Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
apprentice
apprentice
I wish to see the resting system reworked. Maybe something like this:
  • You can short rest 3 times per long rest.
  • Conditions to be able to do a long rest (for example, you must be outdoor, no ennemies within [insert range])

Short rest related mechanics will be more reliable, we won't be able to "long rest abuse", the story will progress at a controlled speed, etc....

Last edited by Dapoolp; 09/11/20 11:16 AM.
V
V
Originally Posted by Dapoolp
  • Conditions to be able to do a long rest (for example, you must be outdoor, no ennemies within [insert range])

Short rest related mechanics will be more reliable, we won't be able to "long rest abuse", the story will progress at a controlled speed, etc....

I do not see the abuse though. It is obviously considered a necessitiy by the Devs to constantly rest, since companion and story interaction happens there and several characters are severely disadvantaged when you do not rest before most fights.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by VincentNZ

I do not see the abuse though. It is obviously considered a necessitiy by the Devs to constantly rest, since companion and story interaction happens there and several characters are severely disadvantaged when you do not rest before most fights.

You do not see abuse. Ok. Let me give concrete examples then. I am running a solo wizard campaign. So here is how it goes with infinite long rests:
- Underdark minotaurs: I wait until the second one is the farthest from my target. I kill the one I am targetting with 3 second level spells. I go back to stealth and get out of combat. I long rest, getting back all my spells. Rinse and repeat on the other one.
- Swamp redcaps: I kill the two first ones with all my second level spells. I go back to stealth and leave combat. I long rest, getting back all my spells. Rinse en repeat for the two remaining ones.

In all these instances, the enemies don't even have the leisure to hit me even once. I just obliterate them with a single character.

I hope, by now, you understand what the abuse is. It literally makes all the spellcasters play in god mode basically.

Last edited by Nyanko; 09/11/20 01:40 PM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
I hate how camping is tied so heavily to the narrative and dialogue scenes, and how you can miss a lot of stuff if you don't rest ENOUGH. It seems that Larian really WANTS us to rest after every 1 (or 2 at the most, hence only one short rest) encounter. Which I guess would be fine, if they didn't have a story that suggests that we shouldn't be wasting time.

This exactly. I hardly ever rested on my first run because every step of the way one of companions would remind me “ we don’t have time for this” Not that I needed to be reminded either. It seemed only logical to me that since I have a lit fuse planted in my head I better find that healer fast AF!
I missed so much content and companion stories. Gale literally had like one conversation with me the entire play through. I was scratching my head so hard when I saw Larian’s update that Gale was the most romanced companion. He hardly ever looked in my direction even though my approval was high. Little did I known that you only need to long rest like 187 times to get him talking...I also apparently failed to get him killed to progress his story which brings me to second problem I have with long resting – combat and spell regeneration. What’s the point of difficulty if you can rest after every fight? I’m not an advanced player by any means. I’m more on the average side. I have little experience with D&D and I’d say probably my earlier adventures with Pathfinder Kingmaker is what made transition to this game easier for me but still, I didn’t feel like the long rest was needed that often. Not to mention, having to rest after the smallest of encounters, only to be able to progress the story, will eventually feel more like a chore then what it is supposed to be - a pleasant time in camp. This needs some serious balancing. In the least, important plot points should not be tide to how often you rest.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Nyanko

You do not see abuse. Ok. Let me give concrete examples then. I am running a solo wizard campaign. So here is how it goes with infinite long rests:
- Underdark minotaurs: I wait until the second one is the farthest from my target. I kill the one I am targetting with 3 second level spells. I go back to stealth and get out of combat. I long rest, getting back all my spells. Rinse and repeat on the other one.
- Swamp redcaps: I kill the two first ones with all my second level spells. I go back to stealth and leave combat. I long rest, getting back all my spells. Rinse en repeat for the two remaining ones.

In all these instances, the enemies don't even have the leisure to hit me even once. I just obliterate them with a single character.

I hope, by now, you understand what the abuse is. It literally makes all the spellcasters play in god mode basically.

Absolutely agreed. The extreme permissiveness of rest does not only conflict with the perception of the storyline, it breaks immersion and class/subclass balance. The problem isn't purely a spellcaster vs martial class either. Warlocks are reliant upon getting a certain amount of short rests to be considered balanced against Wizards and Sorcerers who mostly need long rest to regain spells. As that wasn't enough, I believe the Arcane Recovery ability of Wizards is buffed on top of this.

That said, I don't really think Larian is particularly concerned about balance or even immersion, if it conceivably interferes with their idea of "fun". Missing is no fun? No problem, here's easy advantage and roll twice to hit. Here, have a staff with +2-8 spell attack too dear Wizards! Running out of spells is no fun? Here, have a full rest (at a camp hours away) while the enemies next door wait patiently for you to be at your best. It's almost as if Larian hasn't moved past 2e and still thinks spellcasters have to resort to using slings when running out of spells.

Last edited by Seraphael; 09/11/20 02:35 PM.
Tuv Offline
journeyman
journeyman
You cannot be attacked while resting at the moment. Therefore getting rid of exhaustion - which doesn't exist yet - does not add to the game yet.
Usually though it is part of DnD that you have to make due with what you have until your next rest. Without being able to return to a save haven at any time. This is the reason why you have very powerful spellcasters compared to other classes but once their resources are spent, they can do little but use the cantrips or items. Or scrolls, it doesn't look like any spellcaster is going to run out of spells any time soon like this.

Once random encounters are in the game, I'm sure people won't press the camp button while being surrounded by enemies as you won't be able to do so hopefully.
Also people have to consider not completely powering themselves out as an attack could spell doom for the party if the spellcasters are completely out. But this makes it exciting.

I don't think most people will rest for much longer than one week in the EA map, which is still a little long but it makes sense for all the content made available in the EA.

In Baldur's Gate your party is constantly exhausted because of haste but nothing every happens as there was only one level of exhaustion.

V
V

This is not a bug/exploit in the rest system though. It works as intended. It replenishes your spells and skills. The real culprit here is how stealth works in this game. You could technically do the same with whatever ranged option the wizard has right now (crossbows? shortbows? Barrels?). Cantrips would work as well, I suppose. This is precisely how I killed the Phase matriarch. Turn-based, stealth, stealth ranged shot, restealth, end turn, repeat. You could do this in melee as well, as long as you are not in LOS of other enemies, which I tried in the swamp with the mud mephits. Killed two from stealth in melee and one in ranged, before actual combat was initiated. Even if you are in LOS you could pop an Invisibility potion. The abuse/exploit is the stealth mechanic, not replenishing your skills through resting.

veteran
veteran
Long rest is a concept that just doesn't belong in a video game. And don't tell me Baldur's Gate because in Baldur's Gate it's only a little more annoying, nothing actually better.

Last edited by Abits; 09/11/20 02:56 PM.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
V
V
Originally Posted by Abits
Long rest is a concept that just doesn't belong in an RPG. And don't tell me Baldur's Gate because in Baldur's Gate it's only a little more annoying, nothing actually better.

I would simply just have per encounter spells and skills. Makes the game on the whole easier to balance. It is now more of a hassle than in BG2, because it takes you to a new screen, then you need to possibly advance the story, then have to click on a bed and it takes you back to original screen. In BG2 it was just one click to rest, one click to abort the cutscene and you are as good as gold. If you were ambushed by 6 orcs or whatever this fight might also be over faster than BG3 resting. laugh But yeah, the ruleset gave you that obsolete mechanic.

S
addict
addict
S

This is not a bug/exploit in the rest system though. It works as intended. It replenishes your spells and skills. The real culprit here is how stealth works in this game. You could technically do the same with whatever ranged option the wizard has right now (crossbows? shortbows? Barrels?). Cantrips would work as well, I suppose. This is precisely how I killed the Phase matriarch. Turn-based, stealth, stealth ranged shot, restealth, end turn, repeat. You could do this in melee as well, as long as you are not in LOS of other enemies, which I tried in the swamp with the mud mephits. Killed two from stealth in melee and one in ranged, before actual combat was initiated. Even if you are in LOS you could pop an Invisibility potion. The abuse/exploit is the stealth mechanic, not replenishing your skills through resting.

Don't look at that hand (I like my overpowered Wizard)! Look at that hand (I don't care for Rogues/Stealth)! Haha. How transparent some people are. Just because this game has a LOT of issues than allows for game-breaking exploits, it doesn't mean *your* favored exploit gets a free pass/is working as intended. Why would a class ability such as Arcane Recovery exist in the game when you might as well long rest? Why would Larian bother to buff said ability on top of that? This is early access and by its very nature, a whole slew of things are *not* working as intended yet.

