Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#697864 14/10/20 10:03 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
So which of the five available companions/origins would you like to play?
For me, Wyll and Gale are most interesting as a playable origin, and either one would complement my ideal party of Lae'zel, Shadowheart and Astarion.
Gale makes for an excellent evocation wizard, his own story and even his name highlight is affinity for elemental magic.
Wyll would make an excellent Pact of the Blade Warlock and his quest for redemption is intriguing.

Evil always finds a way.
journeyman
journeyman
I might try them all but TBH I'm more intreasted in playing MY character, not Larian's character

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Yeah, I will do a playthrough for each one, out of curiosity. But mostly I'll be playing my own custom characters, again and again. I prefer to roleplay my own characters with unique backstories that I come up with myself.

old hand
old hand
I would play any of them, but probably Shadowheart first. (Hopefully I can fix her stats.)

stranger
stranger
In all honesty none of them, not out of spite, but more so because I prefer playing custom characters in any game that gives me the option to do so.

W
veteran
veteran
W
I’ll probably play none of them. Their full personal story is available to you if you take them as a companion.

Replaying a 100+ hour game just to replay a quest line I’ve already played through just so that it is now MY story as opposed to one of my companion’s stories seems a bit pointless to me, tbh.

Non as they are boring. I again dont want to be shoehorned and this is not a action shooter looter diablo like pseudo rpg. This a DnD setting real role playing game and I want to experience it my way not what some writer that cant think out of the box and forces this way, his story upon every one. No clapping no praise for bad writing no admiration. Stick to books, as games and more importantly role playing is not a skill set that person has.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by xMardeRx
Non as they are boring. I again dont want to be shoehorned and this is not a action shooter looter diablo like pseudo rpg. This a DnD setting real role playing game and I want to experience it my way not what some writer that cant think out of the box and forces this way, his story upon every one. No clapping no praise for bad writing no admiration. Stick to books, as games and more importantly role playing is not a skill set that person has.

I didn't know we had such an esteemed writing critic among us. To what do we owe this honor?

Originally Posted by Firesnakearies

I didn't know we had such an esteemed writing critic among us. To what do we owe this honor?

Triggered much? Must hit hard and home to get a reaction.

old hand
old hand
[quote=Firesnakearies]

Oh yes. I'm afroth with rage.

addict
addict
The Ignore option on these forums need to work more as a functional block.

Anyhow, Wyll is the most interesting to me. He's somehow both pragmatic yet sentimental, and I want all of the details about what appears to be a succubus guiding his hand.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

stranger
stranger
I doubt I'll play any of them much...if there's some sort of intro story for each then I'd play that, but I prefer to RP my own character.
Seems I'm not alone in this...perhaps there's an opportunity here for Larian to publish a collection of short stories featuring the characters, ending up on the day the flying squid attacked Baldur's Gate?

(In fairness, if there was a dwarf amongst the selection, I'd be a bit more inclined to play that, but there isn't.)

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
[quote=Firesnakearies]

Oh yes. I'm afroth with rage.

Who who whoa, simmer down. No need to just fly off the handle like that. 😂

stranger
stranger
I prefered playing origin characters in Dvinity 2, but I will stick to my own characters in BG3, I have no interest in playing as the companions.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by BrianDavion
I might try them all but TBH I'm more intreasted in playing MY character, not Larian's character

Agreed!

I nod cheerfully at the idea of an "origin character" and then proceed to sort out my own. Can't stand "pre-mades" in general.

veteran
veteran
I'll eventually play the Origins but I hope it's months and months before they become available -- Larian need to do lots of heavy lifting to make my custom character the equal of any of the origins.

How does my custom wizard compare to Gale and his backstory? Answer, she doesn't Gale has the better story and this needs to be fixed. My background should count more and the 5th edition role playing mechanics need to be included. Bond, flaw, etc.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Honestly, just to troll Larian I'd go full lawful good on Astarion, uber goody-two-shoe. 0 tadpole, saving all the peasants and what not. Basically, everything he disapproves of as a companion. devil devil devil

And if Larian let's us edit their classes... well... vampire paladin here we goooooo. laugh

Well, obviously I'd rather Larian focus on the story of our custom characters and ditch the idea of 'origin stories' (it really doesn't belong in a D&D game honestly, might just as well let us play the adventures of Drizzt if that's the case). But what can you do, hence I am really gonna experiment once we get access to origins in EA with what I wrote about Astarion. I hope that'll teach 'em. wink

Last edited by Nicottia; 15/10/20 04:34 PM.
Banned
Banned
I honestly can't imagine playing as any of the current options. They are all pretty awful. I can tolerate having them in my party if we are working toward a common goal, but actually being one of them, no way!

When they introduce some new characters I might change my mind.

enthusiast
enthusiast
none of them, I'd much rather they focused on a custom character and kept the "origin" characters as companions only.

journeyman
journeyman
I will create my own character and use the origin characters as minions.

-Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard