Next Thread
Print Thread
#701663 16/10/20 05:36 PM
C
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
C
Not going to give any real spoilers here, but I felt like the romance event that can happen with your companions feels a bit rushed. At the point where it happened, I felt like I was just getting to know my companions, and many were still very standoffish with me.

And all of a sudden the game is like “what companion are you going to take to bed?” I feel like the game needs to give you more time to build up a relationship with your companions before this happens.

Thoughts?

F
apprentice
apprentice
F
I think this is just an EA thing. They wanted to test the system they put in place. I'm sure this will be extended when the game is.

S
addict
addict
S
I don't have that much of a problem with romance being technically available at that point, but I think that not every companion should mention it in their dialogue that evening. Only characters with whom you have a good relationship should even bring it up, imo.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
My take on the 'romance' is that it is more of an outpouring carnal lust than a real emotional romance. The characters are, after all, possibly about to die a horrible death (or as good as) and are looking for a bit of good old-fashioned sex to take their minds off it.

The 'hearts and flowers' romance involving dates and long conversations isn't really appropriate to the situation that they find themselves in.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by fkhaller
I think this is just an EA thing. They wanted to test the system they put in place. I'm sure this will be extended when the game is.

I would hope that would be the case.

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
I think it depends on the character. For Asterion and Lae'zel, the relationship kicking off with sex makes sense. For Shadowheart it's merely a kiss and sharing some wine. It depends on the character you choose to romance.

(beware spoilers beneath)

I think there will be some development of the romances, but I don't think "we have sex" is the highpoint of every romance. For Lae'zel it would be to adjust to the entire concept of romantic love. For Astarion it would be the ability to "get over" his past and truly trust someone. Wyll to be free and Gale to actually be able to let go of a past love.

Last edited by Cowoline; 16/10/20 06:00 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
It kinda feels a bit more natural with Gale, since you have 2 scenes that have romantic stuff (to some degree) + and those unlock some new dialogue options, that again, imply romantic feelings. And then you get the camp party scene where he propositions you. So that's that.

Astarion and Lae'zel, as people already pointed out, seem like they'd be into casual sex. Astarion in general is pretty flirty, so it fits.
And Shadowheart only has a kiss, so it's hardly a big deal.

H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
Originally Posted by Creslin321
Not going to give any real spoilers here, but I felt like the romance event that can happen with your companions feels a bit rushed. At the point where it happened, I felt like I was just getting to know my companions, and many were still very standoffish with me.

And all of a sudden the game is like “what companion are you going to take to bed?” I feel like the game needs to give you more time to build up a relationship with your companions before this happens.

Thoughts?

Before the party :

Lae'Zel see me as a monster and want me killed
Gayle is friendly
Will is neutral and distant
Shadowhearth tell me to fuck off and that she can't wait to get me off her back.
Astarion playfully tried to kill me, then bite me, then nonchalantly told me that we obviously didn't belong to the same social circle.

During the party: Everyone wanna bang me.

Yeah, its video game.
And why are every companion bisexual? It wasn't the case in other D&D game. Most character were either attracted to one or the other gender, both was very rare and more like, with beamdog companion, not originals one. I'm totally fine with pansexual character, just, not all of them, or is it the new culture in D&D?

If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by Hachina
And why are every companion bisexual? It wasn't the case in other D&D game. Most character were either attracted to one or the other gender, both was very rare and more like, with beamdog companion, not originals one. I'm totally fine with pansexual character, just, not all of them, or is it the new culture in D&D?

It gives the player more choice, letting you romance the one you choose rather than the one effectively chosen for you.

H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
Originally Posted by Sadurian

It gives the player more choice, letting you romance the one you choose rather than the one effectively chosen for you.

Its a good point; However, I feel its make the character kinda bland and undifferiencated. So basically, you have no good answers to give like for Aerith or Viconia, you just bang anyone you want once you reach the party and that it. No need to understand the character, to align with it, you don't even need to be the right gender, anyone can get them, they are open bars. Doesn't feel realistic, or even interesting from a story standpoint IMHO.

If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt
L
stranger
stranger
L
Originally Posted by Sadurian

Its a good point; However, I feel its make the character kinda bland and undifferiencated. So basically, you have no good answers to give like for Aerith or Viconia, you just bang anyone you want once you reach the party and that it. No need to understand the character, to align with it, you don't even need to be the right gender, anyone can get them, they are open bars. Doesn't feel realistic, or even interesting from a story standpoint IMHO.

I think we just don't see the implications/consequences of who we chose at the party yet because its all still in developpement; I'm pretty sure that if shadowheart can throw a fit just because you talk to lae'zel before her on your first camp, you know that banging someone else is gonna come up eventually. ^^

By the time I got to the romance cutscene in my latest playthrough, I was high approval with Astarion. I think it is fine how it is, you can get approval with your companions very easily.

Also, the companions are standoffish if you chat with them. If you let them be the ones to talk with you, it's a lot better talking with them ^^.

Link Copied to Clipboard