Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
addict
addict
I feel as though half of OP's issues are a result of the current early access build, and the other half are the result of just not understanding the mechanics.
I believe that a lot of those issues will be worked out as the builds develop, and the other half are the result of a lack of time and experience with the game.

As far as the dice rolls are concerned, I'm kinda with you on that. I'm generally ok with getting less than optimal results, but I don't feel as though getting a terrible result for a specific playthrough's mindset (good or evil run) is particularly fun. Sure, not everything can go our way, but there have been some instances where I feel as though I should have been able to exert slightly more influence or a situation or set of circumstances.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

Originally Posted by Seraphael
It wouldn't be D&D without it.

It's a statement a little excessive.
BG was D&D and they didn't have the roll-dice dialogues stuff.

From my point of view there is a big difference between pen and paper D&D and video game ones.

In a pen and paper D&D, you imagine a story and you try to predict the actions of your players but you can't guess what theyre are going to say. So, to avoid conflict, the GM used dice in order to decide if the words of the palyers are good enough or not.

In a video-game, it's different since the authors write every single line of every single dialogue. So if a writer decide than saying "stop moving you little crap or I'll cut your throat in half like a black friday price" is threatening enough to intimidate an NPC, so it is. The roll have no meaning anymore.
It makes not sense anymore.

It's like if the author of a novel, writing his books, stopped for each dialogues he wrote, rolling a dice to decide where his story should go.

With pen and paper you have this problem, this unknow about what yoru players are going to say.
In a video game, you offer specific answers to the players. It's kind of lame and hypocritical to let a dice roll cause, obviously, if the writer create this sentence it's because they thought it was convincing enough.

I prefer by far the system where your character use his stats to unlock some specifics sentences. It's way more coherent with a video-game (and it wouldn't be good in pen and paper).

But, it's just my point of view.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard