Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 28 1 2 3 4 27 28
V
V
Originally Posted by ArmouredHedgehog
Yes, there are strange rules here on the good old continent when it comes to such things. Here in germany we only recently allowed swastikas in games, as if they would magically make those seeing them plot genocide.
If a game does not allow such things, someone will make a mod. Banning it in the first place is pointless. But it sure does allow some people to play flame wars on forums. Fortunately it seems to happen rarely here.

This is not entirely correct. They are allowed now, if the art of the game demands it (just like it was before with paintings, caricatures, movies), and/or if they fulfill the purpose of education. They just sort of opened the law up towards video games, so they are more considered art. The symbols are still banned and unconstitutional and a game like Battlefield would not necessarily be allowed to have them. In case of Wolfenstein it could have gone either way, really. I am not a fan of the new ruling, as categorizing games as art I find often stretched, and there is room for abuse and/or worthless additions to games.

On the topic at hand, if you can indeed kill gobbo childs, this is one of those worthless additions, and from a moral POV, regardless of what the rules or the lore says, this would be the decision of a madman and universally "evil". Plus of course picturing a race as inherently evil is obviously incorrect, as it is all subjective if you think of gobbo as a sentient race with culture, and is also sort of contrary to lore, as in SoD you can recruit a gobbo shaman, who has a somewhat gentle heart even.

journeyman
journeyman
You can let the tiefling kids die. It's like you're completely blind to the scenario and circumstances at hand. The tiefling kids do something stupid, like get drawn in by harpies or steal from the druids and it can cost them their lives if you don't save them. The goblin kids are hitting a bear with stones and you can choose to kill the bear or the goblin kids. Honestly I find the goblins much more shitty than the tieflings.

It depends on how you play, so what in the world are you getting so unnecessarily triggered over?

T
stranger
stranger
T
Goblins aren't real though

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by ArmouredHedgehog
Yes, there are strange rules here on the good old continent when it comes to such things. Here in germany we only recently allowed swastikas in games, as if they would magically make those seeing them plot genocide.

Didn't realise you had relaxed the rules on the swastika. As a keen modeller, do you realise how many kit decal sets I had to modify because they didn't include swastikas for the tail? Of course, I blame you, personally, for my life-changing issues.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
I'm also highly offended that the game encourages you to ruin the plan of the mind-flayers. That's denying them their culture and imposing non-mind-flayer values on them. I am appalled.

I also see that Larian have included devils. What message is that to send? We are going to have a generation of devil-worshippers if this is allowed to continue!

S
addict
addict
S
Trigger warning. Goblins are oppressed by stereotype/lore. Don't play this game if you're an ideological zealot.

Why do people make fun of the OP only asking for continuity, the game is marketed under "inclusiveness" and other modern politics bullshit.

His request is sensible.

addict
addict
At this point, so many silly complaints have been lodged over absolutely nothing that I can't tell if this is a legitimate concern or satire.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

V
V
Originally Posted by Tzelanit
At this point, so many silly complaints have been lodged over absolutely nothing that I can't tell if this is a legitimate concern or satire.

Well the complaint is either that you can kill kids in this game, or that you can not kill all kids in this game. Honestly this should be out of the question totally, but the OP is correct that it is at least a double standard, especially when your game is otherwise trying to be very inclusive.

It is also not consistent with the current lore, as in SoD you at least can have a goblin follower, who is true neutral and a rather gentle soul, too. It is said that she is this way, because of her maturity, so she might be an outlier, however does mean that Goblins are not absolute evil. This does not matter either, as the morals of the story are a reflection of today's morals. And in today's morals killing of infants or kids is universally condemned, especially deliberate. Going against that code of conduct is so rare, that the need of representation through implementation of it is inherently worthless.

H
stranger
stranger
H
This is some kind of "Green lifes matter" message?

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
At this point, I have no idea.

Troll, SJW, highly-sensitive, champion of the small goblinoid people, legitimate concern... it could be anything. I long ago gave up thinking that people made sense in the modern world.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by VincentNZ

Well the complaint is either that you can kill kids in this game, or that you can not kill all kids in this game. Honestly this should be out of the question totally, but the OP is correct that it is at least a double standard, especially when your game is otherwise trying to be very inclusive.

It is also not consistent with the current lore, as in SoD you at least can have a goblin follower, who is true neutral and a rather gentle soul, too. It is said that she is this way, because of her maturity, so she might be an outlier, however does mean that Goblins are not absolute evil. This does not matter either, as the morals of the story are a reflection of today's morals. And in today's morals killing of infants or kids is universally condemned, especially deliberate. Going against that code of conduct is so rare, that the need of representation through implementation of it is inherently worthless.

Because it couldn't be something as simple as a minor oversight on flagging NPCs or have something to do with alignment, right? This is clearly some agenda that we need to quell before it gets out of hand. ouch

stranger
stranger
Isn't it more the question about consistency?
If goblins can be killed so should humans and elves which IMHO is much better (so basically what FO2 did, rather than F3).
Although, if no other way (which probably is the case in order to please SJ warriors), none should be allowed to be killed as a compromise. I guess what I'm trying to say there should be all of them or none of them allowed, for the sake of consistency.

Well you can ally with the goblins and wipe out the druid grove entirely, which is what I'm doing on my evil drow playthrough, so what the heck are you people going on about? xD

enthusiast
enthusiast
For the sake of consistency, just remove killing altogether. Adults are just as cute, why we killing the adults?

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Kill them softly with our song.

Bring up the Bard.

V
V

Because it couldn't be something as simple as a minor oversight on flagging NPCs or have something to do with alignment, right? This is clearly some agenda that we need to quell before it gets out of hand. ouch

Sure, could be, but even then the OP is correct in calling this out as a bug. Still I suppose you are talking about Tiefling kids not being attackable and not Goblin kids being attackable. The problem with having that option is that, while the game wanting to represent contemporary moral standards and also include being able to open a wide variety of choices, they do not offer the corresponding consequences. Does the killing of the Gobbo kids remove the option to side with the goblin camp? It should. It should also have several other consequences like companions leaving, quest givers not giving quests anymore, certain factions or NPCs being hostile on sight, restricting certain traders, increase trading prices and so forth. So it would reflect the consequences of the real world, they are trying to represent in a fantasy setting.

addict
addict

Sure, could be, but even then the OP is correct in calling this out as a bug. Still I suppose you are talking about Tiefling kids not being attackable and not Goblin kids being attackable. The problem with having that option is that, while the game wanting to represent contemporary moral standards and also include being able to open a wide variety of choices, they do not offer the corresponding consequences. Does the killing of the Gobbo kids remove the option to side with the goblin camp? It should. It should also have several other consequences like companions leaving, quest givers not giving quests anymore, certain factions or NPCs being hostile on sight, restricting certain traders, increase trading prices and so forth. So it would reflect the consequences of the real world, they are trying to represent in a fantasy setting.

Contemporary moral standards don't apply in a fantasy setting.
To most people in Faerûn goblins are nothing more than dangerous pests, so most people would be ok with anyone doing pest control. Traders/merchants and travelers would more than likely be grateful that you've made the roads a little safer to travel.
And let's be honest ... if you're slaughtering them, you're unlikely to want to forge an alliance with them anyway.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
I'm playing a dwarf. Goblins are my traditional enemy and I'm sworn to wipe them out where I find them. One of the characters is a dwarf ranger and is not going to be best pleased at goblin kids teasing the wildlife (my future dwarf druid will be even more angry).

Goblin children will grow to be goblins. Kill them all. Genocide is not only right, but it is my duty!

That's playing in the Forgotten Realms for you.

addict
addict

It's being reported in the General forum and not the Bug forum, and the inclusion of the silly bait that is "So what is the message here, Larian?" makes it very clear that OP isn't a concerned member of the EA process in this case.
It's just another fake virtue-signaling baitpost meant to challenge the integrity of a developer that we can safely disregard and throw into the tire fire of similar posts like "This is not Baldur's Gate 3, it's Divinity: Original Sin 3" and "I'm an SJW and I'm offended by comments on the Steam forums so please moderate them better."

Page 2 of 28 1 2 3 4 27 28

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard