Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Frumpkis
Originally Posted by Ocece
Does anyone else believe we might get one companion per class, so 12 total? That would be perfect.

If the first post in this thread is accurate, we'll have 8 total.

If the other news that our party will be locked after Act 1 is true, I'm still wondering how they'll manage to introduce even 8 companions in Act 1, with enough time for us to try them out and see who to commit to. Maybe it will work. I'll probably be choosing the party based more on class than personality anyway.

The OP assumes that if it's not available to be datamined right now, it's not in the game. Larian has specifically said there writers each got a companion, except one writer who got 2.

There will be more companions then what the OP has found. Larian aren't fools they know they will need to include at least one, possibly more good female hotties because of who the majority of their audience wants. I'm betting on a Choatic Good Seldarine Drow female, perhaps a Paladin, to buck the "stereotype" of Drow females.

I think the female Tiefling being a Druid could be interesting.

Halia will likely be good too, perhaps a Good Cleric Selune, good Lycanthropes tend to flock to her church, and she'd act as a counter weight to Shadowheart.

Minsc Ranger, possibly Barbarian.

I'm hoping they do Aasimar for a female companion.

apprentice
apprentice
Awesome, but so sad, need more people on party
quick question: Undead race playable? (maybe relase game)

R
stranger
stranger
R
Astarion is undead ,you can play as his origin story. Larian decision to lock party after 1 act is idiotic(its stated in Q&A,can be accesed https://larian.com/support/faqs/story-and-lore-information_56 here-help section of launcher ). We only get evilish npc for now, so i expect atleast 5 good ones, and hope for more-especially neutral characters(and dwarf ladies !!!). Only other change should be 6 people party, can't understand why anyone would want to play Baldur's Gate with max 4 party.

T
stranger
stranger
T
I think the current squad fits the story very well. There is nothing "ordinary" about any of them. So it seems none of the existing companions were simply scooped up like the commoners in Baldur's Gate were - the PC and existing companions were scouted and "collected" by something (the Absolute? An Elder Brain? A Deity?) A "normal" companion would run counter to the narrative Larian is trying to tell. I suspect that all future companions will have similar odd conditions - indications that a power is trying to use them for something. Not so sure about whether Minsc fits into that category, but the rest, including the non-recrutiable tiefling, seem to fit into the narrative that none of the companions are normal heroes just awaiting a chance to join and fight for your goals..

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by TonyKW18
I think the current squad fits the story very well. There is nothing "ordinary" about any of them. So it seems none of the existing companions were simply scooped up like the commoners in Baldur's Gate were - the PC and existing companions were scouted and "collected" by something (the Absolute? An Elder Brain? A Deity?) A "normal" companion would run counter to the narrative Larian is trying to tell. I suspect that all future companions will have similar odd conditions - indications that a power is trying to use them for something. Not so sure about whether Minsc fits into that category, but the rest, including the non-recrutiable tiefling, seem to fit into the narrative that none of the companions are normal heroes just awaiting a chance to join and fight for your goals..

That's a really nice and interesting way to look at it. and about minsc, we talked about it somewhere here, but I think the fact he doesn't fit combined with his personality have a lot of comedic potential. And I don't need much from minsc other than being comically awesome. And I really hoping the other companions will be constantly sarcastic towards him and he will constantly take them seriously.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
W
veteran
veteran
W
Minsc and Wyll together is something I am looking forward to. I can’t express how excited I am for a true paragon of righteousness to meet that pretender.

apprentice
apprentice
I just want to say that Larian really needs to expand the party size to five, because if Minsc is a companion, he will never not be in my party, balance be damned.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Kavonde
I just want to say that Larian really needs to expand the party size to five, because if Minsc is a companion, he will never not be in my party, balance be damned.

I became the mods provider of this forum lately lol. In short, even now it's already very possible to have a party of six.
https://i.imgur.com/j9k8XqK.jpg

Last edited by Abits; 18/10/20 12:03 AM.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by Omegaphallic
Originally Posted by Frumpkis
Originally Posted by Ocece
Does anyone else believe we might get one companion per class, so 12 total? That would be perfect.

If the first post in this thread is accurate, we'll have 8 total.

If the other news that our party will be locked after Act 1 is true, I'm still wondering how they'll manage to introduce even 8 companions in Act 1, with enough time for us to try them out and see who to commit to. Maybe it will work. I'll probably be choosing the party based more on class than personality anyway.

The OP assumes that if it's not available to be datamined right now, it's not in the game. Larian has specifically said there writers each got a companion, except one writer who got 2.

There will be more companions then what the OP has found. Larian aren't fools they know they will need to include at least one, possibly more good female hotties because of who the majority of their audience wants. I'm betting on a Choatic Good Seldarine Drow female, perhaps a Paladin, to buck the "stereotype" of Drow females.

I think the female Tiefling being a Druid could be interesting.

Halia will likely be good too, perhaps a Good Cleric Selune, good Lycanthropes tend to flock to her church, and she'd act as a counter weight to Shadowheart.

Minsc Ranger, possibly Barbarian.

I'm hoping they do Aasimar for a female companion.

Well it is certainly true that at least one writer got two companions. Kevin Van Ord stated as much when he was streaming on Twitch. He writes Lae'zel and Wyll. I don't know how many writers they have and I haven't seen anything that said each writer got one. I've seen many people say it but haven't found it myself. I believe they will shoot for 8 and add more in if time/resources allow. One would think that with a million sold in EA resources would not be something in short supply, but if all my years of management have taught me anything it's that there is never enough time and resources. It's all about managing what you have in the time you have.

Hawke Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
There are clearly 8 Origins in the game that are pretty far progressed in development + others have found 3 being mentioned once but with no additional data, so I guess this might be included or not.
and here https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/jd1qsq/highlights_from_kevin_vanords_stream/ we get the confirmation that there will be 8 companions just like I said.

Last edited by Hawke; 18/10/20 08:51 PM.
Originally Posted by Hawke
There are clearly 8 Origins in the game that are pretty far progressed in development + others have found 3 being mentioned once but with no additional data, so I guess this might be included or not.
and here https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/jd1qsq/highlights_from_kevin_vanords_stream/ we get the confirmation that there will be 8 companions just like I said.

Well that would be massively disappointing if there's only 8 (especially with what we know of the 8). Though the link does say 8, maybe more. It also says more than DoS2 and less than BG2, which is basically anymore between 7-17 companions.

veteran
Online Sad
veteran
Originally Posted by Hawke

The reddit comments fit with what I've been saying as well. And for me, they are somewhat disappointing, especially the high likelihood we will be party-locked after Act 1.

veteran
veteran
8 would be a huge disappointment. I want to be able to put together an entirely good party and that doesn't seem possible with 8 that are mentioned. And this is just PR nonsense:

They plan to have eight companions, possibly more, and potentially including companions that won't be origin characters There will be more companions than DoS2 but possibly less than BG2. Part of the "less than BG2" bit is because they want all the companions to have fleshed out stories

Minsc is not going to become any more fleshed out than he was in BG2 -- he's a big, dumb good natured one line factory who looks to others for guidance. He a good friend, someone you know he always has your back. If you flesh him out too much you ruin him.

The Jaheria romance had a wall of text and a number of quests that only happened if she was in your party -- the idea that the BG2 characters were as shallow as the DOS2 characters is nonsense.

Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
Minsc is not going to become any more fleshed out than he was in BG2 -- he's a big, dumb good natured one line factory who looks to others for guidance. He a good friend, someone you know he always has your back. If you flesh him out too much you ruin him.

If Minsc is actually in the game, I hope he's not a playable Origin character, because the main story seems to be based on whether the MC chooses a dark or light path with the tadpole.

That's not Minc's personality at all. I would use him in a heartbeat as a companion, but not like that.

veteran
veteran
Agreed. There is nothing deep going on in Minsc's mind other than "how do I better kick the butt of evil" and "does boo want another cracker". No need to flesh that out.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Fleshing our Minsc’s personality is not the same thing as writing a fleshed out origin narrative for him.

veteran
Online Sad
veteran
8 would be a huge disappointment. I want to be able to put together an entirely good party and that doesn't seem possible with 8 that are mentioned.

Yeah I am 100% in agreement with you on this. Extremely disappointing for me too for exactly the same reason. I don't see how I could put together a *balanced* (in terms of the distribution of classes) party with just good-oriented companions drawing from the eight likely candidates.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Kavonde

Agree, or 6, mods its nice, but want to more "officially" smile

S
stranger
stranger
S
8 would be a huge disappointment. I want to be able to put together an entirely good party and that doesn't seem possible with 8 that are mentioned. And this is just PR nonsense:

They plan to have eight companions, possibly more, and potentially including companions that won't be origin characters There will be more companions than DoS2 but possibly less than BG2. Part of the "less than BG2" bit is because they want all the companions to have fleshed out stories

The Jaheria romance had a wall of text and a number of quests that only happened if she was in your party -- the idea that the BG2 characters were as shallow as the DOS2 characters is nonsense.

Agreed. I contend, that to this day, Jaheira still has one of the best told romances in gaming.

Last edited by Spideyknight; 19/10/20 04:08 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
I'd like to see Jaheira again even maybe as a companion again in BG3. I liked her in Baldurs Gate 2 and Throne of Bhaal and her romance was just perfect in my opinion.

Last edited by Iszaryn; 19/10/20 06:33 AM.
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard