updates installed
addict
addict
My experience is that, *after* the download, the hard drive is working 100% installing the bits and pieces within the game files.

So it does not seem to be a Steam issue, but more about a lot of pieces that are inserted within the game. I am not an expert though, but my SSD was running at 100% for a long while.
Took my computer about 45 minutes also.

At least I did not get the infamous reload the entire game issue.

Macxd Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Well i don't what was going on, because i started looking into it i saw that my 2TB back up drive which has nothing to with game installs on my PC was running at 100% so i closed doen steam and it stopped. started steam again it started to hammer my HHD again. So i said eff it and uninstalled the game and will do a reinstall later.

System specs
Ryzen 5600x
Ram 16GB DDR4 3200
WD 500 NVMe Pci-e 3.0
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Same here. Just adding my voice to the masses. Steam patch stuck perpetually at 91%

A
stranger
stranger
A
Agreed. This patch seems a bit odd. "Time Remaining" download on Steam gets to about 4mins and then cycles up and down, even though all 538.9MBs have reportedly been downloaded.
EDIT1: it finished! In approx 4 mins. Then the game crashed when loading up my main save.
EDIT2: crashed again! let's try a new game / new party see what happens...
EDIT3: ok, so new game (under new profile) starts up. So then patch creating save-game load issues?
EDIT4: yes, new game does indeed work / save / etc. w/out issue.

Last edited by aarontastic; 15/10/20 02:48 AM. Reason: Update
apprentice
apprentice
I think it comes with making the mistake of trying to open the game at all before they fix the most recent patch-- which was rolled back shortly after it was released because it broke approximately a million things. I didn't know they had rolled it back until it was too late, and I was sitting at the end of a 811.11MB install that took a very aggravating 30 minutes to install and then it sat forever at 0 mb/s but SLAMMING my disk usage with Steam saying it's "Unpacking" until I finally said screw it and went to bed.

R
apprentice
apprentice
R
It's going stupid, I've been stuck at 100% for an hour now. Its downloaded to an SSD and I'm on a high end Ryzen 9 (3900XT) system w/ 32 gb ram. No install should take this long, especially an update. Maybe back in the day on my Pentium 57MMX (1998), installing a game via disk, but, this right now is ridiculous. It took less time to download it all than it is to install it, lol.

Last edited by Rhend; 14/10/20 11:03 PM.
N
stranger
stranger
N
Originally Posted by aarontastic
Agreed. This patch seems a bit odd. "Time Remaining" download on Steam gets to about 4mins and then cycles up and down, even though all 538.9MBs have reportedly been downloaded.
EDIT: it finished! In approx 4 mins. Then the game crashed when loading up my main save.

538,9MB?
Steam listed it as 1,8GB to me, but proceeded to download 19,5GB, which for some reason, filled my 70GB of free HD space. I then Uninstalled the game and downloaded it again, only to be stopped 5GB short, 3 times in a row. Seems Steam is doing something to my disk space. A restart and the 70GB free disk space was back and tre last GB of game data could be downloaded. I feel I am unknowingly doing something very wrong, but as I also seem to be the only one with this issue, I can't google my way to a solution frown I wish my update was only 538,9MB, that would maybe just fill the available 70GB of free disk space smile

R
apprentice
apprentice
R
Originally Posted by n00sh
EDIT: it finished! In approx 4 mins. Then the game crashed when loading up my main save.

538,9MB?
Steam listed it as 1,8GB to me, but proceeded to download 19,5GB, which for some reason, filled my 70GB of free HD space. I then Uninstalled the game and downloaded it again, only to be stopped 5GB short, 3 times in a row. Seems Steam is doing something to my disk space. A restart and the 70GB free disk space was back and tre last GB of game data could be downloaded. I feel I am unknowingly doing something very wrong, but as I also seem to be the only one with this issue, I can't google my way to a solution frown I wish my update was only 538,9MB, that would maybe just fill the available 70GB of free disk space smile

My updates did that as well. But mine went 1.8GB, then a 3.9GB, then a 19.5GB update. Lot of space for what seems like an update fixing what amounts to a few bugs.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by n00sh

538,9MB?

Mine is now also doing the 538.9 MB install, but it is once again actually just eating disk space and perpetually stuck at "Updating" with well over half an hour already passed and a "time remaining" count of 27 unmoving, unchanging minutes. I'm miffed about this whole thing because I never opened my game to download the patch in the first place, so I wouldn't have even had to roll back my game version, but Steam torpedoed me into this update cycle anyway.

H
apprentice
apprentice
H
Mine downloaded and took a while, but it does eventually work. It just seems like it's really working for it. Was probably 30-40 minutes for it to finish.

Q
stranger
stranger
Q
Experiencing a similar problem with the update today, game was frozen at about 90% download on Steam. I tried going offline with Steam and restarting my computer which sort of worked, but then it froze at 100%. I just uninstalled and I’m reinstalling now to try and fix the problem.

J
stranger
stranger
J
my update says 100% but it's stuck at 538.87 MB

stranger
stranger
I am getting a similar issue where its extremely slow to patch though I am using GOG not steam. I have a powerful PC and the game is stored on a second Hd which is showing 100% activity but its not affecting the performance of the Pc overall. The BG3 folder is currently showing at 162 GB but I dont know what it was before this patch (still got 1.4 TB free)

Last edited by Jorrack; 15/10/20 12:39 AM.
stranger
stranger
Yeah, I'm having the same issue. Steam downloads the update 538.9mb and then it's stuck on "Unpacking". Gonna leave it for a while.

Macxd Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Yea, i don't if its steam or the patch itself. But i was able to uninstall the game and reinstall in less time it took for the patch to try and update the game. Everything seems fine played for a while afterwards.

System specs
Ryzen 5600x
Ram 16GB DDR4 3200
WD 500 NVMe Pci-e 3.0
stranger
stranger
I had this issue as well but it appears it is using One-Drive for temp storage/ file sharing, Clean out your One-Drive, that's what did the trick for me

Link Copied to Clipboard