Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 28 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 27 28
H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
Just let the player do whatever he wants. Why is everybody rolling on their back for a couple of pixels on the screen. Its like , killing a 18/21 years old male human is okay, but killing a teenagers goblin isn't, are you for real?
Also, its okay to kill a village, but its not okay to kill some NPC because they appears younger? Uh? What about gnome and dwarf , then? They may be as small as children, but you'd happily slaughter them just because they have a better armor class, an axe, and lived a few more years.

If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt
addict
addict
Originally Posted by DumbleDorf
The fact that you can't kill tiefling kids isnt because they are good, their alignment, or because of anything to do with storytelling. it is an oversight of political correctness issues like in many other games where they make children unkillable for political and legal matters, such as some countries banning games where you can kill children.

But the presence of the two killable goblin children show that they have completely overlooked this, and are applying that logic inconsistently. I do not think that any legal issue would arise it all the children in this game happened to be killable, just as they already were in BG1&2.

'Evil' in D&D doesn't designate what you get to kill or dont get to kill, as you are meant to have the choice to play as good or evil yourself. The fact that we can join the goblins and create a raid on the Druid camp shows that we can clearly play as evil in this game, and as such there is no reason from a lore perspective as to why only the evil goblin children should be killable.

It doesn't affect you if another player chooses to do an evil playthrough and kill everyone, children included in the Druid camp, just as much as it doesn't if anyone does the typical same thing with killing everyone and the children in the goblin camp.

The point that you are missing as so are others is that at the end of the day, this is Larian's story. They are the Dungeon Master and we, the players, choose what to do in that story, per what the DM (Larian) decides what we are allowed to do. If I'm the DM, I'm the one telling the players were the go, who they fight and who they are allowed to kill. It's up to the players to choose what they want to do based on the options I give them. You can choose to play the story or walk away. It seems like hardcore DnD gamers are getting too wrapped up in the lore and the rules and are turning to nitpicking and dictating to Larian how to make a DnD game. When the core of DnD is all about storytelling, and Larian is the storyteller.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Hachina
Just let the player do whatever he wants. Why is everybody rolling on their back for a couple of pixels on the screen. Its like , killing a 18/21 years old male human is okay, but killing a teenagers goblin isn't, are you for real?
Also, its okay to kill a village, but its not okay to kill some NPC because they appears younger? Uh? What about gnome and dwarf , then? They may be as small as children, but you'd happily slaughter them just because they have a better armor class, an axe, and lived a few more years.

I agree, people should play the game however they want. The problem is that said people want Larian to change the game to their liking and completely disregard what others might like. I've seen threads where one person wants the gore and nudity removed so she can play with her kids. When this is game is rated MA. Another thread wants Larian to remove the scene where Astarion tries to feed on your character because to her it's glorifying sexual assault and it's offensive. Some of these threads nitpick the game too much, it's ridiculous and takes the fun away from playing these game. I hope Larian continues to make the game the way they want to make it. People need to keep their own personal ideologies to themselves instead to forcing it on a video game.

H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
Originally Posted by Lady Avyna

I agree, people should play the game however they want. The problem is that said people want Larian to change the game to their liking and completely disregard what others might like. I've seen threads where one person wants the gore and nudity removed so she can play with her kids. When this is game is rated MA. Another thread wants Larian to remove the scene where Astarion tries to feed on your character because to her it's glorifying sexual assault and it's offensive. Some of these threads nitpick the game too much, it's ridiculous and takes the fun away from playing these game. I hope Larian continues to make the game the way they want to make it. People need to keep their own personal ideologies to themselves instead to forcing it on a video game.

Yeah, 100% agree. It's crazy how some people just want to censor the game.

Last edited by Hachina; 19/10/20 12:58 AM.

If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt
old hand
old hand

If you wouldn't like killing the tieflings then don't kill the tieflings.

Making all NPCs killable doesn't ruin the game for you.

It has nothing to with this being a D&D game or what the DM says when it is simply political censorship as with most such video games.

addict
addict

It has nothing to with this being a D&D game or what the DM says when it is simply political censorship as with most such video games.

How is it political censorship? They're fictional races. Not everything a game does is political. That's nitpicking.

addict
addict

Agree, I find it funny how some people get offended over fictional characters.

enthusiast
enthusiast

The point that you are missing as so are others is that at the end of the day, this is Larian's story. They are the Dungeon Master and we, the players, choose what to do in that story, per what the DM (Larian) decides what we are allowed to do. If I'm the DM, I'm the one telling the players were the go, who they fight and who they are allowed to kill. It's up to the players to choose what they want to do based on the options I give them. You can choose to play the story or walk away. It seems like hardcore DnD gamers are getting too wrapped up in the lore and the rules and are turning to nitpicking and dictating to Larian how to make a DnD game. When the core of DnD is all about storytelling, and Larian is the storyteller.

Hi, I have been playing since AD&D and have been a perma GM for two decades. While I am not really invested in the discussion I feel the need to point out that this is an extremely spicy take. What you described is known as railroading in the pen and paper community and is seen under a very poor light unanimously. You are the storyteller but you are telling the players story. Their choices matter just as much if not more than yours and the only time it is considered okay to tell a player what they can and cannot do is when there is a mechanical reason for it or to prevent in group conflict with obvious incendiary choices(such as PvP). I'm not disagreeing with you per se but please don't give the impression that this is the norm or standard in the tabletop community.

Last edited by Argonaut; 19/10/20 01:21 AM.

I am here to discuss a video game. Please do not try to rope me into anything other than that. Thank you.
old hand
old hand

How is it political censorship? They're fictional races. Not everything a game does is political. That's nitpicking.

The literal reason for why children are unkillable in games is because of politics and people complaining about video game violence. It has absolutely nothing at all to do with the DM / D&D / Storytelling or any off your made up excuses.

The fact is that all NPCs including children could be killed in previous BG games, and they are choosing to pick that its ok to kill just goblin children in this game but not the children of any other race which is hypocritical to WOTCs statements of evil no longer being a race based mechanic in D&D.

The only nitpicking is trying to defend this as though it has anything at all to do with D&D when it is in fact an industry standard based entirely on politics.

H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H

Agree, I find it funny how some people get offended over fictional characters.

I know right, it's like they suffered some personal slight because the character doesn't want to be BFF. can't separate fiction from real life.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Argonaut

Hi, I have been playing since AD&D and have been a perma GM for two decades. While I am not really invested in the discussion I feel the need to point out that this is an extremely spicy take. What you described is known as railroading in the pen and paper community and is seen under a very poor light unanimously. You are the storyteller but you are telling the players story. Their choices matter just as much if not more than yours and the only time it is considered okay to tell a player what they can and cannot do is when there is a mechanical reason for it or to prevent in group conflict with obvious incendiary choices(such as PvP). I'm not disagreeing with you per se but please don't give the impression that this is the norm or standard in the tabletop community.

I understand but what I been seeing is that when it comes to how someone is telling a story and someone doesn't like it, they will come out and say that the storyteller is wrong. I've seen people play pen and paper DnD make some weird characters or decisions but that's the fun part of telling a story. WOTC even encourages this. As they have stated that the main part of DnD is telling a story and how you tell a story, but there are players that are getting too dogmatic about DnD. Thereby, not making it seem fun. I feel like "hardcore" DnD players are nitpicking the game based on how they play DnD, the rules and the lore. Which I heard are supposed to me more for guidelines and not to dictate how someone plays the game. If a "hardcore" DnD player is all about rules and lore, that will discourage someone who may be new to DnD and feel like it's too hard to get into because they will feel like there are too many rules to playing this game.

H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
Originally Posted by Argonaut

Not in video game. You may have some liberty when you're playing Baldurs gate1, but its still the story of a Bhaalspawn, you're still gorion ward, and you're still going to kill Sarevok at the end, no matter what. Baldur's gate3 is definitely Larian story before anything else, just like Baldurs gate 2 was Obsidian and black isle story. You may interract within the border defined by them, with the degree of liberty than they decide, and that's that.

old hand
old hand
Racial issues have sparked so much discussion
Godwin's Law time
[Linked Image]

Since goblins and their children are bad, then what? The final solution of the goblin question by the paladinS?

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
old hand
old hand
Well that's what I'm thinking, what makes the Goblin children so evil that its ok to kill them but not other races children?

Being raised in a society that tells them its ok to throw rocks at a bear?

Surely the solution isn't to kill them for that, but to rescue them from such a society, maybe by adopting them into a better one.

Or making efforts to increase the social inclusion and welfare of Goblins as a whole.

But hey if you're going to just sit there and go 'Its just a game, its evil goblin kids, so what if you kill them?', then let me also be able to kill the tiefling kids too?

Would it be ok to Kill Shrek's kids because they're ogres or some such? And in fact Shrek should demonstrate the whole reason why the idea of 'good races vs bad races' is inherently flawed.

H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
Well that's what I'm thinking, what makes the Goblin children so evil that its ok to kill them but not other races children?

Surely the solution isn't to kill them for that, but to rescue them from such a society, maybe by adopting them into a better one.

Or making efforts to increase the social inclusion and welfare of Goblins as a whole.

But hey if you're going to just sit there and go 'Its just a game, its evil goblin kids, so what if you kill them?', then let me also be able to kill the tiefling kids too?

Would it be ok to Kill Shrek's kids because they're ogres or some such? And in fact Shrek should demonstrate the whole reason why the idea of 'good races vs bad races' is inherently flawed.

It's a story. In this story, goblin are bad, and their kid are bad , and the race is bad. Because its fantasy. You may or may not like the story. You may find it grim, pessimistic for poor goblins or inherently flawed. But in this world, goblin are ruthless , cruel, evil creature and you can't do anything about them.
And no, you can't take a balor home and make it into your puppy. Sorry.

old hand
old hand

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebensborn

The superiority of the tiefling race over the goblin race still needs to be proven, in any case.
There were people here who wanted to play for the goblin race, at least I saw a couple of people on this forum

The drow are evil too, but I don't want to kill their children or commit genocide of this race. There are neutral drow, maybe there are neutral goblins as well?

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
addict
addict
Originally Posted by OneManArmy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebensborn

The superiority of the tiefling race over the goblin race still needs to be proven, in any case.
There were people here who wanted to play for the goblin race, at least I saw a couple of people

I don't think that this has anything to do with superiority but the fact that the Tieflings have a human origin, from Humans making pacts with demons. In the game they are referred to as half human or half demon. When it comes to Goblins they are seen usually as evil with no human origin but a completely different race. I can see Larian keeping up with that stereotype of Goblins being evil, which is why you can kill them.

apprentice
apprentice
OMG you can kill an Ogre woman!! FEMICIDE!!!1111 FEMALE ABUSE! You can even eavesdr0p her while she's NAKED!!! SEXUAL HARRRAAAAASSSSS

old hand
old hand
#GoblinsArePeopleToo
Racial discrimination

You can kill the children of an intelligent creature that is able to communicate, only because of its genes and origin

And you cannot kill tieflings

People would not give a damn about it, in fact, if it was possible to kill everyone, or not to kill any of the children. But we see injustice, inequality. One intelligent race was placed above another intelligent race because of its origin. It's one thing in the gaming world, by Lore
bad attitude towards goblins, it's ok. Other when the developers decided it. That children of one race cannot die, and that of another race can.

I would of course kill children throwing stones at a bear with pleasure in a good walkthrough, but how are they worse than tieflings?
From the point of view of an outside observer. Maybe I want to kill tiefling children who tried to deceive me and sell the "magic" ring, why can't I do it, but and can kill goblins child?

addict
addict
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
#GoblinsArePeopleToo
Racial discrimination

You can kill the children of an intelligent creature that is able to communicate, only because of its genes and origin

And you cannot kill tieflings

People would not give a damn about it, in fact, if it was possible to kill everyone, or not to kill any of the children. But we see injustice, inequality. One intelligent race was placed above another intelligent race because of its origin. It's one thing in the gaming world, by Lore
bad attitude towards goblins, it's ok. Other when the developers decided it. That children of one race cannot die, and that of another race can.

I would of course kill children throwing stones at a bear with pleasure in a good walkthrough, but how are they worse than tieflings?
from the point of view of an outside observer

#GoblinsArePeopleToo and Racial discrimination? I hope that you are just trolling with that. If not, I hope you realize that these races don't exist in real life. They are make believe and we are to just have fun in a fictional video game world.

Last edited by Lady Avyna; 19/10/20 03:10 AM.
Page 6 of 28 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 27 28

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard