Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
As this thread was essentially the same as the "Monster Playable Races" thread I have merged them both and changed the thread title.

old hand
old hand
But Sadurian now it looks like I'm a double poster D:

Optimistically Apocalyptic
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by Dexai
But Sadurian now it looks like I'm a double poster D:
I imagine that Larian could arrange counselling should you require it.

wink

old hand
old hand
You should be careful with blanket promises like that, I happen to have a very deep and troubling well of issues I need counselling for!

old hand
old hand
Gobs straight up eat people if I recall, pretty sure it was mentioned in the game. I'd rather shoot for a Kobold playable race.

Last edited by fallenj; 26/01/21 01:02 PM.
I would definitely like a chance to run a bugbear as lead character!

“This year the utopian candy shell has melted away to expose a hard center of bizarre reality.”
R
apprentice
apprentice
R
Remove humans? Why would you want to remove the most interesting race?

Originally Posted by RatPackGamer
Definitely interested in playing the goblinoids!
Several other monster races as well.

Originally Posted by DiDiDi
Originally Posted by Scribe
Goblins already have models, so I would think they could be implemented pretty quick.
No, not in an immersive and believable way. You would have to change most dialogues, many quests (tieflings not letting you in at all...) etc.

Dream on, dreamers. I would be pleasantly surprised if even the non-mainstream races present in PHB are implemented well in this regard (except Drow maybe - fan service and thus money dictates Drow must be handled well).

While I personally think it's unlikely we see goblinoid playable characters I'm going to hard disagree with your assessment here. There are many interesting and creative ways to get around the stigma of a racial choice. Persuasion checks, Disguise Self, Charm Person. Letting other party members take point during certain interactions.

And all of these would require even more changes to dialogue or additional dialogue.

You understand that's part and parcel of game development and this type of game? It's all dialogue trees...This already exists with humans, dwarves, elves, drow...

old hand
old hand
And more races means... more work.

R
apprentice
apprentice
R

Almost as if the game is still in development and they're already planning on adding more races....
Nothing wrong with people saying which races they would want added.

addict
addict
Says the guy with a Kuo-toa as an avatar.

What's interesting about humans?

I'm the only one here suggesting fewer races. Do I get any credit for that? :P

Last edited by Ayvah; 26/01/21 08:55 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Agreed even though I do think that we probably will not get the Yuan-ti pureblood as a playable race there is nothing wrong with talking about races we would like to see in the base game or in a DLC this is a suggestion forum after all

Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
Warlock: Greetings my lord-
Cthulhu: LET ME SLEEP-
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Ayvah

I do find them to be a bit boring but I still think it would be a bad idea to remove Humans from BG3 as a playable race

Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
Warlock: Greetings my lord-
Cthulhu: LET ME SLEEP-
addict
addict
Oh I agree. It would be hard to make a Baldur's Gate game without humans. The lore is already very human-centric. They still suck though. :P

old hand
old hand

Almost as if the game is still in development and they're already planning on adding more races....

I think you need to go back and read the context of our discussion because nobody ever said there was

There's literally nothing more interesting than humans

addict
addict
Hotfix #3 notes.
Originally Posted by Larian
Before the fixes, let’s share something you’ve created yourselves (this is your own fault) through your choices in character creation. We took the most popular choices in character creation, and recreated this. We thought our analytics system wasn’t working! We checked. It is.

[Linked Image from cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com]

Congratulations, you’ve basically made the default Vault Dweller. What the hell guys. We gave you demon eyes, horns, and even tails. We are sorely disappointed. Go crazy. We worked hard on this!
"Interesting" is definitely not the word I would use.

old hand
old hand
Well, that's a shame.

R
apprentice
apprentice
R

I think you need to go back and read the context of our discussion because nobody ever said there was

Respectfully, I re-read it and stand by my statement as there is nothing inherently wrong with it. There's nothing wrong with people saying which races they'd like to see in the game. (And I didn't think you were saying otherwise.)

You made the assertion it would cause more work. Tone can be hard to convey over text but given the context of your previous posts, I read this as you implying more work would be a bad thing. Therefore I felt it acceptable first* to assert the game is still being worked on, then added the assertion that it's ok for people to ask for the races they would like to see.

I imagine if Larian is paying attention to the forums and enough people are asking for specific races, they might find it worth considering putting in the work. Especially, as previously mentioned, since the game is currently in development. (The first point of my post you quoted which you didn't address in your response)

Last edited by RatPackGamer; 27/01/21 04:37 AM.
veteran
veteran

I cant quite agree with humans being anyhow interesting ...
But i totally agree with "why would you want to remove" ... i just replace the rest with word "anything". O_o

I cant find the original post that Dexai was reacting to ... partialy bcs im too lazy to search for it harder.
But i cant imagine why or how would any race get in the way to anyone who dont want to play it, just dont ... problem solved. laugh

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
journeyman
journeyman
I personally think humans are more interesting than the exotic races, because storewise because you can do a lot with them. And if you make an interesting character from humble/basic beginnings, it feels more rewarding to me. It puts an emphasis on the character's story and development, as well as their development. Most of the time with exotic races, they feel like a crutch for writing, to make them seem special and awesome while without the exotic race bit, they would be dull and uninteresting. The exotic race is their gimmick/identity.

I do think special races can be interesting, as long as they are special and rare. Tieflings would be a good example, they can be interesting and fun but feel less special when you have an entire camp of them. It suddenly makes them common which defeats the purpose of having a special/rare/exotic race in the first place (while they should be storewise). To make these races work it requires a bit more finesse and effort, which is often lacking with these characters to not make them either a meme or gimmick. A shame, that.

Last edited by TheFoxWhisperer; 27/01/21 10:17 AM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Kou The Mad
What all races were in the tome of foes?
Just the gith subraces and the eladrin subrace for elves. Season-based, interesting eladrin. Not "we're MORE ELFY ELVES!" Eladrin.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard