Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
In an early interview, Sven stated that Larian's first build for BG 3 adhered closely to the rules of 5e, but they scraped it because Larian didn't find it very 'fun'. Specifically he referenced how often low level characters seemed to miss their target with their attacks.

Even a quick glance at this forum shows how much people want a BG 3 that adheres to the rules of 5e. So why not let us try? If Larian is correct, it won't be very fun and people will finally realize why so many changes to the rules was necessary

or

People will realize how much better balanced combat can be when using the rules of 5e rather than DoS. So can we please try that early build, if only to help show whether or not Larian was correct in deviating from the rules of D&D?

agree, this is product and the people who war e willing to give money for it want a true DnD game not what some "game" designer thinks is fun.

I am in full support of that!!!

If there missing your.mobs are not balanced. I agree I might a more strict rule set

veteran
veteran
That would be interesting indeed- assuming it still exists

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by xMardeRx
agree, this is product and the people who war e willing to give money for it want a true DnD game not what some "game" designer thinks is fun.

Because as we all know, D&D was not written be "game" designers and is therefore a flawless text beyond all reproach that should be worshipped as holy scripture.

addict
addict
Perhaps a toggle like difficulty.

S
S
I'd be down for this.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I should add, I am under the assumption that the enemies were made to 5e rules as well (standard number of attacks, AC, HP, etc. No crazy surfaces or bag of items, etc.). Given that it was likely a proof of concept sort of build (DoS 2 engine but direct 5e stats and rules) I know it will be a lot rougher than what we have now. But why not just test it with the public? See if you had the assumptions correct that it would be viewed as unfun.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I believe this is going to be modded into oblivion by purists later XD.

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Originally Posted by Isaac Springsong
I should add, I am under the assumption that the enemies were made to 5e rules as well (standard number of attacks, AC, HP, etc. No crazy surfaces or bag of items, etc.). Given that it was likely a proof of concept sort of build (DoS 2 engine but direct 5e stats and rules) I know it will be a lot rougher than what we have now. But why not just test it with the public? See if you had the assumptions correct that it would be viewed as unfun.

I'm willing to bet the reason they thought it wouldn't be fun and that the low level characters kept missing is because while the characters were adhered closer to 5e rules as written, the enemies were the same way they are now from the start AKA OP as hell with buffed stats and a ludicrous number of attacks per turn.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by JDCrenton
I believe this is going to be modded into oblivion by purists later XD.

I think there are a handful of things that have been abundantly asked, those may change or toggle options.
But yes if this is like DOS2 but enhanced more, modding will do a lot around this, there will probably be a purists mod that will make this the closest game ever to true 5e and it will probably be done pretty quick if the mod tools are available on release.

Last edited by Horrorscope; 15/10/20 12:56 AM.
veteran
veteran
So can we please try that early build, if only to help show whether or not Larian was correct in deviating from the rules of D&D?

You may not have noticed, but the current build is still fairly glitchy and with a lot of features missing and incomplete. That early build he was talking about was even less polished, less complete, more broken, more buggy, and more unstable.

For those reasons, I do not believe it would be satisfying to play, even if it adhered closer to 5e rules.

I will admit, this would be interesting to test out. Might not be released until after the game is done, but might be interesting...

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Stabbey
So can we please try that early build, if only to help show whether or not Larian was correct in deviating from the rules of D&D?

You may not have noticed, but the current build is still fairly glitchy and with a lot of features missing and incomplete. That early build he was talking about was even less polished, less complete, more broken, more buggy, and more unstable.

For those reasons, I do not believe it would be satisfying to play, even if it adhered closer to 5e rules.

Totally aware it would be a buggy mess. Or, alternatively, it would just be DoS 2 engine with very basic to-hit/damage from 5e.

But my point would still stand. The simple combat mechanics could show whether a closer adherence to 5e rules is what people would prefer, or more loose DoS rules.

veteran
veteran

Totally aware it would be a buggy mess. Or, alternatively, it would just be DoS 2 engine with very basic to-hit/damage from 5e.

But my point would still stand. The simple combat mechanics could show whether a closer adherence to 5e rules is what people would prefer, or more loose DoS rules.

The simplest solution to that would be to try out a closer adherence for a patch and see if that's more fun or if it's too boring. That's what EA is for.

K
stranger
stranger
K
Totally! that would be awesome!! I mean I find it "fun" to play with 5E D&D.

old hand
old hand
It will never happen, why is this a conversation.

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
G
stranger
stranger
G
In BG 1/2 Enhanced Editions (can't remember if it was in the originals too) one of the difficulty options was "Core" which made the game closer to the tabletop rules.

Originally Posted by Orbax

Based on the feedback, it wouldn't be surprising if the game shifts to match closer to 5e, or finding ways to make sticking closer to 5e "less boring".

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Traycor
Originally Posted by Orbax

Based on the feedback, it wouldn't be surprising if the game shifts to match closer to 5e, or finding ways to make sticking closer to 5e "less boring".

Yeah, theyll for sure develop this further. They arent going to go dust off a pre-alpha build thats sitting on a decommissioned QA server and put it out there and try to put more than 0% effort into maintenance, functionality, or responsiveness. Its also proprietary and contains a larger portion of content than the EA, so theyd have to go and try to code out a quarantine for people. Plus, when you do things like that, people pinky swearing or not, they expect whatever is in there to be possible, feasible, and easily implemented if people clamor for it enough. The lack of understanding the general populace has for systems management or development is such an impossibly high barrier that even if they had all of the technical resources to get it out there, public sentiment and A-B comparisons and requests with what would be ultimately nothing but an exercise in deflating peoples hopes with a series of "no"s would stop it just on the PR and community relationship end. There is no, NO, justifiable reason to put a single non-Larian person in that environment.

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard