Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2017
N
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
N
Joined: Sep 2017
I prepared Cure Wounds by clicking on the spell in a 2nd level slot and it disabled Cure Wounds in the 1st level slot.

Casters should simply prepare spells without regard to slots. Cure Wounds, if prepared, should be available from 1st level slots and any higher slot.

A more straightforward UI would just have a list of know spells from which the player indicates which are prepared. Slots are irrelevant for preparation.

The same UI should also indicate spells that are always prepared (i.e. due to subclass) separately so the player understands why those don't need to be prepared.

The existing UI is confusing even for someone who knows 5e.




Joined: Mar 2020
Location: Quebec
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Mar 2020
Location: Quebec
+1

Example : Domain spells could be on a separate row of the said spellbook UI.
I am certain they are working on this. To be followed.

Joined: Oct 2020
T
stranger
Offline
stranger
T
Joined: Oct 2020
This seems to be how it works to me. If I prepare cure wounds on my wizard, I can cast it as first or second level.

Joined: Sep 2017
N
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
N
Joined: Sep 2017
Originally Posted by Triddle
This seems to be how it works to me. If I prepare cure wounds on my wizard, I can cast it as first or second level.

Understood, but I suspect you clicked the 1st level Cure Wounds. That works fine.

But, the UI will allow you to prepare it by clicking the 2nd level slot. That removes it from the 1st level slot. But, more to the point, makes no sense in terms of how spells are prepared.




Joined: Oct 2020
K
stranger
Offline
stranger
K
Joined: Oct 2020
They've done it for Create Water being available at higher levels so is likely on the list

Joined: Oct 2020
stranger
Offline
stranger
Joined: Oct 2020
I can have Cure wounds down twice (one Cure Wounds and the other has a II next to it showing 2nd level) and I just add them both to my bar.

Joined: Jun 2014
member
Offline
member
Joined: Jun 2014
The way Larian have it currently working is this:

Spells which have an upcast capacity appear in every spell level. If you have memorized it at 1st level a cure wounds will show up at 2nd/3rd etc.

Spells which are upcast versions have the roman numerals in the bottom right corner to denote this. So Cure wounds at 2nd level is the same as 1st, but has roman numerals showing on it. Prayer of Healing, only available from 2nd, shows up without them.

If you went to learn cure wounds 2nd level after having already learned it at 1st, you are turning it off for both because it's the same spell and linked correctly.
I don't disagree that it is confusing, but once you learn it it's very straightforward - just look for the roman numerals (the I II III IV etc) on the icon to realise that is a 'free' button, since the spell still only counts as being 1 memorization for the 2 buttons).

Joined: Oct 2020
stranger
Offline
stranger
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by NinthPlane
I prepared Cure Wounds by clicking on the spell in a 2nd level slot and it disabled Cure Wounds in the 1st level slot.

Casters should simply prepare spells without regard to slots. Cure Wounds, if prepared, should be available from 1st level slots and any higher slot.

A more straightforward UI would just have a list of know spells from which the player indicates which are prepared. Slots are irrelevant for preparation.

The same UI should also indicate spells that are always prepared (i.e. due to subclass) separately so the player understands why those don't need to be prepared.

The existing UI is confusing even for someone who knows 5e.





+1

The way it is done now brings me not so good memories about preparing spells in 3.5, when you had to choose how many casts of one spell did you wanted. When you select a spell, you should be able to choose in which level do you want to cast it. Maybe just clicking one of the rectangles that displays your number of slots, to select the level, and then select the spell.

And the tool bar for spells and abilities feels really tiny. Having to cycle between different ones is not something that I find enjoyable.

Originally Posted by Dmnqwk
The way Larian have it currently working is this:

Spells which have an upcast capacity appear in every spell level. If you have memorized it at 1st level a cure wounds will show up at 2nd/3rd etc.

Spells which are upcast versions have the roman numerals in the bottom right corner to denote this. So Cure wounds at 2nd level is the same as 1st, but has roman numerals showing on it. Prayer of Healing, only available from 2nd, shows up without them.

If you went to learn cure wounds 2nd level after having already learned it at 1st, you are turning it off for both because it's the same spell and linked correctly.
I don't disagree that it is confusing, but once you learn it it's very straightforward - just look for the roman numerals (the I II III IV etc) on the icon to realise that is a 'free' button, since the spell still only counts as being 1 memorization for the 2 buttons).


The problem here arise in that, if I'm not mistaken, that 2nd level Cure Wounds still counts against the number of spells you can prepare. That way, you are limiting your spell selection just to have Cure Wounds at both first and second level, taking two slots when it should only take one. Maybe I'm mistaken, didn't messed a lot with it. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.


If nobody came from the future to stop you, then it's not a bad decision.
Joined: Oct 2020
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by ReualNathan

The problem here arise in that, if I'm not mistaken, that 2nd level Cure Wounds still counts against the number of spells you can prepare. That way, you are limiting your spell selection just to have Cure Wounds at both first and second level, taking two slots when it should only take one. Maybe I'm mistaken, didn't messed a lot with it. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.
That shouldn't be happening. Spells are prepared individually. As the PHB states:
Originally Posted by Player's Handbook
You prepare the list of wizard spells that are available for you to cast. To do so, choose a number of wizard spells from your spellbook equal to your Intelligence modifier + your wizard level (minimum of one spell). The spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots.

So Cure Wounds would be only one prepared spell. Otherwise no one would take Burning Hands once they reached level 12 or so.


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5