E
addict
addict
E
Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by DuskHorseman
Think that's the point, friend.
Yeah, I assume so.
I just wish people would try to do it on their shitty fanfiction blog rather than here.

This made me laugh out loud, thank you.

R
stranger
stranger
R
I love Minthara too! I think it is in large part due to her fantastic voice acting! I was repeating the "oh dear, Sazza" line in my head for days after hearing it! I also just loved her conversation with the Goblin Warboss, the "I'll take something precious from you every hour that passes" also the way it describes a "cold hand caressing your thoughts" c'mon. They were trying to get people to love her, and it worked!

old hand
OP Offline
old hand

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
addict
addict
Originally Posted by etonbears
But ignoring which encounters/paths you actually choose, the game, as it currently plays, actively discourages you from using the tadpole through the camp dreams/cutscenes. That's OK, as most people wil want to play the "good" path; just makes it less obvious how to be "evil" to help the EA process.
I don't think using the tadpole should be presented as evil. Maybe eventually the tadpole takes control and makes you evil, but even if that's the case, the path getting there should be a little more ambiguous. Especially because an evil character would be even more likely to be against the idea of being consumed and transformed into a mind-flayer as this would not be of any personal benefit. Meanwhile, a good character might justify personally sacrificing themselves in order to achieve a noble goal. I think the tadpole offers interesting choices in balancing the personal cost of allowing the tadpole to grow in strength vs the benefits of the power it provides.

Evil choices should be about personal gain at others' expense. For example, helping Minthara and the goblins slaughter the druids because the goblins seem to be better equipped to help cure you of the tadpole.

I also think it'd be interesting to have ethical backfire. For example:

Good version: you find an innocent person accused of murder, but you're forced to lie to protect them and the lie has unexpected negative consequences you have to deal with and you're eventually forced into a decision to confess that you've lied (condemning the innocent to the death penalty or something) or commit further crimes (perhaps even murder) to continue covering it up.

Evil version: you ally yourself with an evil character (eg the goblins?) for personal gain, but it turns out that you're just a patsy and you get robbed (involuntary charity lol). Maybe you try to ally yourself with Minthara as an evil decision but it turns out Minthara can't trust you because you're just too evil for her (she's not a fan of being backstabbed). Or something else goes wrong for you and you get caught and punished somehow.

The harder you try to commit to a particular alignment, the harder the game should challenge and punish you for it. wink

E
addict
addict
E
Originally Posted by RedPandaLuver
I love Minthara too! I think it is in large part due to her fantastic voice acting! I was repeating the "oh dear, Sazza" line in my head for days after hearing it! I also just loved her conversation with the Goblin Warboss, the "I'll take something precious from you every hour that passes" also the way it describes a "cold hand caressing your thoughts" c'mon. They were trying to get people to love her, and it worked!

Didn’t work on me but then again I never had a thing for psychotic murderous women.

veteran
veteran
I don't really care about that character. There are a lot of npcs, I like to see more of, but not Minthara. She is too evil and unbalanced for my taste.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
journeyman
journeyman
I for one like the crazies !

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Necrosian
I for one like the crazies !
Astarion and Minthara have a strong fan base, while Laezel, Gale and even Shadow Heart don't have that close - although they are more popular in terms of player selection.
I think the only reason Minthara doesn't have that much fan art is because she's not a companion at the moment. This thread will have more 100 pages after the full game is released

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by fylimar
I don't really care about that character. There are a lot of npcs, I like to see more of, but not Minthara. She is too evil and unbalanced for my taste.

Actually, if you go by D&D lore, for a woman Drow she is about as balanced as they come.

P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by etonbears
Originally Posted by Soulcatcher30
My concern is that they might not make her a companion because I find it easy to just not side with her, games sort of pushes that.

Yes, this is true. As most people tend to play "good", Larian have pushed you away from the evil path ( i.e. embracing the tadpole ) at every opportunity, presumably to avoid upsetting players accidentally. This was a little counter-productive when they were asking EA to take/test the "evil" path; it took me 4 plays to successfully be "evil" in this game!

Yes but are you sure it is the evil path to not use the tadpole? Some of the narrations really leave that up in there air. Like the narration about you body wants her gone, maybe that is the tadpole that is making you feel that because it fears her/him? When you take things like these dreams, and the use of your psionic abilities as a given, to NOT use them because you THINK it is the evil path, leaves you wide open for a twist. The truth is, we do not know if it is strictly the tadpole in your head trying to corrupt you. It has been stated that they tadpole was not the ordinary tadpole, so the truth is, we have no idea what it's agenda truly is.

Also, there is ALOT of people that like to play Renegade, and sometimes it offers the best story. If you are limiting yourself to just good characters you are cheating yourself.

Last edited by Pandemonica; 20/02/21 04:52 AM.
L
stranger
stranger
L
Originally Posted by Pandemonica

Actually, if you go by D&D lore, for a woman Drow she is about as balanced as they come.
Nah there's been good aligned drow for ages now. Not all of them are lolth aligned psychos. You can even play them in bg3, there's unique dialogue as a result of it.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by LordGiggles

Nah there's been good aligned drow for ages now. Not all of them are lolth aligned psychos. You can even play them in bg3, there's unique dialogue as a result of it.

I agree, not every drow is a Lolth psychopath.

My comment was in another thread, where the thread opener asked, if we would like Minthara as a companion. I would never say anything negative about a character in a fan thread, so soryy, that this is in here now, the threads must have been merged.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by RedPandaLuver

Yes, her cruelty has its own charm and sexuality. The voice acting is great, but some don't like it

Banned
Banned
Any of you tried to betray her at the grove and then knock her out? I doubt it'd do anything, but it'd be a cool little detail, the possibility of taking her prisoner for information.

P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by Innateagle
Any of you tried to betray her at the grove and then knock her out? I doubt it'd do anything, but it'd be a cool little detail, the possibility of taking her prisoner for information.

Yeah I am sure if we took her prisoner, it would be for "information". It is a cool idea though, imagine the chaos she could cause in camp turning us against each other, or trying to trick us in bed to where we have to win like a 18 in a roll to not be assassinated.

Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by Innateagle

Yeah I am sure if we took her prisoner, it would be for "information". It is a cool idea though, imagine the chaos she could cause in camp turning us against each other, or trying to trick us in bed to where we have to win like a 18 in a roll to not be assassinated.

My dude is lawful evil, and torture is honest work. It's the fan club of Minthara so i wanted to be polite about it :p.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Hopefully we might learn something new soon on this matter.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by Roethen
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Originally Posted by Roethen
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I fully support the idea of taking Minthara prisoner on a Good run, but she should be able to get out of the cage and become a companion (optional)
I doubt Minthara would have any interest in joining a group that imprisoned her. She's a Lolth-sworn Drow, and from what we've seen she's an extremely proud personality, and fierce warrior. She would probably rather die in the name of the Absolute like a true zealot than join the campaign at that point.

I will say it might be fun to have her try and persuade us with her illithid power to set her free or join her.

She left Lolth for Absolute because she didn't like Lolth's cruelty and betrayal.
Although, the Absolute makes her do the same. If the Absolute is Lolth, who plays with tadpoles, then Minthara does not know anything about it

Minthara definitely doesn't want to die when she is defeated, and she has no choice because the Absolute will punish for failure and Lolth will punish for defection.

We have the evil Gityanki Laezel in a good party, why not add an evil drow?
She is not as evil as she seems at first glance, and is capable of being quite cute under certain circumstances (like Laezel). Craving for domination and power, pride and arrogance - this is not bad if we are on the same team and no one forces her to betray us, she herself will not do it

This is all true. I didn't realize TheOnlyRealTav's points because I haven't been able to play into Minthara's story without the game completely eating shit, so I know very little about her or her motivations. And indeed, we have an evil vampire and an "evil" cleric of Shar as well, an additional evil companion wouldn't necessarily be inconsistent with Larian's design. I think it's safe to say we can expect to see her as an additional companion. Hopefully Halsin as well.
Hah no worries man, if you have any questions I can even write the exact lines that happen to be spoken in the game and even tell you when they are said. Yes, Halsin being a companion would be an awesome thing. Basically Act 1 that we currently have, seems to center around those 2 characters - Halsin and Minthara.
That is why I think that we should be given a choice to actually spare them and possibly let them join us; even with persuasion required/some time etc. It obviously won't be an easy thing.

Last edited by TheOnlyRealTav; 03/03/21 07:23 AM.
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
No leaks?

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by Soulcatcher30
No leaks?
I think that more information will come, when an "Evil Route" will get it's promised update. That is going to happen some time later in EA.
For now nothing interesting sadly.

Page 22 of 39 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 38 39

Link Copied to Clipboard