Next Thread
Print Thread
E
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
Suggestion:
When pushing enemies off the map that lead 100% death (ie pushing the spider off the pillar to its death when fighting Kahga amd her druids) should leave a limb or something that allows you to loot those enemies.

Just a thought.

veteran
veteran
No need for convoluted solution.
Just do what a lot of games do and "teleport" its loot in the player inventory if that happens.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
G
stranger
stranger
G
Eh, no?
If you push an enemy into a pit you can't go to, too bad. That's the downside for instakilling it.
If you want to play loot game go diablo

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Although I generally think players should be rewarded for creative play, there are a few encounters that either due to poor AI or questionable level design allow you to one shot a boss by yeeting them off a cliff.

In those cases I say - if you want loot then actually fight the encounter.

Last edited by Eugerome; 16/10/20 04:26 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Gonnar
Eh, no?
If you push an enemy into a pit you can't go to, too bad. That's the downside for instakilling it.

I 100% agree. You you push a character off a cliff hundreds of feet high, that you wouldn't be able to climb down in a tabletop game(as a DM I wouldn't let players do this), then you shouldn't in this game either. Sure it's frustrating on loosing out on the loot and I completely get that, but it's about balance(swings and roundabouts).

Me personally, I wouldn't even mind if this happened in a quest, which then meant I couldn't end/resolve it how I had 'hoped'. If this does happen I think it would be cool if the game can factor this into account and 'close' the quest and make note in the journal as to what happened'.

Love and sausages xx
X
apprentice
apprentice
X
This is actually already the case for specific enemies with specific loot.

throwing auntie ethel into the pit will have her drop both the glowing orbs on the ground next to where she falls in

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
The shove mechanic is overpowered at the moment. Have the cake or eat it. Simplify an encounter by pusing someone down into a rift? No loot for you.

I sometimes use thought experiments. I don't necessarily believe in every idea I post for discussion on this forum
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Gonnar
Eh, no?
If you want to play loot game go diablo

Too bad this "hardcore" attitude is idiotic in a game where an item disappearing from existence can be game-breaking. It's not an expedient necessary to save you from the loss of 5 gold coins, as much as from preventing unintended showstoppers.

Not to mention "pushing and insta-kill" is only ONE of many scenarios where this type of unpredictable issue can present itself (i.e. enemies being blasted in a pitfall by a spell or a barrel exploding or what else).

Last edited by Tuco; 16/10/20 05:56 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
stranger
stranger
You gotta live with the consequences of your actions, that is at the core of DnD. If you push someone off a cliff, or into lava, or whatever, you lose the ability to search them or speak with dead, or anything else. Keep the consequences in mind when you make decisions.

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
If you choose to take an easy kill, by shoving someone off into an inaccessible location feels like you have chosen to give up whatever they are carrying.

If there was a fight, with "Bad AI" which accidentally made loot inaccessible, that would be a design error.
An "Intentional" NPC Action which made their loot inaccessible (Jumps off a cliff to keep you from getting his Thingy) also feels perfectly fine (and massively frustrating).
An "Intentional" PC Action which made their loot inaccessible, was your choice.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
I’m actually against this. Pushing an enemy off a cliff provides and easy way to dispose of them, but well, the cost is you don’t get the loot.

If you want to get the loot, you have to take them out the good old way.

Link Copied to Clipboard