Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
One year later, still don't see it.
There's nothing "not feminine" about these faces, regardless of how you may feel about the fact that they should be or not.

Joined: Apr 2014
D
stranger
Offline
stranger
D
Joined: Apr 2014
Women have to look Masculine in 2022 or they get Death Threats and cancelled by crazies on Twitter....

Joined: Oct 2020
B
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
B
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost
Originally Posted by dreambled
I don't recall seeing any masculine looking ladies in the character creation.

Look at the bone structure...


[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The heavily pronounced zygomatic bone is a defining masculine feature. Yes, women have it too but not like this. This is just one example.

Nope. That kind of bone structure reminds me a lot of quite feminine actressess.. ...

Joined: Oct 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Leucrotta
Ugh, not another one of these threads. Some people in the video game community have this (frankly unsettling) fixation with labeling any female character who doesn't fit their (incredibly narrow) definition of feminine perfection as 'masculine' or a secret 'male' face. Quite frankly, I find it incredibly sexist and transphobic.

Seriously, that screenshot of a player avatar looks like a model. This is borderline insane.

Honestly if there's anything wrong with the face models, I'd have to say that

(1) too many of them are traditionally attractive-probably a symptom of them being scanned from models IMO. There could be some benefit to getting some more variety I think.

(2) would be that while the gnomes/dwarves/halflings/gith have appropriate faces, the elves really lack any appropriately distinctively 'elven' faces-probably because like the human and half-elf faces (and unlike the gith/dwarves etc) they weren't really tweaked from the scans/built from scratch. You could swap around the human/elf/half-elf faces and half the playerbase probably wouldn't notice IMO (I think there are actually mods that do that already).

But the idea that Larian selected a bunch of 'unacceptably masculine' women for the head scans is absolutely bonkers.


I'm personally convinced these threads are all bait/troll attempts by (pick any of these) virgin, incel, alt-right, gamergate, hostile basement dwellers, 4chan retards, and teenage edgelords who think they're on some "BasEd ReDpiLl CruSaDe" , you know, "DeStroYinG tHa gEnDer IdEoLoGy wItH fAcTs & LoGiC"

Joined: Dec 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Dec 2020
Originally Posted by Mr. C
Yeah, two years in and all the women still look like dudes and all the men look like dudes. 10 will get you 20 that if we were to ask any of the "guys" here that said the women don't look too masculine for pictures of real world women they find attractive I'd bet the jawlines on those women would be strong enough to hold up a bridge.

"10 will get you 20", "ask any of the 'guys' here"

What exactly are you trying to say here?

Joined: Jun 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Jun 2020
Originally Posted by Leucrotta
Ugh, not another one of these threads. Some people in the video game community have this (frankly unsettling) fixation with labeling any female character who doesn't fit their (incredibly narrow) definition of feminine perfection as 'masculine' or a secret 'male' face. Quite frankly, I find it incredibly sexist and transphobic.

Seriously, that screenshot of a player avatar looks like a model. This is borderline insane.

Honestly if there's anything wrong with the face models, I'd have to say that

(1) too many of them are traditionally attractive-probably a symptom of them being scanned from models IMO. There could be some benefit to getting some more variety I think.

(2) would be that while the gnomes/dwarves/halflings/gith have appropriate faces, the elves really lack any appropriately distinctively 'elven' faces-probably because like the human and half-elf faces (and unlike the gith/dwarves etc) they weren't really tweaked from the scans/built from scratch. You could swap around the human/elf/half-elf faces and half the playerbase probably wouldn't notice IMO (I think there are actually mods that do that already).

But the idea that Larian selected a bunch of 'unacceptably masculine' women for the head scans is absolutely bonkers.

Yeah some people should really stop watching hentai and go outside sometimes...

Joined: Jan 2022
F
stranger
Offline
stranger
F
Joined: Jan 2022
[Linked Image from https]


I don’t think Sherry looks masculine, but I would appreciate more face options for sure!

Joined: Jul 2021
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Jul 2021

Joined: Mar 2021
A
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
A
Joined: Mar 2021
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost
Originally Posted by dreambled
I don't recall seeing any masculine looking ladies in the character creation.

Look at the bone structure...


[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The heavily pronounced zygomatic bone is a defining masculine feature. Yes, women have it too but not like this. This is just one example.

Are you Geh? That looks like a woman's face. Even Jordan Peterson would agree with me.

Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Sweden
Dez Offline
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Sweden
The example sure does not seem very masculine to me - but leaving the eye makeup on can be deceiving. Either way - I am always for more variety when it comes to character customization.

It is a fantasy world for goodness sake, if people want their main character to look like "unnatural" Instagram models (be it male or female), then that would still be one of the least "unrealistic" features of the game. Besides, there are plenty of examples of naturally good looking people - trying to push the agenda that men or women have to be "ugly" (which is highly subjective) to be considered "REAL" is just as harmful as vice versa. Not saying that the female models ingame are ugly, because I do not think they are - quite the opposite. :]

Anyways - variety in a fantasy universe is good. Variety in a fantasy universe is what makes it awesome! All my "YES!" to sliders, both for face and body and all my "YES!" to more base-options. More variety to the people! \o/ Live and let live!


Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
Joined: Jul 2021
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Jul 2021
The appeal of appearances as a whole is subjective, but...if you're going to use "attractive"/"beautiful"/"handsome"/"gorgeous"/et cetera, then don't pull a double standard when someone else uses "unattractive"/"homely"/"ugly"/"hideous" and the like. No yin without yang, after all.

Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
I still hope we get option to choose our ears separately for elves and tieflings. frown
There is few quite nice faces for Tieflings i would like to use ... but only one have ears that are not horrible. -_-


In the words of the senior NCO instructor at cadet battalion:
“If you ain’t cheating you ain’t trying. And if you got caught you didn’t try hard enough!”
Joined: Dec 2021
stranger
Offline
stranger
Joined: Dec 2021
Gotta disagree with OP, I think some of the models are almost "kawaii uguu~" levels of feminine, while others have rather sharp features which is very common in real life... The example given looks perfectly within the normal range of femininity/masculinity of women's typical facial features IMO.

Of course I wouldn't say no to more customization though.

For reference, here's an averaged-out white female face, generated from the composite of 64 women's faces:

[Linked Image from uni-regensburg.de]

Source: https://www.uni-regensburg.de/Fakul...ittsgesichter/durchschnittsgesichter.htm

Looks pretty androgynous with the short hair if you ask me. Real women just aren't as feminine on average as most mainstream media would have it, since there's a tendency towards selecting pretty actresses / designing pretty female characters.

Originally Posted by Alealexi
Even Jordan Peterson would agree with me.

LOL'd

Joined: Oct 2020
stranger
Offline
stranger
Joined: Oct 2020
Anime has truly done more harm than good by ruining the discernment of what is and isn't "female" by thinking that female means pointy chins and shovelheads, distorting the perception of shut-ins who don't go outside. The hilarity of all this is the model that was used as an example as """masculine""" which looks hilariously and distinctively feminine.

Last edited by SteamGolem; 30/01/22 06:59 PM.
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Sweden
Dez Offline
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Sweden
Originally Posted by SteamGolem
Anime has truly done more harm than good by ruining the discernment of what is and isn't "female" by thinking that female means pointy chins and shovelheads, distorting the perception of shut-ins who don't go outside. The hilarity of all this is the model that was used as an example as """masculine""" which looks hilariously and distinctively feminine.

Do tell me how anime guys portray irl guys' features more accurately. :'] Video games, anime, cartoons and even actors (as they usually have a lot of more or less subtle makeup to enhance their features along with carefully chosen angles) have never really portrayed neither females nor males realistically. And that is fine. I am 100% certain most people know the difference between fantasy and reality.

Of course there will always be extremes to either side (as in both women who firmly believe irl guys are not as good as fantasy guys, and vice versa) and thus, both genders have fallen equally deeply into the unrealistic expectations trap. If you ever been on a woman's forum on social media, then you'd know what I am talking about because once they get going on their favorite fantasy characters (often movie/serie characters) you'd realize that men and women are EXACTLY the same on the subject. :]

Anyways, that is a bit beyond my main point. Main point is - *MOST* people still find irl people attractive, even those who are pretty normal by regular human standards. Most brains can handle the "Oh wow <insert fictional character here> is amazing - I love him/her!" and still have the biological "Oh wow, look at that beautiful/handsome/cute guy/girl!"-drive when they out and about in the real world, despite irl people looking nothing like video game/movie/serie/anime people.

I mean, this comment section proves the point pretty well. We're all cRPG and fantasy fans to varying degrees here, and while OP stated that he believes the female faces of BG3 are masculine, the vast majority of people here (both female and male) disagrees. :] A lot of people even argues the opposite - that the female characters in BG3 are too pretty! :'D


Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
Joined: Feb 2022
T
stranger
Offline
stranger
T
Joined: Feb 2022
The easy and quick fix is SLIDERS.

This is a tripple A game, so why not sliders?

I don't want to roleplay in a roleplaying game as face 01, 02, or 03. I want my own character.

Then i can make hundreds of characters and keep playing.

Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
Originally Posted by terrasono
The easy and quick fix is SLIDERS.
"Sliders" don't fix shit if a model isn't built in a way that allow for it to be easily morphed/manipulated to begin with.
Not that there was anything to "fix" with these women' faces to begin with. It's just that more variety would be welcomed.

And "triple" has a single P. I don't know why this basic mistake is becoming almost as common as the infamous "rouge" instead of "rogue".

Joined: Jul 2021
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Jul 2021
Originally Posted by terrasono
The easy and quick fix is SLIDERS.

Agreed.

[Linked Image from thecookierookie.com]

Joined: Feb 2022
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Feb 2022
Originally Posted by PrivateRaccoon
But all these threads claiming the women being ugly/not feminine enough is just being mean. These presets are based on real living human beings. And they have feelings too you know!

No they are constructive criticism of a game design choice. Now I know not everyone does, but many if not most people play games to escape reality and play something other than themselves.
This design choice of using real peoples faces rather than what most classic D&D fantasy images look like, is really a poor decision.

Joined: Jul 2021
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Jul 2021
Originally Posted by Clivehusker
Originally Posted by PrivateRaccoon
But all these threads claiming the women being ugly/not feminine enough is just being mean. These presets are based on real living human beings. And they have feelings too you know!

No they are constructive criticism of a game design choice. Now I know not everyone does, but many if not most people play games to escape reality and play something other than themselves.
This design choice of using real peoples faces rather than what most classic D&D fantasy images look like, is really a poor decision.

Yeah...I don't understand the logic of insulting people over their escapism preferences; now, if a real human is genuinely being mistreated, well, that's another story. This is another reason to loathe facial captures as an animation industry standard smile.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5