Tuv Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Long rest is a concept that just doesn't belong in an RPG. And don't tell me Baldur's Gate because in Baldur's Gate it's only a little more annoying, nothing actually better.

I would simply just have per encounter spells and skills. Makes the game on the whole easier to balance. It is now more of a hassle than in BG2, because it takes you to a new screen, then you need to possibly advance the story, then have to click on a bed and it takes you back to original screen. In BG2 it was just one click to rest, one click to abort the cutscene and you are as good as gold. If you were ambushed by 6 orcs or whatever this fight might also be over faster than BG3 resting. laugh But yeah, the ruleset gave you that obsolete mechanic.

So basically Baldur's Gate didn't use the mechanic at all and what DnD had to offer when the party rests was simply brushed under the rug.

At least BG3 is trying. However, "return to camp" and "take a long rest" don't have to be the same thing and could be used seperately. Make long rest a button like the short rest button.

S
addict
addict
S
Long rest is a concept that just doesn't belong in a video game. And don't tell me Baldur's Gate because in Baldur's Gate it's only a little more annoying, nothing actually better.

If that's not just you being dogmatic, then most of 5e doesn't belong in BG3 as it's made for a very different medium. Guess what? IT WAS IN BALDUR'S GATE. But contrary to what you claim, BG did it well despite the D&D 2e they used was even less of a fit for video games than 5e is.

N
old hand
old hand
N

I do not see the abuse though. It is obviously considered a necessitiy by the Devs to constantly rest, since companion and story interaction happens there and several characters are severely disadvanta

Stealth is not the only problem here, long rest is too. The combination of both makes the game so cheesable it becomes rather ridiculous over being fun and enjoyable.

When you haven't finished a combat sequence properly, like my example with the minotaurs or the redcaps, you should not be able to rest until it is complete. Each battle should be viewed as a task you have to finish as a whole before taking a rest.

V
V
Originally Posted by Tuv

So basically Baldur's Gate didn't use the mechanic at all and what DnD had to offer when the party rests was simply brushed under the rug.

At least BG3 is trying. However, "return to camp" and "take a long rest" don't have to be the same thing and could be used seperately. Make long rest a button like the short rest button.

I see the reasoning to implement the camp as a social hub. Many games have done that before. Mass Effect had the Normandy, Dragon Age had the camp. I also see it in a D&D setting, when in PnP. A place where players come together, talk about what happens next, what has happened and to play out certain situations. I suppose it is also some form of saving in PnP and it does serve as a pacing tool. However in BG3, you do have to rest a lot, simply for narrative reasons, so you do not miss interactions with companions that might have relevant info, or you might even need to rest to advance the story. When you are in the middle of the dungeon and suddenly move out into the same camp area you've always been in, this is not helping immersion or atmosphere.

At the same time it is a gameplay necessity, because fights are challenging and you need to make use of resources. The more resources you have, the easier it is. This means that player experience is very inconsistent, as is difficulty. Also some companions, like Shadowheart, are very dependent on the availability of their skills and are somewhere on the range of being invaluable or worthless.

Hence BG2 did it better, resting was just a simple click so you can immediately replenish stuff, and story elements were played out only rarely with resting and the rest happened in the game world. So you were not taken out of the immersion, you simply camped, it was only slightly impeding gameplay, too, since resting was generally fast and available. At the same time, the mechanic was there, so it adhered to rules.

V
V

I do not see the abuse though. It is obviously considered a necessitiy by the Devs to constantly rest, since companion and story interaction happens there and several characters are severely disadvanta

Stealth is not the only problem here, long rest is too. The combination of both makes the game so cheesable it becomes rather ridiculous over being fun and enjoyable.

When you haven't finished a combat sequence properly, like my example with the minotaurs or the redcaps, you should not be able to rest until it is complete. Each battle should be viewed as a task you have to finish as a whole before taking a rest.

Oh, yeah, I can agree with that, I would like fights to be consistent. So you aggro this particular set of enemies, regardless of the approach. Auto-save upon the fight so you can always decide to go back and rest if your available resources are not enough. It could clash though with the encounters, though. The Matriarch fight, for example, rather banks on you taking out the eggs, before initiating combat, as these are up to 15 (18?) additional opponents.
The examples however are still not logically consistent, resting in between mobs helps if you want to employ a certain tactic (like grease followed up with a firebolt, or similar synergies) or if you want to use higher damage skills that have a limited amount of uses. The sickness is how stealth and initiating combat works in conjunction especially with a ranged component. What symptoms that sickness has is up to you, really. You can use the rogue with stealth attacks, a cleric with a ranged cantrip or high damage level 2 spells (with resting in between), or you can use Lae'Zel with a shortbow and a low chance to hit. Any fight will eventually be done.

N
old hand
old hand
N

Oh, yeah, I can agree with that, I would like fights to be consistent. So you aggro this particular set of enemies, regardless of the approach. Auto-save upon the fight so you can always decide to go back and rest if your available resources are not enough. It could clash though with the encounters, though. The Matriarch fight, for example, rather banks on you taking out the eggs, before initiating combat, as these are up to 15 (18?) additional opponents.
The examples however are still not logically consistent, resting in between mobs helps if you want to employ a certain tactic (like grease followed up with a firebolt, or similar synergies) or if you want to use higher damage skills that have a limited amount of uses. The sickness is how stealth and initiating combat works in conjunction especially with a ranged component. What symptoms that sickness has is up to you, really. You can use the rogue with stealth attacks, a cleric with a ranged cantrip or high damage level 2 spells (with resting in between), or you can use Lae'Zel with a shortbow and a low chance to hit. Any fight will eventually be done.

I would eventually accept you can come back to a fight you left in the middle if the battle scene was updated afterwards. I mean, in pnp, if you kill a minotaur on a spot and there is another, don't expect the DM to be like "Ok, the next day, as you approach, you can see there is the other one still there waiting, like nothing had happened". No there will probably be reinforcements. Or the minotaur will have set up an ambush. Those kind of things.

I would like the game to be more responsive instead of assuming if we want to split the fight between long rests, it's only updating the number of enemies according to who you killed earlier and that's it.

That's why, even if it's not a popular opinion, random encounters or reinforcement mechanics should be implemented in the game.

Last edited by Nyanko; 09/11/20 04:21 PM.
Tuv Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Tuv

I see the reasoning to implement the camp as a social hub. Many games have done that before. Mass Effect had the Normandy, Dragon Age had the camp. I also see it in a D&D setting, when in PnP. A place where players come together, talk about what happens next, what has happened and to play out certain situations. I suppose it is also some form of saving in PnP and it does serve as a pacing tool. However in BG3, you do have to rest a lot, simply for narrative reasons, so you do not miss interactions with companions that might have relevant info, or you might even need to rest to advance the story. When you are in the middle of the dungeon and suddenly move out into the same camp area you've always been in, this is not helping immersion or atmosphere.

At the same time it is a gameplay necessity, because fights are challenging and you need to make use of resources. The more resources you have, the easier it is. This means that player experience is very inconsistent, as is difficulty. Also some companions, like Shadowheart, are very dependent on the availability of their skills and are somewhere on the range of being invaluable or worthless.

Hence BG2 did it better, resting was just a simple click so you can immediately replenish stuff, and story elements were played out only rarely with resting and the rest happened in the game world. So you were not taken out of the immersion, you simply camped, it was only slightly impeding gameplay, too, since resting was generally fast and available. At the same time, the mechanic was there, so it adhered to rules.

Maybe just add an option or a button that reads "End the day, go to camp and sleep". Basically the short rest button with a camp animation like in BG2. Auto-skip all dialog to the beginning of the day rather than the night before.

Do we have any information about the tadpole plot starting and finishing on the map we have in EA? The last 2-3 interactions could probably not have happened for a few players, myself included. My first playthrough was "done" and I felt that I had played some amazing dnd, not using ground effects and barrels much, resting only little (I just bought in the urgency for fun) and mostly going with dice rolls.

I really hope they move some story progression away from camp, like feeling sick with Laezel trying to murder you. Or Shadowheart having her magic-moments when it is less opportune, that already happens once in the blighted village.
As you mention, mostly all story happened in the gameworld in BG2 and Larian hopefully just takes what works.

The dreams have to be at night, that much I agree. The rest though, much more atmospheric somewhere else but the camp. My flavor.

Gameplay, yeah, it's dnd. We gotta rest. It is a central mechanic in dnd and in BG3 kinda.

Picking fights and clearing another group with only cantrips and items before resting exists already but it is hidden gameplay wise. There is some amazing dnd to be had alredy. Ff people can be made to stealth & explore, position & prepare more before fights, they too could stretch out their day and feel good about having acomplished 2 days worth in one

In my runs Shadowheart gets to do stuff aside from casting the prepared spells and maybe if people just used more what they gather, resting might not feel like such a necessity/chore as it naturally occurs less.

Most players aren't incentivized to use items much. The skillbar-default settings are global and mean chaos or barely order. "Real" spells do lots of damage, why not just rest? Item usage is either not impactful enough or it blows up the damn map laugh

Lots to do in EA

Last edited by Tuv; 09/11/20 06:43 PM.
R
old hand
old hand
R
Originally Posted by Tuv
Maybe just add an option or a button that reads "End the day, go to camp and sleep". Basically the short rest button with a camp animation like in BG2. Auto-skip all dialog to the beginning of the day rather than the night before.

Do we have any information about the tadpole plot starting and finishing on the map we have in EA? The last 2-3 interactions could probably not have happened for a few players, myself included. My first playthrough was "done" and I felt that I had played some amazing dnd, not using ground effects and barrels much, resting only little (I just bought in the urgency for fun) and mostly going with dice rolls.

I really hope they move some story progression away from camp, like feeling sick with Laezel trying to murder you. Or Shadowheart having her magic-moments when it is less opportune, that already happens once in the blighted village.
As you mention, mostly all story happened in the gameworld in BG2 and Larian hopefully just takes what works.

The dreams have to be at night, that much I agree. The rest though, much more atmospheric somewhere else but the camp. My flavor.

Gameplay, yeah, it's dnd. We gotta rest. It is a central mechanic in dnd and in BG3 kinda.

Picking fights and clearing another group with only cantrips and items before resting exists already but it is hidden gameplay wise. There is some amazing dnd to be had alredy. Ff people can be made to stealth & explore, position & prepare more before fights, they too could stretch out their day and feel good about having acomplished 2 days worth in one

In my runs Shadowheart gets to do stuff aside from casting the prepared spells and maybe if people just used more what they gather, resting might not feel like such a necessity/chore as it naturally occurs less.

Most players aren't incentivized to use items much. The skillbar-default settings are global and mean chaos or barely order. "Real" spells do lots of damage, why not just rest? Item usage is either not impactful enough or it blows up the damn map laugh

Lots to do in EA

Considering that people (some) are already complaining about the items to use, I don't know if it's such a good idea.
Most of the problems with the camp would have been resolved if the game announced that there was something new in the camp.
A brief "we should rest" message from any character would be good.
Thanks to this, you would not have to wonder whether it is worth returning to the camp or not.

Last edited by Rhobar121; 09/11/20 07:02 PM.
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Rhobar121

Considering that people (some) are already complaining about the items to use, I don't know if it's such a good idea.
Most of the problems with the camp would have been resolved if the game announced that there was something new in the camp.
Thanks to this, you would not have to wonder whether it is worth returning to the camp or not.

But the 'We should rest' message either from our main character or the companions seem to be so random sometimes it makes me wonder what triggers it. It happens even when my characters have almost all their spells still available and are full health. And I am like 'What for exactly?'.

Besides, I don't want a game to do the job of deciding if my party should rest or not for me. I have eyes and I can evaluate by myself when it's the proper time. That's what we call 'Party management', isn't it?

Last edited by Nyanko; 09/11/20 07:28 PM.
R
old hand
old hand
R
Originally Posted by Rhobar121

But the 'We should rest' message either from our main character or the companions seem to be so random sometimes it makes me wonder what triggers it. It happens even when my characters have almost all their spells still available and are full health. And I am like 'What for exactly?'.

Besides, I don't want a game to do the job of deciding if my party should rest or not for me. I have eyes and I can evaluate by myself when it's the proper time. That's what we call 'Party management', isn't it?

It has to be resolved somehow, and a compromise seems to be the best.
I would prefer them to focus on more important things, such as combat problems, instead of rebuilding a large part of the game.

Last edited by Rhobar121; 09/11/20 07:43 PM.
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard