Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
CTR #703482 17/10/20 06:26 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
This thread is still going and OP has not replied even once.

Eddiar #703494 17/10/20 06:30 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Eddiar

By God, he was just a Steam forums troll sent here rile the populace. Curse you OP!

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by Sadurian
Originally Posted by Saryle
A little off topic but I find it funny how you say that Americans are afraid of nudity. I find american culture full of sex themes personally lol. I felt like such a prude there. Well Utah is probably different but I've never been there.

In Europe we get our impression of the USA from the extremes. If a town bans shorts on decency grounds then we hear about it. We don't hear or care about all the other places. At the other end of the scale, we see the clips and photos of 'Walmart people' wearing highly inappropriate clothing and showing bodies that might be better off left decently covered.

Like every other nation on Earth, the USA is viewed through a lens distorted by stereotype, media images and a love of the bizarre and outrageous.

Therefore, all Americans are fat, virulently racist or virulently antifa, afraid of nudity, conservatively religious, and go around singing the Star Spangled Banner at the drop of a hat.

Well I mean, I lived there for some time and made my own impression. I just think they are more open about sex and nudity than they think. And stereotypes are always bad, I felt it myself getting all those "vodka" jokes haha.

Saryle #703515 17/10/20 06:38 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I have to say that there have been a lot of coherent and well thought out comments in this thread. I really appreciate them.

Originally Posted by Orbax

Oh yeah, if this is about censorship or kid gloves or child-proofing the game then there is no question - this is a mature game with explicit content. Full stop. The main question is: are there certain things that are low effort, high impact, that could lower the age floor for being able to passively consume, if not play, it? The history of games has shown it to be possible, effective, not barring them from being blockbuster successes, and something that has demand. The feasibility of it will be contingent on things like them making design decisions to have storyline dialog and responses done whilst in [explicit situation]. Or, if they hear feedback early, do they decide to separate the two - making it so the disabling of one doesn't disable the other and allows them granular control of two things they are offering: 1. Sex & Violence 2. Story. If they divorce the two it gives them more control, anyway, and might allow them the benefit of extending a different experience than the one they have chosen to offer as their preferred curated experience.

Yeah, it's low effort, I'm just personally not sure if it will have high impact. But if you and some others think it will then yeah, why not have that toggle, it will not hurt anyone.

I quoted these two comments because I think that the idea of "whitewashing the gore" completely ignores the adult concepts in this game....I mean there is NO way that the idea of having a parasite/tadpole in one's brain is less adult than any amount of blood or nudity, and I've seen NONE of the comments on "add a child safe mode" that address this serious point.

clavis #703518 17/10/20 06:40 PM
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by clavis
[quote=clavis]
A little off topic but I find it funny how you say that Americans are afraid of nudity. I find american culture full of sex themes personally lol. I felt like such a prude there. Well Utah is probably different but I've never been there.

Sexual themes is different it's merely naughty, and at times offensive to some. Nudity is a different thing it's for the large part completely wrong. Even a covered breast as your feeding your little brat is seen as offensive. Yet it is fine to show scantily clad women draped over something in an erotic manner.... Swear I need to move to Europe or something..

It's why Americans are often viewed as they are sexual themes oooooh yeaaaaaah!! Nudity - omg Ethel don't look!! Thats barbaric, distasteful, yadda, yadda yadda, go shower with your clothes on hypocrit.

As for how it is part of the topic. It's a point that instead of using it as a learning experience, or even heaven forbid as a way for a person to grow up comfortable in their own body. (neither a religious or political view just a statement.) we instead try to keep it hidden. Much like the skeletons in my closet. It's the same with gore, video games can be a learning experience for kids. Teach them the difference between what is right or wrong, cause and effect.

For instance with the way I taught my heathens, I actually stupidly, took them to the store (not the stupid part) Held open the door for them, and then brain fart, turned took a step and walked into the door that I was holding. My youngest (the demon) laughed, because it was funny, and stated 'Dad, that was stupid, your not spose to do that.' (she was around 6 or 7) People were offended that she not only laughed, but told me it was stupid for me to do.

Wtelf/wtf with few more words. It was both stupid, and hilarious at the same time. Yet even with all that, if I look at one of my (now not so young) kids to this day. They stop what they are saying/doing because they know it's time to stop.

sorry rant/ramble yada yada, baby yoda over. Just wanted to show if you use things as a learning experience, and not taboo like nudity in a game, or blood/gore/violence etc, it's not a bad thing. and can actually while you still remain the parent, be a good thing.

I agree with you. I've said it already, but I think it's perfectly fine for kids to see some nudity and gore. I played Mortal Kombat when I was six and I turned out fine (I think lol). Protecting children from everything might do more harm than good in the future.
I'm surprised people would be offended by your daughter's behavior lol.

Orbax #703521 17/10/20 06:42 PM
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by Eddiar

By God, he was just a Steam forums troll sent here rile the populace. Curse you OP!

I do believe it was a troll post just like those "masculine females" and "killing goblin's kids". But sometimes they are fun

CTR #703526 17/10/20 06:43 PM
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Yeah, the threads become balls of wool for the kittens of the forum to play with.

CTR #703533 17/10/20 06:44 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Shouldn't be something too hard to implement. But then again, I bet most teens want to see this stuff even more than we do.

Necromancy is just recycling...
CTR #703541 17/10/20 06:46 PM
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Larian will release some modding tools for the game. I think that should allow people to include (*ahem* Loverslab *ahem*) or exclude content to their hearts delight.
I don't know why people generally think that stereotypes are utterly evil. They are a subclass in the set of heuristics. We would suffer massive cognitive overload without resorting to the use of heuristics. Many of them are wrong some of the time, some are wrong all the time but we simply couldn't do without them. I am a quite steretypical german and therefore biased when it comes to thinking about other stereotypes grin

Last edited by ArmouredHedgehog; 17/10/20 06:48 PM.

I sometimes use thought experiments. I don't necessarily believe in every idea I post for discussion on this forum
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by Newtinmpls

I quoted these two comments because I think that the idea of "whitewashing the gore" completely ignores the adult concepts in this game....I mean there is NO way that the idea of having a parasite/tadpole in one's brain is less adult than any amount of blood or nudity, and I've seen NONE of the comments on "add a child safe mode" that address this serious point.

I tried to say that this game has more problems than just blood and nudity. You're right that the whole idea of the game is mature. You need to butcher the whole game to make it children friendly(which I definitely don't want to) but some people think just blood/nudity toggle could make big difference and well it probably would for them.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by ArmouredHedgehog
Larian will release some modding tools for the game. I think that should allow people to include (*ahem* Loverslab *ahem*) or exclude content to their hearts delight.

Lover's lab or lover slab? I'm not sure which option is worse.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
I don't know why people generally think that stereotypes are utterly evil. They are a subclass in the set of heuristics. We would suffer massive cognitive overload without resorting to the use of heuristics. Many of them are wrong some of the time, some are wrong all the time but we simply couldn't do without them. I am a quite steretypical german and therefore biased when it comes to thinking about other stereotypes grin

So instead of vodka jokes you get beer jokes?

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by Sadurian

Lover's lab or lover slab? I'm not sure which option is worse.

It depends on what you are into

Saryle #703571 17/10/20 06:56 PM
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo

Schnapps, surely.

When offered a drink he schnapps up the offer.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Newtinmpls
I think that the idea of "whitewashing the gore" completely ignores the adult concepts in this game....I mean there is NO way that the idea of having a parasite/tadpole in one's brain is less adult than any amount of blood or nudity, and I've seen NONE of the comments on "add a child safe mode" that address this serious point.

There is the intro cutscene, the time you watch it crawl out of that dead dudes face and thats about it. Im 170 hours in and it really doesnt come up other thing in dialog where "squiggle, it squiggles squiggeledly at the squiggley thought, in turn making you squiggly". After the initial shock of the intro, kind of fades away from any real horror element.

also, cheers to your first comment smile

Last edited by Orbax; 17/10/20 06:57 PM.

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
Saryle #703575 17/10/20 06:56 PM
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A

some people think just blood/nudity toggle could make big difference and well it probably would for them.

Precisely. It would make a difference for them. Unfortunately we do not posses a set of perfect moral axioms that could define what is and what is not appropriate for children.
In the village I come from it is normal for 10 year olds to drive 20 ton tractors. The law disagrees, many people disagree but no one here seem to see a problem with it.

I sometimes use thought experiments. I don't necessarily believe in every idea I post for discussion on this forum
Saryle #703576 17/10/20 06:59 PM
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
I am a quite steretypical german and therefore biased when it comes to thinking about other stereotypes grin

No, but many people expect me to know a lot about tanks. Fortunately for me that is the case. grin
I struggled to like beer. After a few months of practice it started to taste better.

Last edited by ArmouredHedgehog; 17/10/20 07:00 PM.

CTR #703584 17/10/20 07:04 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I honestly think by trying to protect children from everything we are doing the opposite. Creating thin skinned, hypocrital, prudes that are not equipped to go out into the real world. We are simply trying to fulfill some ignorant moral code that is causing more harm then good.

so we should in a large part use things that are readily avialable as a teaching tool, like games, (which are readily available in most places) to prepare them, while having fun.

*pounces on the ball of yarn, growling* 'Mine!!' (i wonder if it will help me learn to spell properly)

clavis #703593 17/10/20 07:08 PM
old hand
old hand
I honestly think by trying to protect children from everything we are doing the opposite. Creating thin skinned, hypocrital, prudes that are not equipped to go out into the real world. We are simply trying to fulfill some ignorant moral code that is causing more harm then good.

so we should in a large part use things that are readily avialable as a teaching tool, like games, (which are readily available in most places) to prepare them, while having fun.

*pounces on the ball of yarn, growling* 'Mine!!' (i wonder if it will help me learn to spell properly)

*Vometia has entered the conversation*

lol

Orbax #703597 17/10/20 07:10 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast

*Vometia has entered the conversation*

lol

dont be jelly brah!! I do share, u might lose a finger, paw whatever but I do share...... *whisper* 'unwillingly"

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard