Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Never saw it ingame after more than 10hs , and i mean actual BLOCK.
If they emulate a "block" by showing a "miss" well , lol.Go back to 1980.

journeyman
journeyman
ok, say it with me "this isn't an action game" no one plays RPGs (especially isometric top down ones) for cutting edge graphics and animation

veteran
veteran
sounds like a post for feedback and suggestions

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Ill add it there but i thought one of the most basic things in the universe was ingame , some ppl told me "it is not part of dnd rules" before

enthusiast
enthusiast
Shields add to your Armor Class. Your armor class is a combination of your characters armor, ability to block with a shield, ability to parry with their weapon, and the fact that people don't stand still in a fight.

So if you do not roll high enough to pass someone's AC, your attack fails. The game calls it a 'miss', though it can be due to missing, the enemy dodging, the enemy parrying, or the enemy blocking.
Mechanically, 5E does not differentiate between ANY of that. There's no 'This is your armor AC. Then this is your shield AC. Then this is your AC for moving around. And this one is for parrying'.

So there's no way for the game, or the devs, to decide what's a miss, a dodge, a parry, or a block.

I rather disjointed that you cant attack with your shield. A shield is a by far more offensive weapon and that two handed weapons dont get any protection bonuses. Normally you want to keep enemys as far away from your self as possible, range advantage but hey.

Originally Posted by Eguzky
Shields add to your Armor Class. Your armor class is a combination of your characters armor, ability to block with a shield, ability to parry with their weapon, and the fact that people don't stand still in a fight.

So if you do not roll high enough to pass someone's AC, your attack fails. The game calls it a 'miss', though it can be due to missing, the enemy dodging, the enemy parrying, or the enemy blocking.
Mechanically, 5E does not differentiate between ANY of that. There's no 'This is your armor AC. Then this is your shield AC. Then this is your AC for moving around. And this one is for parrying'.

So there's no way for the game, or the devs, to decide what's a miss, a dodge, a parry, or a block.

btw you dont want to block at all cost with a shield, this leads to broken hand and by far more damage, you deflect blows with a shield and smack it in a enemys armor gap where it really hurts.
They are also great at additional protection from arrows but still you get a lot of holes on your shield arm.

Last edited by xMardeRx; 17/10/20 01:09 AM.
P
P
HP in D&D are very abstract. A "miss" can even mean "sure, you connected, but it didn't really bother them". I think it would be awesome to have animations reflecting different miss possibilities, but I sure wouldn't put it near my priority list!

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by xMardeRx
I rather disjointed that you cant attack with your shield. A shield is a by far more offensive weapon and that two handed weapons dont get any protection bonuses. Normally you want to keep enemys as far away from your self as possible, range advantage but hey.

It can be done: In PF & pf 2e and other games you have the option to block with your shield (albeit they can break it) as a reaction and attack too (It´s usually like two weapon fighting but with your shield as an off-hand weapon or hiting things wielding your shield with both hands using everlasting stance. You even have spiked and magic shields that do more damage) but in 5e the most similar you can get is the shield master feat

http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/feat:shield-master
When you attack you can shove the enemy with your shield and knock him down ( if find it a little annoying that you have to shove after you attack but still a very good maneouver in a game with few combat maneouvers to choose from)

In theory in TT you can use the shield as an improvised weapon to hit the enemy. You do not even lose your benefits to AC.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/11/17/shield-attack/

Jeremy Crawford
@JeremyECrawford
@oscarhocklee Using a shield to make an improvised attack doesn't deprive you of the AC bonus.

@mackenzie884 An improvised weapon is, indeed, a weapon, but only the moment it’s used as such. A chair/shield/etc isn’t a weapon otherwise.

— Jeremy Crawford (@JeremyECrawford) November 17, 2015

And if you pick the "Tavern brawler" feat you are proficient with improvised weapons, like a shield so you can add your proficiency when you attack (and even make a grapple after you attack and then be pure evil, using disarming attack and move them away from their arcane/difine focus or weapon, or maintain them into a bonfire or firewall and those things you can do to enemies)

That said, nothing of this is now in the game, but you can make a legal Captain america character in 5e. Maybe a thing to consider or something worthy of a mod.

You can do other cool things with your shield like protecting allies with the protection fighting style and stuff like that. Nothing like in other rulesets, but still some if you are looking for a sword and board warrior.

Last edited by _Vic_; 17/10/20 04:56 AM.
N
old hand
old hand
N
It doesn't matter much with D&D. But different animations depending on what you are holding would be nice, parry with a two handed weapon, block with a shield, evade if you have a range weapon equipped, and so on.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Even with it just being 2 AC and effectively there would be no mechanical difference between miss and block - I sure would like to see block animations some more there.

L
L

They could put in animations each occurring a percentage of the time based on what percentage of your positive armor class modifier is from armor, dex, and shield respectively.

enthusiast
enthusiast

Well actually, in 5e you could decide what is what. As a DM I do this.

The order of AC is as follows...

Base AC: Always 10
Dex modifier
Armour
Shield.

So as a DM I would maybe do it as follows.

Ifyou roll under 10 - Complete miss
If you roll over base but under dex - they dodge out of way
If you roll over base/dex but under armour - glancing blow(no damage)
If you roll over base/dex/armour but under shield - they block it away with shield
If you roll over total AC thats a hit(with damage)

As a side note, if your DEX modifier is negative then I would just 'reset' their base AC(accordingly) and they don't 'dodge out of the way'

Love and sausages xx
D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Agreed that having a variety of attack and defense animations would be cool, but entirely unnecessary. It's simply not an issue at all (for me anyway). Now, if this game had the appearance of an action RPG things would be different. A great example of employing probability to hit with graphics that contradict the system would be the Elders Scrolls 3: Morrowind. A POV RPG where you time your weapon swing, clearly contacting the enemy, and then nothing happens because your "roll" missed. Bethesda eschewed that system altogether in later ES games. In a turn based 5E RPG, this just simply isn't an issue. But yeah some added animations would be cool.

Last edited by dwheresmymana; 17/10/20 09:58 AM.
Originally Posted by 0Muttley0

Well actually, in 5e you could decide what is what. As a DM I do this.

The order of AC is as follows...

Base AC: Always 10
Dex modifier
Armour
Shield.

So as a DM I would maybe do it as follows.

Ifyou roll under 10 - Complete miss
If you roll over base but under dex - they dodge out of way
If you roll over base/dex but under armour - glancing blow(no damage)
If you roll over base/dex/armour but under shield - they block it away with shield
If you roll over total AC thats a hit(with damage)

As a side note, if your DEX modifier is negative then I would just 'reset' their base AC(accordingly) and they don't 'dodge out of the way'

I actually wouldn't mind seeing animations in BG3 based on this.

D
stranger
stranger
D
I remember playing NWN, pausing and zooming to see those dodges, blocks and parries. Good times.
And then KotOR with beautiful combat animation.
And now we went back to "oldschool" and have to "use our imagination".

I eager to see a new MUD game in 2022.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
a block is a miss on the flesh so ...

old hand
old hand
There is already a shield block animation and sound effect in the game. I've seen it happen a few times. I don't know what exactly triggers it.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
One of the Fighter options in the PnP game is a shield attack. I used it a few times in a game.

As for adding special animations for shield blocking, if it can be done and not affect the frame-rate or AI then fine. However, I'm happy as it is because, as others have said, D&D has never specified which part of the AC it is that prevents an attack from landing. Combat in D&D drags out long enough as it is, I don't want to have to consult another table to see whether it was my armour, DEX, magical protection, Dodge, natural armour, or shield that helped.

addict
addict
My characters don't actually put consumables in their mouths when they're consuming them and should be dead right now.
I've also never seen them relieve themselves, or stop to re-lace their boots when they got loose.
It's 2020. This is an outrage.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard