Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 27 28
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
So Larian decided it is ok to perpetuate negative sterotypes with their depiction of Goblins. But what is even more insidious is they allow you to kill children in BG3 but only the nasty green skinned ones.

Try killing a Tiefling child and you arent able to.

so what is the message here Larian?

G
stranger
stranger
G
Games are generally not meant to reflect real life, so maybe try not to put so much emphasis on being offended. The genre is called 'Fantasy' for a reason.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes
So Larian decided it is ok to perpetuate negative sterotypes with their depiction of Goblins. But what is even more insidious is they allow you to kill children in BG3 but only the nasty green skinned ones.

it's not that deep, dude...

journeyman
journeyman
Offended!

W
veteran
veteran
W
Can we just not.

I feel like a lot of people are either trolling or looking for reasons to be offended. People trying to compare IRL racism with some fantasy creatures like Orcs, Goblins, etc., when there are literally minority humans in game, or trying to find some hidden message to be offended at instead of looking to real world issues.

In all honesty it should be across the board though. Larian should either 1.) Not have any children being killed because of backlash they'll get from the parents or 2.) Everyone can be killed.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Rofl. It has nothing to do with the fact that goblins, by nature, are evil and cruel. Nope.

Stop getting so angry at a video game, lordy.

veteran
veteran
whaaat? who does not want to kill goblins?

[Linked Image]

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Same rules for all. If it lives and our characters are strong enough to defeat it they should have the option to attemt to do so. 'Real' world politics should not need to be reflected in games. It reminds me of some professors talking about the actuality and current relevance of literary classics as if relating to current events were the best way to make a classic. grin

I sometimes use thought experiments. I don't necessarily believe in every idea I post for discussion on this forum
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by ArmouredHedgehog
Same rules for all. If it lives and our characters are strong enough to defeat it they should have the option to attemt to do so. 'Real' world politics should not need to be reflected in games. It reminds me of some professors talking about the actuality and current relevance of literary classics as if relating to current events were the best way to make a classic. grin

True! But in some parts of the world (I think Europe?), the rating changes MASSIVELY if children can be killed/are seen dying.
I think goblins are okay because they are 'monsters'. Even in D&D, goblins are evil and cruel. Whereas Tieflings are people, playable in the PHB.

But getting upset over it? Well, some people just aren't happy unless they're tilting at the next windmill.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Yes, there are strange rules here on the good old continent when it comes to such things. Here in germany we only recently allowed swastikas in games, as if they would magically make those seeing them plot genocide.
If a game does not allow such things, someone will make a mod. Banning it in the first place is pointless. But it sure does allow some people to play flame wars on forums. Fortunately it seems to happen rarely here.

I sometimes use thought experiments. I don't necessarily believe in every idea I post for discussion on this forum
stranger
stranger

I think we should be able to kill them especially if your a paladin they are demonically tained after all and goblins are just as sentient as tieflings

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by EndymionSelene

I think we should be able to kill them especially if your a paladin they are demonically tained after all and goblins are just as sentient as tieflings

Except, by the D&D rules/settings, goblins are evil and Teiflings can be any alignment.

I would think a Paladin mass slaughtering Teiflings would lose his powers and alignment, as it would be an evil act. Since the Teifling race is not evil.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Eguzky
Rofl. It has nothing to do with the fact that goblins, by nature, are evil and cruel. Nope.

Stop getting so angry at a video game, lordy.

This isnt the case.

WOTC have stated that no races in D&D are inherently evil anymore.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 17/10/20 09:50 AM.
N
old hand
old hand
N
What are you talking about? You can kill anyone you want in the game. So it's up to you whether you spare the goblin kids and kill the tieflings, or you kill both, or you kill none. Nobody is holding up your hand.

Last edited by Nyanko; 17/10/20 09:52 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Nyanko
What are you talking about? You can kill anyone you want in the game. So it's up to you whether you spare the goblin kids and kill the tieflings, or you kill both, or you kill none. Nobody is holding up your hand.

If you can also kill the tiefling kids then theres no issue here, I read you could if you chose to side with the drow / goblins.

So you can kill the goblin kids, the tiefling kids, or none of them correct?

I don't know, but you tell me, please. I am literally curious to see who are the goblins and who are the tieflings counterparts in your head.

enthusiast
enthusiast
The OP is just having a laugh obviously.

I found it hilarious. personally.

#NSPCGC

Love and sausages xx
D
stranger
stranger
D
I thought that goblins are people now. Moreover, each goblin is an adventurer with class and skills.
With that said, i think player should be able to attack (and kill, eventually) any creature in the game.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by DumbleDorf

This isnt the case.

WOTC have stated that no races in D&D are inherently evil anymore.

It's still up to the DM, nothing WotC can do or say changes that.

Also, we need to distinguish between goblins as a race and goblin society/culture. While individual goblins may not be evil, their society/culture as a whole is definitely evil. It's a society built on the strong bullying the weak, cruelty, torture and destruction.

Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 27 28

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard