Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hello, everyone.

Roll call for all grammar and punctuation sticklers out there—I know I'm not the only one smile

I figured I'd start a thread where to collect typos or other inconsistencies in the English text so they're all in one place for Larian's convenience (though I must say I haven't really run into many so far.)

Here's one to get the ball rolling:

Missing space before the hyphen

[Linked Image]

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question and he'll look for his own answers."
— Kvothe, The Name Of The Wind
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Sentences after a colon should start with a capital letter if they can stand on their own (such as this one):

[Linked Image]

EDIT: Looks like the above is a matter of preference in American English rather than a strict grammar rule.

Missing verb "are":

[Linked Image]

Last edited by AndreaColombo; 17/10/20 12:31 PM.

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question and he'll look for his own answers."
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by AndreaColombo
Sentences after a colon should start with a capital letter

That's, uh, the first time I heard this rule, actually. In fact I always knew the exact opposite. Never a capital letter after a colon or semicolon.
Not saying you're wrong, since English isn't even my first language, but still... News to me.

EDIT - According to this result after a quick search a capital letter is at most optional even in the case you listed and a mistake in any other scenario.

Here are some quick tips for using colons properly:

When a colon introduces a list of of things, do not capitalize the first word after the colon unless it is a proper noun.
When a colon introduces a phrase or an incomplete sentence that is meant to add information to the sentence before it, do not capitalize the first word after the colon unless it is a proper noun.
When a colon introduces a complete sentence, you may capitalize the first word after the colon according to some style guides. Read on for details.

The article goes on listing a case where according to "APA Style" (whatever that is, I have honestly no idea and I can't be bothered searching) a capital letter may follow a particular type of sentence structure, but the example mentioned sounds more like the misuse of a colon than anything else (a semicolon would be far more fitting there).
The example you reported on the other hand is very different. What follows "Let me guess:" is not a completely new sentence, but something directly in extension of it, as "here comes what I'm guessing".

Last edited by Tuco; 17/10/20 12:33 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
In my native language it is also a rule never to capitalize after a colon, but I was taught to do so in American English if the sentence following the colon could stand on its own when copy-editing.

A Google search also brought me to that same website and I agree this wouldn't really qualify as a mistake; it's more of a style preference.

No need to change all instances in the game if lowercase was chosen and used. I won't report these anymore.

Last edited by AndreaColombo; 17/10/20 12:32 PM.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
EDIT: Looks like the above is a matter of preference in American English rather than a strict grammar rule.

There are a few differences like that which can appear jarring at a glance. Another is punctuation inside quotation marks, where Americans always include trailing punctuation inside the quotes but elsewhere it's only included if it's part of the quote. The subject of dashes, whether - or -- or — should be used and whether or not they need to be padded with spaces, seems to be a particularly gnarly one and seems to be more the preserve of style guides than anything. And then there's the Oxford Comma, something that is totally not at all controversial.

The capital-after-a-colon is new to me though, optional or otherwise.

J'aime le fromage.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Oddly enough, the original Baldur’s Gate did employ capitalization after colons smile The first time I saw it was from an NPC in High Hedge.

Either way, I shall try to be more conservative in my reports. Abiding by American English rules (and employing the Oxford Comma) are a matter of habit and I kind of went on autopilot with that.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Missing period at the end of the sentence:

[Linked Image]

The VO for this line does not say "to me":

[Linked Image]

Item's called a silver necklace but the description proceeds to call it sapphire necklace—so which is it? smile

[Linked Image]

In this book, it appears that the code for italics wasn't closed properly around this point:

[Linked Image]

Additionally, the book appears to have a second page where the exact same paragraph appears, this time with proper formatting:

[Linked Image]

Guess the paragraph should appear just once with the correct formatting.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Not sure whether to call this a typo or grammatical error, but either way, this is from a discussion with the angry Githyanki (sp?) biotch, La'zeal or whatever her name is. This occurs just after finding the the guy dying with his two Acolytes, just before the Owl Bear Cave.

Dialog Screen Shot

The third option of the Dialog response says, "Is this voice is the same we heard aboard the ship?"

Should probably delete that extra "is". I know, that's a pretty minor thing.

Last edited by Deepblue962; 24/10/20 06:23 PM.

Deepblue
W
stranger
stranger
W
Missing space before the hyphen[Linked Image]

Also, hyphens are not desired in a situation like this. Use em dashes instead: https://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/qanda/data/faq/topics/HyphensEnDashesEmDashes/faq0002.html

Link Copied to Clipboard