Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#698165 15/10/20 12:02 AM
Joined: Oct 2020
S
Sunfly Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Joined: Oct 2020
Human just isn't that good compared to the other races. I don't know what it's like in 5e, and I get that many people don't pick their race purely for its power, but human just isn't that good in most builds. The extra modifiers you might swing in dump stats going human instead of a +2 race are more of a convenience than a real boon and other races get things like Super Darkvision (incredible for Rogues), Fire Resistance (common damage type), Medium Armor Proficiency (also allows shield use!), or a free cantrip (Want to go Thief but still have Truestrike? Want to summon an invisible godhand for shoving enemies? Can come with regular Darkvision too!).

Joined: Oct 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Oct 2020
Having Darkvision is certainly more useful in this game because of the hide mechanic and dark areas. I have 0.0% incentive to play as human. Gnome Wizard is also gonna have it.

Last edited by JDCrenton; 15/10/20 12:08 AM.
Joined: Jan 2009
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jan 2009
This is the same in 5e as well. That's why just about every single person playing a Human uses the Variant Human rule which, instead of +1 all Abilities, gives +1 to two abilities of your choice, 1 additional skill proficiency of your choice, and 1 feat. The feat takes the Human all the way from lame to borderline overpowered - depending on the feat.

The Boring Human Problem happens because we come from a world populated entirely of Boring Humans and in a world of fantasy races with non-human neat stuff, we don't know a good way to give humans neat stuff that real life humans don't have.

Last edited by Stabbey; 15/10/20 12:17 AM. Reason: typo
Joined: Oct 2020
S
stranger
Offline
stranger
S
Joined: Oct 2020
I'd Say that the classes we have right now don't leverage a broad enough range of stats for human to be worth while but a bard could likely get a lot done with 14 in 5 stats and 11 in 1. That aside though it would also feel better when rolling your stats too.

Joined: Oct 2020
S
Sunfly Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Stabbey
This is the same in 5e as well. That's why just about every single person playing a Human uses the Variant Human rule which, instead of +1 all Abilities, gives +1 to two abilities of your choice, 1 additional skill proficiency of your choice, and 1 feat. The feat takes the Human all the way from lame to borderline overpowered - depending on the feat.

The Boring Human Problem happens because we come from a world populated entirely of Boring Humans and in a world of fantasy races with non-human neat stuff, we don't know a good way to give humans neat stuff that real life humans don't have.


I think part of the challenge is that in these sorts of games 'boring' can often be very powerful mechanically. I played 3.5e and even regular humans (there were subraces) were incredible because they got a free feat at level one (free skill too but that wasn't the showstopper). So an ideal design goal imo would be something between "sidegrade to everything" and "small convenience".

Joined: Oct 2020
S
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
S
Joined: Oct 2020
They get way more stats man. Just mathematically. They’re not going to get special abilities too

Joined: Oct 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Oct 2020
You can get that extra Oomph! that your murderhobo human verily needs from piling up mountains of bottles/barrels.

Joined: Oct 2020
stranger
Offline
stranger
Joined: Oct 2020
They definitely need to add Variant Human. Those +1s to all ability score does not help them.

I'm hoping Larian is just testing base human to see how they perform and how people use them before testing variant human.

Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Oregon, WA
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Oregon, WA
Humans aren't that bad.

I think people haven't had a chance to get a grip on some of the game mechanics. I know one of my friends was going on about how good Darkvision was, and then I showed him you could fire dip your bow and then shoot all of the hanging braziers around the chapel and just light up the room before the encounter starts.

Not to mention turning on candles, lighting torches, ect.

Humans get twice the stats as anyone else, and as such can dump and redistribute those stats to get very valuable third priority stats.

A good example is a Light Cleric who wants to go STR weapons, needs some CON and WIS, but can still achieve a respectable DEX for AC (Really good with Light Domain Reaction) and more importantly initiative which can really make a huge difference in encounters.

The next time you fight a particularly difficult encounter reload and initiate combat a few times until majority of your party throws out some good initiative rolls and see for yourself how much easier the encounter becomes.


As a free action, can I regret my life choices
Joined: Oct 2020
T
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
T
Joined: Oct 2020
Variant rules should be enough.

Joined: Oct 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Tomoya
Humans aren't that bad.

I think people haven't had a chance to get a grip on some of the game mechanics. I know one of my friends was going on about how good Darkvision was, and then I showed him you could fire dip your bow and then shoot all of the hanging braziers around the chapel and just light up the room before the encounter starts.

Not to mention turning on candles, lighting torches, ect.

Humans get twice the stats as anyone else, and as such can dump and redistribute those stats to get very valuable third priority stats.

A good example is a Light Cleric who wants to go STR weapons, needs some CON and WIS, but can still achieve a respectable DEX for AC (Really good with Light Domain Reaction) and more importantly initiative which can really make a huge difference in encounters.

The next time you fight a particularly difficult encounter reload and initiate combat a few times until majority of your party throws out some good initiative rolls and see for yourself how much easier the encounter becomes.


Yep, their main feature is supposed to be flexibility. It's not like you need min-max to beat this circus anyway.

Joined: Sep 2017
member
Offline
member
Joined: Sep 2017
Originally Posted by Harkmagic
They definitely need to add Variant Human. Those +1s to all ability score does not help them.

I'm hoping Larian is just testing base human to see how they perform and how people use them before testing variant human.


Here's to hoping they add variant human once they get all or most of the feats in.


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5