Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
I've done some searching around to see if this is a known issue or not and I haven't yet seen it mentioned, and if it has been, I missed it, and I apologize.

I'm having an incredibly annoying experience with ranged weapon attacks, specifically the shortbow. I noticed it was odd in my first attempted playthrough when I was a rogue. I looked it up then and people have been saying sneak attack is super bugged, so I decided to reroll and picked a ranger this time. Problem is, the issue is still happening. Every time I hit any creature with my shortbow attacks, they deal exactly either 3 or 4 damage. Thing is, 3 damage shouldn't even be possible considering my dex mod is +3 just by itself. So the damage MINIMUM is 4 from being 1d6+3. However, I roll 3s about half the time, and 4s the other half. And it isn't just my ranger either, it's also the fighter with her shortbow. Always 3 or 4 damage exactly, even when she scored a critical hit once! I tested this over 20 times, and every single ranged attack with the starting shortbows were 3 or 4 damage.

Is it just me having this problem? I legitimately couldn't find a single other mention of this outside of people complaining about how sneak attack damage works, and this issue seems unrelated.

journeyman
journeyman
I have absolutely no idea how damage is being calculated. The game could really use a combat log. A lot of the time when I shoot with my bow, I see TWO damage numbers! Why? I have no idea!

journeyman
journeyman
Thanks a lot, my first playthrough was with a ra nger and I thought it was just bad luck that she never made any damage and always hit 3 (my weapon was only +1 and I do not know what else I had). thats why, in the end, I didnt play ranged but close combat with a hunter...

M
stranger
stranger
M
I'm also a ranger, I did not notice this.
But I upgraded my shortbow to a longbow as soon as I could. I was frustrated with the low damage output at levels 1-2,
Now with the longbow I often hit for 10 or more damage on a shot.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by mesmerizedish
I have absolutely no idea how damage is being calculated. The game could really use a combat log. A lot of the time when I shoot with my bow, I see TWO damage numbers! Why? I have no idea!

If you click on the inconspicuous tab in the lower-right corner above your hotbars, you can open up a log of actions and dice rolls.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
The imps at the beginning have resistance to physical damage types. That means that the 6 you are hitting for is halved into 3. If you made it off the boat and you're still having an issue than it may be bugged.

stranger
stranger
I thought the same on some creatures but as Evandir says some creatures have damage resistance which I believe is rounded down. Imps are the 1st you meet but not the only creatures and some spells can grant resistance too for caster types.

T
Tao Offline
stranger
stranger
T
Originally Posted by mesmerizedish

There is a combat log. Check out you lower right part of the screen. It is hidden by default and you have to expand it. Check it for exact damage calculations and if your target has any damage resistance.

Y
stranger
stranger
Y
I don't think it's just ranged... Weapon damage seems super inconsistent on all weapons I've used. It goes over and under the min and max of what I thought determines damage; damage die + relevant ability modifier... I suppose there must be some resistances or other things in play... I have no experience with 5th edition and other editions mostly just from computer games... Armor is just AC that determines hits right?

Last edited by YelloB; 15/10/20 12:36 PM.
M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by YelloB
I don't think it's just ranged... Weapon damage seems super inconsistent on all weapons I've used. It goes over and under the min and max of what I thought determines damage; damage die + relevant ability modifier... I suppose there must be some resistances or other things in play... I have no experience with 5th edition and other editions mostly just from computer games... Armor is just AC that determines hits right?

The damage isn;t really that erratic or bugged when you think of it.
The damage model is based on 5e in which your damageoutput can fluctuate. A lot. Much more than traditional RPG's
Also in 5e it's very 'visible' what influences damages as you have a very transparent overview of what you're fixed minimum and maximum damage should be and how much dmaage you do.
However in BG3 you, as a player see, a lot of data which normally only would be visible to the DM, such as resistance, enemy HP, buffs etc.
In 5e you would do 12 points of damage to a monster, but you will most likely not know how much damage you actually did to a monster i.e.how much HP you've removed from a monster because only the DM knows that kind of info.
In BG3 you mainly see how much HP you;ve removed from a monster.

If your min damage on an attack is 6 and max damage is 12, that doesn't mean you can never hit lower than 6 or higher than 12 or that you always should hit 9 on average. Looking at buffs, debuffs resistances or weaknesses your damage output can be anywhere from 1 to 24 in that instance.

AC indeed determines wether you hit or not, which in BG3 is expressed as an percentage, based on Advantage, disadvantage and situational/environmental factors.
In D&D the chance to hit is based on a D20 and a fixed modifier based on either Strenght or Dex, depending on the weapon type and proficiency bonus.
Technically in D&D environment also plays a bg role, but it depends wholly on the DM how this is accounted for in terms of bonus or penalty.

R
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
So, it seems like there is some kind of weird bug. I haven't tried another weapon yet, still kinda studying this weird crap I'm dealing with using the shortbows. So as people have mentioned, the imps have resistance to physical damage, yes. However, playing beyond the intro section, my damage range is still somehow limited to only two results with the shortbows. It went up to 6 or 7, rather than 3 or 4. While it's nice to see improvement, I'm still concerned that the numbers only stay in those two results. The range of damage should be 4-9, but it's like I get ONLY the averages with both my ranger and fighter.

On that note, I should specify that only the ranger's damage went up. The fighter still hits for either 3 or 4 damage, every time. I imagine it's related to their ability modifiers somehow? Ranger has a +3 dex mod, fighter has a +1 dex mod. That's the only thing I can think of... But yes, still bugged. I'll have to try and get a longbow and see if the bug continues. I'll update again when I do.

Last edited by redlightnin707; 15/10/20 07:19 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard